• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Built in Cupboard/Wardrobe Conversion?

Hello :wave:
I'm new to the forum and to Rabbits! Myself, my partner and his daughter are hoping to adopt a couple of rabbits in the future but obviously we are doing all our research first and was wondering if we could convert our built in cupboard/wardrobe into a home for the rabbits? I can upload some photos if this would help but was wondering if anyone has done something similar before?

Many thanks
Sasha :D

Hi Sasha,

Welcome to RU!

What size is the cupboard/wardrobe? I can't see why you couldn't, although that may depend on size! Have you seen our housing sticky? We have lots of examples of indoor housing on there, so you may be able to get some ideas from reading that thread!

Hello! Thanks for the replies [emoji4] the space measures approx 10ft x 3.5ft x 5ft . This will just be there living area when we are sleeping or out at work etc. We plan to have them out free ranging and in a run in the garden as well. I will try to insert some photos of the area. :) we plan to lift the carpet and put tiled lino down, put mesh around the door areas and also make a ramp up to the area where the dog cage is. Just wanted to check this is suitable and any tips or advice to help make this space great for the bunnies would be appreciated 😊
f2ebf569041fab84e2c6956b774181a7.jpg
ac6cd5384e7ea5d2c540c9522533f210.jpg

We have removed the carpet and put down lino tiles. We've also made a ramp but need to attach it. Any tips and advice appreciated as this is all new to us!
85ddb3b0250bb29ed824ca492ceff93e.jpg
22ccc445348d7b95396a8503e2866ff1.jpg

Also the sliding doors will be made permanently open on one side and we have made a wooden gate type thing to go in the open space if that makes any sense lol

just realised none of my photos have worked on the desktop version of the forum so will try again :)

Edit: now they seem to be working!

Last edited:
Hi there, what an exciting project. I love creative ideas like this :-D

We haven't converted a cupboard but we have our indoor bun in a utility room off the kitchen that's about 4.5 x 5.5ft and about 9.5ft tall. We made a mesh door out of a spare run panel we had which works well and as it has a solid wall beyond the door she's got an area to ignore us ;-) She's got a wooden hidey house (which she jumps on rather than hides in ;-) an under bed storage box for litter tray, an ikea dolls bed to sit on and a cardboard box with a pet bed in it too, as well a bathroom mat and tunnels and toys. She seems very happy in there and she free ranges all of downstairs when we're home and cats outside and then has the utility and kitchen during the day. She is shut in her room at night and when cats are passing through, just in case ;-) I can post pictures if it helps.

That lovely deep shelf where the dog crate is looks like it will be popular. I'd be tempted to remove the crate and let them hop up and around up there you know. Smudge does spend a lot of time on her house roof :shock:;)

Good luck x

I think it's an excellent idea :)

Depending on the rabbits, you might find you'll be able to swap out the ramp for a step or two steps - which can give you a little more space. Some bunnies are better at jumping that others though so see what you're end up like.

A gate sounds a good idea as you'll be able to watch them and it means plenty of ventilation.

If you haven't planned one already a litter tray would be a good addition.

I'd be tempted to remove the crate completely too and maybe just have a more enclosed sort of box in there for hiding.

I'd also pop something over the edge of that dividing board - you can get some L shape metal corner protectors that would probably work - it looks like just the sort of edge that bunny teeth will try out ;)

Back