• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Project: Bunny Shed

Lemonade

Warren Scout
Hi guys and gals,

Wanted to keep a diary, more for myself than other people :lol: Hope it's okay to put it in here.

My three buns have always been in a hutch and run setup as we were renting but we bought our house 8 months ago and ever since we moved in, I've said I was going to get them a shed and permanent access to a run. When Homebase had their 15% off weekend over the bank holiday, we decided to take advantage and ordered their shed :) It's being delivered on Thursday so the past couple of weeks, we've had to do all the ground work. Unfortunately the permanent run will be another little while in the making. We've got a fair amount of work to do in our garden to make it how we want it - one job is moving our patio wall. Until we've done this, we won't be able to do the bunny's permanent run - it makes no sense to dig up the same part of the garden twice and we don't want to build and under wire the run to then potentially ruin it when moving the patio boundary. Obviously though, they will have access to their run that they have at the moment.

Anyway, this is what we started with:
52047cba-af06-4955-912b-020cc98ee520_zpsjlm6dp1t.jpg

The first job on the list was to get the tree out of the way - luckily it was fairly easy and I cut it down myself in an hour - it was completely dead and rotting from the inside. The hard job was getting the roots out of the ground afterwards!
52dcdd32-9404-4f86-91c7-cf205ec494a8_zpsrzgnkwxq.jpg

The next job was going to be to cut right down the large green bush with pink flowers on the right - I'm not sure whether it's bunny friendly and whether or not it will be going in the end but baby birds stopped play for now. Just did some very tentative pruning so as not to disturb them.
023afa7a-9c4f-41f1-8738-dc1c01b84aee_zpshcoguduf.jpg

Well, bush pruned to make a little more room for work and the weekend arriving meant that my partner was at home to help me get the ground work underway! We also had some help... or hindrance from our daughter. I can't decide which it was :lol:
6f934216-4454-4fad-9562-415eac296a18_zpsokia27cr.jpg

And this is the finished product so far :D Most of the credit must go to my partner, without him it would have been a complete mess! We've filled the small gaps between the slabs with more sand and then left the excess on top in case it rains and washes the grains down a little more - the idea being that there is more on top to replace it with. Hopefully it'll rain before Thursday otherwise the hose may have to come out!
2b2d14d8-5612-4b47-8f37-dafcffea46c6_zpsal06v7i2.jpg

Next on the list is to go into town to get some paint to spruce up their hidey-house and to decide what flooring they're going to have - at the moment, it's a toss up between stable matting, lino and the brightly coloured foamy puzzle pieces for kids. Admittedly, I'm drawn towards the foamy puzzle pieces 'cause I love a bit of colour but I think the stable matting is going to be the most sensible option... Also need to start coming up with a plan of how I want the interior to be. Watch this space!

Camellias are rabbit safe. They love the petals! I dont feed the leaves though - just seem too waxy somehow.

What a brilliant project this looks.

Thanks Tulsi :) Gave them some petals last night, they loved them!

I said the other day that if the bush was bunny safe, I'd try and keep it... Might regret that now! I'd need to chop it right back, I'm rubbish at gardening, I don't know if it would survive. Best consult my Mum!

The shed is being delivered tomorrow between 07:24 and 11:24 - I guess they like to be precise! :thumb::thumb:

Super excited! Hopefully my excitement will see me though tonight's night shift and staying awake tomorrow to build the shed with my partner... :shock:

The shed is being delivered tomorrow between 07:24 and 11:24 - I guess they like to be precise! :thumb::thumb:

Super excited! Hopefully my excitement will see me though tonight's night shift and staying awake tomorrow to build the shed with my partner... :shock:

Wonderful. Good luck tomorrow!

It's built! :D Not quite finished, just a few more finishing touches to get the actual shed bit done and then need to fit out the inside but it's built! :D

Never knew painting everything in Cuprinol could take so long... No photos tonight I'm afraid as I've run out of day light but will get some tomorrow.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've been awake for 38 hours so I'm off to bed now... :shock:

38 hrs, goodness I'd sleep for a week after that! Look forward to the new bun house pics. I painted trellis once, never again [emoji38]

38 hrs, goodness I'd sleep for a week after that! Look forward to the new bun house pics. I painted trellis once, never again [emoji38]

:lol: Must say, I did sleep well. Had my little one not woken me up this morning, I imagine I would still be asleep!

Pictures, as promised :)

So I will start off with saying that 90% of the credit with this shed has got to go to my partner. He moans like there's no tomorrow but he's been such an amazing help, I wouldn't have been able to do it without him :mrgreen:

This is it almost done :D
IMG_5571_zpsezgw1nwv.jpg

Inside, as we left it last night. I had all these wonderful plans of wrapping the lino up the inside wall to create a perfectly water tight bottom but then decided to glue it to the base and build the shed over it. Then going to seal it when we've finished painting the inside. After that, we're going to put half walls up so that the bunnies can't chew the shed and then seal the bottoms of those too. No escaping pee to rot my shed here!
IMG_5572_zps1it65khl.jpg

One of the jobs on the list is to put another bolt at the top, and probably another at the bottom to secure the door. It's slightly warped so has this gap at the top. The bottom is fine so the third bolt would be more for security as opposed to shaping the door.
IMG_5573_zpsz0kszybe.jpg

So, next to do is finish painting the inside, do the finishing touches to the roof, sort out the door by putting more bolts on, work out what we're going to do with the window to cover it in the winter but primarily put mesh up and to fit out the inside. Hoping to have it all done by the end of the weekend but failing that, the end of next week.

More progress yesterday :) Not far off being done now!

Outside is finished now :mrgreen: May add another coat of Cuprinol at some point. Oh, and just need to put the other bolts on the door.

c1bad10e5018d3403743b24993cf295f.jpg

The window is now meshed! Just need to work out what we're going to do for more protection in wet and cold weather.

92afd3bcf7c754b28e15e0cb45341bda.jpg

Aaaand, the inside is still a work in progress! The walls are done, just need to put in a few more screws to hold them in place, paint and secure the shelf and then put a mesh inside door on to try and prevent escapees!

b400507cfed9083fc774631cf76b7612.jpg

Not long too go now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha straight into the hayrack!!!

What a great looking space for them.

You could always put perspex over the mesh for the winter, with a few holes drilled for ventilation.

Your lino is sooo neat. Love the shelf too. Lucky wabbits.

I think that's the plan with the window although my OH wants to make it a proper window so we can have varying degrees of ventilation...

Just need to get a permanently attached run sorted now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back