• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fitch bedding and question about newspaper???

lioness178

Young Bun
Hiya :wave:

Well I received my bag of Fitch on Wednesday (I was very excited about it haha) but not too sure about it tbh.

I have lined my their litter tray (32 storage box) with about 2- 3 inches high of fitch (is this right/too much/too little) and looking at the bag I'm not sure if the 20kg bag will last as long as the Megazorb, which used to last a good 2 months, as already it has quite big dent in it considering I've only used it twice. Also I think it doesn't hold in the smell of urine as well which leads me to my next question...I've noticed a lot of you line your trays with newspaper, and I'm sorry if I'm being totally ignorant, but why is this? Does it help in someway?

I like the feel and look of fitch but as it is costing nearly 3 x as much as megazorb (which I can get for £8 from a local farm store) and doesn't seem to be as absorbent/not as long lasting then I will have to go back to megazorb, which is a shame as I had high hopes for Fitch.

However, saying that maybe it's early days still and I might be doing something wrong so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you :)

I agree that you seem to get through fitch faster than megazorb. But it is less dusty than megazorb so if you have a bunny with respiratory issues then it is good. I line my piggy tray with newspaper then put a good thick layer of fitch on top so that there are no gaps. Then I cover that with hay. The only reason I use newspaper is because it makes it easy to peel back the paper and empty the whole lot into the bin in one fell swoop.

Back