• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hershel had a traumatic vets visit - UD Being for a check-up!

Took Hershel to the vets last night, as I had noticed he had what looked like the start of an eye ulcer. He's also been going through the heaviest moult ever and had loads of 'dandruff'and had been excessively scratching, so I wanted that checked out just in case it was mites.

Anyway I was right, he has an small shallow eye ulcer probably caused by him scratching or a strand of hay. Thankfully he doesn't have mites, we think the heavy moulting is due to him moving indoors last October and he finally getting rid of his thicker coat. The vet also checked his ears and he has a lot of wax built up.

So we have Tiacil antibiotics eye drops for his ulcer and some Epi-Otic ear cleanser to use on the wax build up.

But he really scared me last night as he totally stressed himself out in the vets. He is normally so laid back and is easily handled. When the vet held him, he went mental and leaped onto me, so I held him still for her. When I put him down though, he toppled over to one side like he had hurt himself. I was nearly crying in the vets thinking I had broken his back or one of his legs.

Luckily the vet remained calm and put him down on the floor to see him move and at first he was stumbling a bit like his front paw had been hurt. The vet give him a good check over and she was happy he had hurt anything and he was soon weight bearing and hopping about.

I think he just got himself stressed out. The best description I can think is that he was 'Drunk with stress or fear'. I was so worried about him as I've never seen him like that, it was very traumatic. I was in tears driving back from the vets.

Put him and Maggie back into their pen when I got home and left him to settle. I was worried that it would cause him to stop eating or pooping. But this morning it's like nothing had happened. I am so relieved.

P1070124.jpg

P1070128.jpg

Last edited:
Poor little chap, glad he's ok this morning. It's horrible isn't it seeing them so stressed, the vet tried to take my girls temperature last time we visited, I almost ended up wearing her ! (Bunny, not the vet :lol:) She thumped all the way home, had her dinner and was then fine, meanwhile I was a wreck ! Hope he goes on ok x

Poor lad, did the Vet actually use any ear cleaner on him and if so is that when he went 'wobbly' ?

Hope his eye ulcer heals quickly xx

Poor lad, did the Vet actually use any ear cleaner on him and if so is that when he went 'wobbly' ?

Hope his eye ulcer heals quickly xx

Hi Jane, yes the vet did use some ear cleaner (as they showed me what I have to do) but it was after his 'wobbly' episode after he had calmed down and was moving okay. So don't think it will have anything to do with his inner ear and balance. I honestly think he just got himself really worked up. A couple of bouncy Labradors had come into the vets while we waited (he is normally used to dogs) but I think they might have put him on edge.

He is fine today and allowed me to do his eye drops no problems. Will be doing his ears later, so I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Hi Jane, yes the vet did use some ear cleaner (as they showed me what I have to do) but it was after his 'wobbly' episode after he had calmed down and was moving okay. So don't think it will have anything to do with his inner ear and balance. I honestly think he just got himself really worked up. A couple of bouncy Labradors had come into the vets while we waited (he is normally used to dogs) but I think they might have put him on edge.

He is fine today and allowed me to do his eye drops no problems. Will be doing his ears later, so I'll let you know if I have any problems.

I'm glad that he's now recovered from the trip to the Vets. One bouncy Labrador would be enough to cope with, but two !! :shock:

I always have the problem of trying to get my rabbit/s out of the way of dogs bounding into the surgery :shock:

Glad he seems OK at the moment :thumb:

Hershel is doing great this morning. Thanks for all the nice comments, I think sometimes you just need support from someone who understands.

I also cleaned his ears last night and although he wasn't happy it was being done, no stressed out or wobbly episodes. He continues to allow me to put in his eye drops no problem as well. :thumb:

I'm glad that he's now recovered from the trip to the Vets. One bouncy Labrador would be enough to cope with, but two !! :shock:

I always have the problem of trying to get my rabbit/s out of the way of dogs bounding into the surgery :shock:

Glad he seems OK at the moment :thumb:

Hershel has been brought up around 2 noisy Border Collies, who like to run down the garden on a morning and announce to the world they are awake. :lol: When he was outside he would sit in his run and watch them, as if he was amused. George and Harry are the same, very chilled out around the dogs. But I guess they are their dogs!!!

Our border collie is exactly the same!!!

Glad Hershel is on the mend and is being ok about his treatment.

I took Hershel back to the vets yesterday for a check up. After friday's episode I was a bit worried that he would get himself stressed out again but he was the perfect patient. I really don't get him sometimes. :roll: :roll: Although the vets was a lot quieter this time, mostly cats and one well behaved little Spaniel.

His eye ulcer hasn't gotten any worse and looks like it has slightly reduced in size. So I have continue with the eye drops and go back in 2 weeks for another check up as long as everything is okay. If it starts weeping or gets worse I have to go back straightaway.

His ears still have wax in them but they are looking better, so I have to continue cleaning his ears for the next few days and then reduced it down to twice weekly and then once weekly until they are clean. I got myself a head-torch on tuesday from Tesco for £5 to help see into his ears as I am cleaning them. He still doesn't like them being done though, my poor little boy. :cry:

Back