PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your hay (indoors)

FredW
18-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Hi, I am looking for a better solution to how I am storing my hay at the moment. I have approx. 5 different hay types for Bunbuns that I mix together each day. Just so she has variety and she seems to love having a choice. However right now I am storing them in a big box, all in their bags still and mix together each morning and evening. So thinking it would be better probably mixing them all together in an air-tight box so I can just grab a handful each time and give to her. So just wondering how everyone else stores their hay for inspirations.
Thank
Fred :)

Dave81
18-04-2015, 11:35 AM
I don't think an air tight box would be advisable as it could be liable to making hay go mouldy, I think it needs to be able to breath.

Anyway I have an industrial size wormery container, I'll have to get a photo of it later and post it, lives down the cellar which also has a dehumidifier running to control moisture

FredW
18-04-2015, 11:41 AM
good point re the mouldy, didn't think of that, I thought it would keep it fresher... but yeah good point there.

smudgiebun
18-04-2015, 02:38 PM
We keep ours in one of these:
Clicky (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pop-Up-Sack-Garden-Waste-Removal-Collapsible-Rubbish-Collection-Bins-560-x-690mm-/261571610463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce6e2075f)

You can fit quite a lot in if you squish it all down!

tulsi
18-04-2015, 05:35 PM
I would like some good ideas re; bales of straw and hay storage ...

ImoT
18-04-2015, 05:55 PM
I store mine in pillow cases. I have around 6 in the shed and 3 in the house, I bought a bale of hay and split it up to make it easier. They are breathable so the hay won't go mouldy :)

tulsi
18-04-2015, 07:04 PM
I store mine in pillow cases. I have around 6 in the shed and 3 in the house, I bought a bale of hay and split it up to make it easier. They are breathable so the hay won't go mouldy :)

Ooo great idea. I have got one bale of straw in a duvet cover. Splitting bales and putting them in pillowcases is a lot more practical.

yaretzi
18-04-2015, 07:42 PM
I buy mine in a bale and then split it as I need it into one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jumbo+storage+bag+dotcomgiftshop&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajumbo+storage+bag+dotcomgiftshop. I keep my hay bale on its end, so I just take a big chunk off the top and slip it in. This bag will take the whole width and depth of the hay bale, so I just take a 1ft chunk (or wherever the hay naturally splits) and put it in there. I keep that in my shed on its side on a shelf, but it also hangs up well.

biscandmatt1
18-04-2015, 08:33 PM
i use a wicker laundry basket and cardboard boxes. :wave:

mini lop1
18-04-2015, 09:28 PM
I have my own bunny cupboard downstairs :) in kitchen

louise200
19-04-2015, 09:42 AM
I use one of these to store the hay going out to the aviary http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20243192/ and it goes into a plastic storage bench. I find it works well as it doesn't stick to anything (and I'm a nightmare obsessive on that front - I'm not a house proud, good at cleaning type but for some reason I've become obsessed with keeping the hay organised :roll::lol:)

Dave81
19-04-2015, 09:51 AM
I'll get a photo of my container either later on today or tomorrow now, depends when I get back home