• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I use Rearguard?

Max's mum

New Kit
I have a lovely Lionhead who is 4 and has always lived inside although would go out in his run when the weather was nice. We have just got him a friend, a playhouse and a big run attached outside. I do intend for them to live outside when the weather gets warmer and they have been spending more time outside during the day. I am really nervous about fly strike and they had Rearguard treatment yesterday.

I thought I was doing the right thing for them but they are both still very quiet today and they're coats are now very matted from the treatment.

I have been reading some of the forum posts on here and I'm now worried I have done the wrong thing but fly strike sounds so awful and from what I have read can take hold in just hours.

Both rabbits are healthy one is 4 the other is one and a half.

Max is my first rabbit and we have been lucky so far but I feel so inexperienced I would really appreciate some advice on this.

Personally I would not use Rearguard on my Rabbits. I have cared for over 120 Rabbits over the last 18 years, many with mobility problems and/ or chronic health problems, or open wounds and I have never used a chemical Flystrike prevention treatment. It can never be a replacement for good husbandry (daily clean outs, at least twice daily bum checks, use of Fly deterents such as netting/fly strips/citronella etc) I have never had a case of Flystrike. If I were in the position of having to use a Flystrike Preventer I'd use F10 Germicidal Wound Spray with insecticide

http://www.viovet.co.uk/F10_Products_Germicidal_Wound_Spray_with_Insecticide/c22592/

You say that after treatment with Rear guard your Rabbits are both very quiet. Are they eating/drinking/pooing and weeing as normal ?

Should I use Rearguard?

I was going to answer "Only on the rabbits!" but that's just me being flippant.

Jane's advice is the one to follow.

I have a lovely Lionhead who is 4 and has always lived inside although would go out in his run when the weather was nice. We have just got him a friend, a playhouse and a big run attached outside. I do intend for them to live outside when the weather gets warmer and they have been spending more time outside during the day. I am really nervous about fly strike and they had Rearguard treatment yesterday.

I thought I was doing the right thing for them but they are both still very quiet today and they're coats are now very matted from the treatment.

I have been reading some of the forum posts on here and I'm now worried I have done the wrong thing but fly strike sounds so awful and from what I have read can take hold in just hours.

Both rabbits are healthy one is 4 the other is one and a half.

Max is my first rabbit and we have been lucky so far but I feel so inexperienced I would really appreciate some advice on this.

I would keep a close eye on them both. Flystrike is indeed a horrible thing, and even with the best rabbit husbandry it can literally happen in a matter of hours on a warm day. People think that by keeping their rabbits clean they are not at risk, but it's very difficult to spot particularly on a white coloured rabbit.

Your vet was well-meaning by suggesting Rearguard. For many rabbits this is not a problem, but you can always ring the vet surgery and speak with the nurse on duty to explain your feelings and ask what can be done about the matted coats after treatment.

Take care and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Thank you for your advice. Will certainly get some Citronella and fly paper.

The nurse did say that they may be lethargic and off their food for a day or two it's just horrible to see them like that. It's possibly as bad as when we brought Max home after being neutered.

The nurse did say that they may be lethargic and off their food for a day or two it's just horrible to see them like that. It's possibly as bad as when we brought Max home after being neutered.

I hope they feel much better soon xx

I would give the Vet a call today if I were you. I honestly dont think that being 'as bad as after being neutered' is a 'normal' reaction to Rearguard treatment. I think I would want the Vet to take a look at both of them, especially if they are off their food.

My Harriet had a bad reaction to Rearguard too.As Jane said very careful monitoring is your best bet.I have never used it since and not had a problem as I check the rabbits bottoms regularly during the day.

They are hopping around and eating lots of hay now.

I don't think I will use a Rearguard again though.

Thank you for your kind advice.

Last edited:
They are hopping around and eating lots of hay now.

I don't think I will use a Rearguard again though.

Thank you for your kind advice.

This is good to know :thumb:

I didn't mention earlier as it wouldn't have been appropriate, but I have known of several rabbits be very very poorly after applications of Rearguard. I'm glad you're not considering using it again xx

Wow, I didn't know that. I wish I had asked here before. Thank you.
This is good to know :thumb:

I didn't mention earlier as it wouldn't have been appropriate, but I have known of several rabbits be very very poorly after applications of Rearguard. I'm glad you're not considering using it again xx

Back