• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Critical care amount

Julia123

Warren Veteran
How do you calculate the amount of CC you feed? Just looked at the packet and the volume looks huge! Ive been feeding between 60 and 80ml a day for a 1.7kg bun.

According to the packet its 3tblsp per kg so thats 9 tsp per kg and I reckon on 1tsp per 15ml. So that would be 135 a day - is that right or am I going do mad? The feeding guide states 4tsp of dry product for 1.5kg bun and 1.9tsp for A 2kg bun so on that reckoning it would be around 4.4 for a 1.7kg bun and 13.2 tsp which is about 198ml??

My maths is awful but 198ml seems a heck of a lot! Divided by 6 thats 33ml per feed....

At the vets, we have a calculation to work it out but I can't remember it! I can look it up tomorrow for you.
I think it works out at approx 7-8ml/kg... I remember giving a 5kg rabbit 35ml per feed. We make it up so that the feed it just watery enough to fit up the syringe.
So a 1.7kg bun needs approximately 12ml per feed so that would be 72ml a day.

You can always double check with your vet :)
Hope this helps! I'll see if I can find the actual calculation tomorrow if you like x

Last edited:
At the vets, we have a calculation to work it out but I can't remember it! I can look it up tomorrow for you.
I think it works out at approx 7-8ml/kg... I remember giving a 5kg rabbit 35ml per feed. We make it up so that the feed it just watery enough to fit up the syringe.
So a 1.7kg bun needs approximately 12ml per feed so that would be 72ml a day.

You can always double check with your vet :)
Hope this helps! I'll see if I can find the actual calculation tomorrow if you like x

Thank you, yes I would appreciate that. So going by your calculations I am about right at 60 - 80ml for a 1.7kg bun? I will ask the vet, but i think last time they just said the instructions were on the packet

I usually feed mine Supreme Recovery Plus which is similar and they tend to get 15ml around every 4 hours when they are ill and I've been advised to syringe feed, I don't know what the recommendation is but I think so long as its regular feeds thats what counts the most to ensure that a constant source of food is available

Thank you, yes I would appreciate that. So going by your calculations I am about right at 60 - 80ml for a 1.7kg bun? I will ask the vet, but i think last time they just said the instructions were on the packet

Ok I'll have a look :) Yes that is about right! - You are using the Oxbow Critical care yes? :)

It really depends if you are using it long term or short term. If you are using it for a few days to keep the digestion going, to keep a ready supply of energy in the bunny, and to keep the animal from relying solely on fat reserves, you can get away with less than the package recommends. However, when Critical care is mixed with water, it swells up and contains a lot of liquid. If you compare the dry measure to pelleted food, it does not seem like a lot if that was all your rabbit would be fed. Of course individual animals differ in the amount they eat each day, and a sick bunny does not run around and expend as much energy as a well one.
As someone who has giving Critical Care for many years, I suggest that you not give too much at any one time to a bunny with slow digestion as it can make the animal even more uncomfortable.

Back