• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Multiple dental issuesUD seen rabbit vet.

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
I have just adopted a gorgeous dutch x called Bruce.He is a single bun for now as he has dental issues which need monitoring before we take on a wife for him.I haven't had a dental bun before so this is new to me but I am aware it could well become costly.
He came into rescue with wobbily incisors (top) and corresponding wobbily upper/lower molars on the left side.He had the incisors clipped and the vet wants to see how they grow back and if they separate in which case he will have them removed.Re the molars-the top one was removed but during the removal the tooth broke and part of the root remains.His left eye weeps slightly at times.
I feel that the wobbily incisors are a problem as they are now and wondered about asking to have them removed.Bruce finds eating some foods quite tricky and im worried about his hay intake.He manages SS pellets but of course they are chewed at the back of his mouth by molars.He will see my rabbit savvy vet in the near future but as the rescue is helping to fund his dental work im "stuck"with their vet for now who are keen to "wait and see how everything grows back".Does that seem reasonable or should I just fund his treatment myself and take him to my rabbit savvy vet who I trust very much?
Also is the "waitng approach"ok re his molar problems?
Any advice greatly appreciated.Thanksx

Last edited:
I have no useful advice to share I'm afraid, but just wanted to send some healing vibes to poor Bruce! Hope he can start living life to the full and eating comfortably soon! Xx

Thanks Boots:thumb:He really loves life and is such a happy chappy so getting his teeth manageable would be brilliant.

I would be inclined to want to get him to a Rabbit Savvy Vet ASAP. I hope the Vet did not really 'clip' the incisors :? The fact that some tooth root remained after molar extraction means there is a risk of infection setting in which could escalate to a Dental abscess. Also, given how advanced his Dental issues appear to be I would want skull radiographs taken. Assessing what's going on 'below the surface' is as important as what is going on with the actual teeth.

Vittorio Capello is an excellent Rabbit 'Dentist' and this makes for a very informative read :

http://www.rabbitdentistry.com/Contents_files/Preview.pdf

This article by Marie Kubiak is really good too:

http://www.manorvets.co.uk/ckfinder/userfiles/files/dental dz(1).pdf

What a wonderful thing you have done, taking on a bunny multiple problems. :love:

If it were me, I wouldn't be happy to 'wait and see', particularly if he is struggling as he currently stands. I would want to get him to a rabbit savvy vet and get to the bottom of the problems, even though it would put the financial responsibility on me. Do you trust the rescue's vet? When you say 'clipped' do you actually mean clipped or is the vet burring them properly...this would be an instant deciding point for me.

I took on Scooby with known dental problems, his incisors were dreadful and needed removing, but his molar problems aren't anywhere near as bad as Bruce's, not currently anyway and fingers crossed they won't be. There was no financial back up from the rescue, so I didn't have the same decision as you are facing, I just wanted Scooby out of a situation that I didn't find acceptable. Scooby is now so much better since having his incisors out, recovery was slower than would normally be expected, but now he is eating everything including hay.

It's a fantastic thing that you have done. Bruce is very lucky.

ETA I was doing my post at the same time as Jane, hence the reason that I've repeated some of the stuff she's said.

Thankyou very much Jane.I will read these and digest.As I understand it the incisors were indeed clipped:?I didn't think that sounded good but wasn't sure.The vet thinks his problems are caused by constant bar chewing at his previous home.:?You have confirmed what I thought re the vet situation and will make him an appointment on Monday at the rabbit savvy vet.

What a wonderful thing you have done, taking on a bunny multiple problems. :love:

If it were me, I wouldn't be happy to 'wait and see', particularly if he is struggling as he currently stands. I would want to get him to a rabbit savvy vet and get to the bottom of the problems, even though it would put the financial responsibility on me. Do you trust the rescue's vet? When you say 'clipped' do you actually mean clipped or is the vet burring them properly...this would be an instant deciding point for me.

I took on Scooby with known dental problems, his incisors were dreadful and needed removing, but his molar problems aren't anywhere near as bad as Bruce's, not currently anyway and fingers crossed they won't be. There was no financial back up from the rescue, so I didn't have the same decision as you are facing, I just wanted Scooby out of a situation that I didn't find acceptable. Scooby is now so much better since having his incisors out, recovery was slower than would normally be expected, but now he is eating everything including hay.

It's a fantastic thing that you have done. Bruce is very lucky.

ETA I was doing my post at the same time as Jane, hence the reason that I've repeated some of the stuff she's said.

Thankyou for this Tracy.I wasn't comfortable with "waiting and seeing".Bunnies are so prone to complications if things aren't dealt with quickly/properly.We are off to see my rabbit savvy vet this week.

I forgot to mention that also during surgery Bruces tear duct (left side) was apparently damaged (long tooth roots?)and couldn't be flushed.

Bruce is very lucky to have come to live with you!
Hope your rabbit-savvy vet can help with his problems.

