• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you store your hay (indoors)

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi, I am looking for a better solution to how I am storing my hay at the moment. I have approx. 5 different hay types for Bunbuns that I mix together each day. Just so she has variety and she seems to love having a choice. However right now I am storing them in a big box, all in their bags still and mix together each morning and evening. So thinking it would be better probably mixing them all together in an air-tight box so I can just grab a handful each time and give to her. So just wondering how everyone else stores their hay for inspirations.
Thank
Fred :)

I don't think an air tight box would be advisable as it could be liable to making hay go mouldy, I think it needs to be able to breath.

Anyway I have an industrial size wormery container, I'll have to get a photo of it later and post it, lives down the cellar which also has a dehumidifier running to control moisture

good point re the mouldy, didn't think of that, I thought it would keep it fresher... but yeah good point there.

I store mine in pillow cases. I have around 6 in the shed and 3 in the house, I bought a bale of hay and split it up to make it easier. They are breathable so the hay won't go mouldy :)

I store mine in pillow cases. I have around 6 in the shed and 3 in the house, I bought a bale of hay and split it up to make it easier. They are breathable so the hay won't go mouldy :)

Ooo great idea. I have got one bale of straw in a duvet cover. Splitting bales and putting them in pillowcases is a lot more practical.

I buy mine in a bale and then split it as I need it into one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...p&rh=i:aps,k:jumbo+storage+bag+dotcomgiftshop. I keep my hay bale on its end, so I just take a big chunk off the top and slip it in. This bag will take the whole width and depth of the hay bale, so I just take a 1ft chunk (or wherever the hay naturally splits) and put it in there. I keep that in my shed on its side on a shelf, but it also hangs up well.

I use one of these to store the hay going out to the aviary http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20243192/ and it goes into a plastic storage bench. I find it works well as it doesn't stick to anything (and I'm a nightmare obsessive on that front - I'm not a house proud, good at cleaning type but for some reason I've become obsessed with keeping the hay organised :roll::lol:)

I'll get a photo of my container either later on today or tomorrow now, depends when I get back home

Back