• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Audio / Visually Challenged Boo - any advice?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
So here is Boo who is an absolute delight. She is my first lop, if she is a true lop? She does wear her ears up or back if she is very alert / excited.

DSCF4334_zpsxdb8kthb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyway, she scans a lot (she is my 1st red eyed bunny too) so I'm assuming she has poor eye sight & its very evident she has little or no hearing. She spooks very easily at times so we avoid sudden movement. She is a very confident and sociable rabbit & none of this sets her back. She is quite fixated with routines though - we know about it if we are late for bed :)

Are there any special considerations I need to be aware of? (I've discussed with the vet - no concerns with her eyes or ears at health check .

She's lovely !! She has 'helicopter ears' :D

If she has poor eye sight and hearing then any Free Range time would require constant supervision as she will be unable to detect danger (from a predator such as a cat ). So she will always be a hopping target, far more so than a Rabbit who has normal sight and hearing. Routine both in her care (feeding, grooming,cleaning out etc) and the layout of her accommodation will help her feel safe. She may rely heavily on her sense of smell, so if she comes indoors things like the smell of cooking may upset her, especially the smell of meat cooking. (Which upsets me too !!). For the same reason BBQs can be an issue during the summer. Not all partially blind/deaf Rabbits are effected in the same way, but I have certainly had several Rabbits who had to rely heavily on their sense of smell and cooking odours (from nextdoors BBQs, I dont cook !) really could scare them at times.

Then their will be the unique needs of Boo as an individual Rabbit, ie not her needs based solely on her disability. Just because two Rabbits have similar disabilities they will still have their own individual 'ways' which we learn as we care from them.

Does Boo have a Rabbit friend ? This can be very beneficial for a visually/hearing impaired Rabbit, the other Rabbit can act as the 'disabled' Rabbit's eyes and ears.

She is lovely :love: my REW rabbit, Boots scanned a lot when I first adopted him, and chinned everything madly. He still does if he goes into rooms he hasn't been in for a while, but he generally doesn't do it anymore. I keep everything in his room and in the rest of the house the same, so he doesn't have to cope with changes in layout. His hearing isn't great, sometimes I walk into his room and it startles him. However, he can hear me when I call his name in a higher tone, not necessarily louder, and comes running, so I call him before going to him. His sense of smell is incredible, he can smell a banana being peeled from a different floor in the house :shock: :lol:

Thank You both for your replies. I haven't noticed whether she has a superior sense of smell, will have to investigate that out of my own curiosity.
Other than the spooking (which isn't all the time) she is fine at getting round - she flies up the stairs. She does indeed have a friend (Joey) - they are seldom apart (she spooks him sometimes with her flighty ways). Outside time has always been supervised as they are free range. Luckily I work from home (well pretend to) Its quite nice that she'll be really active for a few hours outside, will come in for a rest, then go out again (if they are out the door is always open). Joe does look after her. She is actually a lot more adventurous than Joe. Not much meat cooking in this house, I don't eat it & my OH too lazy to cook it. Hope she isn't offended by cooked cheese. Now I wonder if she might be more secure in a group? I really would love to bond them to another pair :love:

Here's the little monkey after she tipped her readigrass over her head last night

DSCF6104_zpskgjw8k4l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Come to think of it she always gets excited & makes herself known when I opened the fridge & she certainly wouldn't hear it. Maybe she can smell the fruit & veggies

Back