I have just adopted a gorgeous dutch x called Bruce.He is a single bun for now as he has dental issues which need monitoring before we take on a wife for him.I haven't had a dental bun before so this is new to me but I am aware it could well become costly.
He came into rescue with wobbily incisors (top) and corresponding wobbily upper/lower molars on the left side.He had the incisors clipped and the vet wants to see how they grow back and if they separate in which case he will have them removed.Re the molars-the top one was removed but during the removal the tooth broke and part of the root remains.His left eye weeps slightly at times.
I feel that the wobbily incisors are a problem as they are now and wondered about asking to have them removed.Bruce finds eating some foods quite tricky and im worried about his hay intake.He manages SS pellets but of course they are chewed at the back of his mouth by molars.He will see my rabbit savvy vet in the near future but as the rescue is helping to fund his dental work im "stuck"with their vet for now who are keen to "wait and see how everything grows back".Does that seem reasonable or should I just fund his treatment myself and take him to my rabbit savvy vet who I trust very much?
Also is the "waitng approach"ok re his molar problems?
Any advice greatly appreciated.Thanksx

Just seen your post here.

I am worried by the fact that the vet clipped the incisors. I thought this went out years ago, but obviously not! An owner who's bunny's incisors don't work ought to think seriously about having them out. There are instances where the incisors may 'right' themselves, but clipping them isn't a good way to go .......

It really depends on how much you feel you can 'fly solo' financially and whether you have to rely on the Rescue. Neither is preferable over the other. I have worked with Rescue Centres for so many years that I understand everything can't be fixed in a flash. It's silly to pretend that finances are not an issue, and you have been through so much. Only *you* know how you may wish to play this.

The main thing is that Bruce can eat and he is not in pain. Not one of us is perfect. Our own healthcare system isn't perfect. Though it's been dismissed, the "wait and see how everything grows back" approach has some merit. Especially as far as the molars go.

The incisors are a different problem and I wouldn't want to cause pain to a bunny, or root infection, by clipping unnecessarily xxxxx

Thankyou for your support everyone.:}He will certainly be in my vets capable hands this week.I realise it could be expensive but will feel everything is being done that should be done and we will hopefully get his teeth to a manageable state.Hes a lovely boy xx

Just seen your post here.

I am worried by the fact that the vet clipped the incisors. I thought this went out years ago, but obviously not! An owner who's bunny's incisors don't work ought to think seriously about having them out. There are instances where the incisors may 'right' themselves, but clipping them isn't a good way to go .......

It really depends on how much you feel you can 'fly solo' financially and whether you have to rely on the Rescue. Neither is preferable over the other. I have worked with Rescue Centres for so many years that I understand everything can't be fixed in a flash. It's silly to pretend that finances are not an issue, and you have been through so much. Only *you* know how you may wish to play this.

The main thing is that Bruce can eat and he is not in pain. Not one of us is perfect. Our own healthcare system isn't perfect. Though it's been dismissed, the "wait and see how everything grows back" approach has some merit. Especially as far as the molars go.

The incisors are a different problem and I wouldn't want to cause pain to a bunny, or root infection, by clipping unnecessarily xxxxx

Thankyou for this.:)xx

Yesterday Bruce was managing a bit of apple as a treat and kale as well as pellets and a small amount of hay but today ive had to chop his veg and have put carrot and grape in the blender which he LOVES but its really not ideal at all.I don't really understand why hes so less capable in 24 hours:shock:Hes only lived with me since Thursday.:(

Yesterday Bruce was managing a bit of apple as a treat and kale as well as pellets and a small amount of hay but today ive had to chop his veg and have put carrot and grape in the blender which he LOVES but its really not ideal at all.I don't really understand why hes so less capable in 24 hours:shock:Hes only lived with me since Thursday.:(

Maybe he's in some discomfort today with his teeth?

When you say putting carrot and grape in the blender is not ideal at all - you mean for you? If it helps him to eat and keeps his digestion going for the time being I should say it's OK for him maybe?? You could always vary the food so there's not so much sugar in there ..

Perhaps this is pointing towards a review being better sooner rather than later - i.e. not too long a wait to see how the teeth 'grow out' ... x

Maybe he's in some discomfort today with his teeth?

When you say putting carrot and grape in the blender is not ideal at all - you mean for you? If it helps him to eat and keeps his digestion going for the time being I should say it's OK for him maybe?? You could always vary the food so there's not so much sugar in there ..

Perhaps this is pointing towards a review being better sooner rather than later - i.e. not too long a wait to see how the teeth 'grow out' ... x
I think youre right that there may be discomfort today.At least hes very bright though and really busy this evening.He obviously copes well.
I was meaning for Bruce it not being ideal but as you say it will at least keep digestion going.I will ring the changes now I know he will accept food that's been blended and can blend his pellets even,if necessary.

I think youre right that there may be discomfort today.At least hes very bright though and really busy this evening.He obviously copes well.
I was meaning for Bruce it not being ideal but as you say it will at least keep digestion going.I will ring the changes now I know he will accept food that's been blended and can blend his pellets even,if necessary.

It would be good to try to get some more fibre into him if at all possible so blending in some pellets or critical care might help. I'm glad you are going to take him to your Vet as it seems that the sooner his Dental problems are properly addressed the better. Thank goodness he has found you, someone who will make sure he receives all the care he needs :love:

Thankyou Jane,thats very kind of you.

I will blend his pellets,thats a good idea and Im chopping his hay quite finely more for the fibre than tooth wearing properties.My blender wont know whats hit it:lol:

Back