• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

11week German Lop..Help with her diet

Margret

Warren Scout
Hi, I brought home my 11 week German lop yesterday. The breeder gave me some food, but what are the best pellets for this breed. Our last rabbit who we sadly lost 3 weeks ago aged 6, was always fed Burgess excel, plus loads of hay and plenty veg. When we got her she was 9 months, so she was pretty settled with her diet.
I just don't want to make any mistakes with this new wee girls diet. Any help would be much appreciated.
She is booked in for her vaccinations on Monday...until then she won't be on grass.
Sorry if I am asking too many questions. Thanks in advance

I would keep her on the food that the breeder gave you for 1-2 weeks and then gradually change her over to whatever peller you plan to feed - excel or science selective are the best :)

And there are never too many questions! But there are too few photos ;)

I'd hold back on veg unless she's used to it, and then in tiny quantities only. Loads of hay is safe :wave:

I would keep her on the food that the breeder gave you for 1-2 weeks and then gradually change her over to whatever peller you plan to feed - excel or science selective are the best :)

And there are never too many questions! But there are too few photos ;)

Oxbow and Fibafirst are also very good foods.
Personally, I wouldnt feed veg, but herbs and forage, and very little while they're still young. :)

Thank you for your help, also forgot to ask...how much pellets should be given when they are still growing. I know with adults it is only an eggcupful, but young ones not sure about.....oh dear, its worse than being a new mummy......but I worry that I either will give too much or not enough. Thanks again

Hi, we'll when I had mini lops I was giving them 60 - 80g a day, so about 3 egg cup fulls. At 11 weeks your little bunny is growing and will need all the nutrients they can get! But I'm not too sure with a German lop.. Many people give babies unlimited, but I didn't just to try & encourage them to eat more hay. But I'm sure others will be on shortly to give you more advice.

Hope this helps x

Last edited:
Back