• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's a good litter tray to get

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I have just ordered a new home for my Bunbuns, and her new husbun.... so looking to get stuff to make it nice for them. she generally doesn't really like litter trays, and prefers to go to one corner in her run, and that's it. However since their new home will be big enough to no longer need the hutch and run separately, I want to get her to use a litter tray again. she can use it, and has done before, but seems to prefer to not use it. she's stubborn for sure.
anyhow, I am just trying to find a good litter tray that will be big enough for both of them to be in it if they need. she's a Dutch one, and him, well depends on who she's ending up going with, wont know till the new home is set up as that's when we go and let her bond with one in a rescue place, but quite likely a dwarf lop. so based on their sizes etc, what kind of litter tray would you recommend? so many get mixed reviews all the time, so hard knowing what really is good and what isn't.
Hope that all made sense. :)
Fred

A lot of us use underbed storage boxes as litter trays, I use woodpellet cat litter with hay on top, all mine use them fine. Has she been spayed yet? Spaying would improve litter training. Sometimes it's necessary to put the tray where they choose to go to the toilet too :thumb:

A lot of us use underbed storage boxes as litter trays, I use woodpellet cat litter with hay on top, all mine use them fine. Has she been spayed yet? Spaying would improve litter training. Sometimes it's necessary to put the tray where they choose to go to the toilet too :thumb:

thanks for that, never thought of underbed storage boxes, are there any you would recommend yourself? or just go for one that just feels right?
and yeah she's spayed, a few weeks ago, she is really good, only goes into one corner, that I have made as her toilet now, cause she kept just chucking out the content from her litter box and then went where she wanted. but I shall try again to train her.... maybe she just didn't like the box? who knows, one can only try, right :)

ps. Up until recently I used megazorb as bedding, however just got my delivery of fitch yesterday and so far seems pretty good. Its a huuuuge bag so hopefully will last a while.

bisc has one garden potting tray and one underbed storage box. he prefers the garden potting tray though as it's larger and has one low edge so easier for him to get in and out of. :wave:

Yes, I got the Asda 32l ones, they've been really good quality. If she was only spayed recently then her hormones will probably still be subsiding, so hopefully you will still see improvements in litter habits :thumb: I use plain non slip vinyl or rubber stable matting for the floor which enables them to differentiate from the litter area. You may need to provide more than one tray. Sweeping up poos regularly and putting them into the tray would help too :thumb: also try mopping up wee accidents outside the tray with kitchen roll then neutralising the area with a vinegar/water mixture.

thanks for that. will get a couple of those boxes so can try them. she just went into her old litter tray, stayed in it for a few secs, then went out, pulled it out the corner it was in, and went to toilet in the old space again. looks cute her doing what she wants, but wish she's just use the litter tray, so I can put it back in her hutch at night, which she wont go to toilet in anymore. honestly, she can be out all day, she wont poop or pee anywhere else other than in one corner of her run. so strange, but she's the boss, which she sure shows me many times :)

If she is dragging the litter tray out then using the same space for a toilet, you could try weighting it down with a brick, or wedging it in somehow :)

If she is dragging the litter tray out then using the same space for a toilet, you could try weighting it down with a brick, or wedging it in somehow :)

good thinking, I shall try that. never thought of that before, but great idea.

thanks Julia, great to know. I am looking at all the different options at the moment, it's good being able to see what others use and work out what will work best for me. thanks :)

I use 32l underbed storage boxes from tesco. Three for a tenner. Newspaper straw and hay in them. One per rabbit and (in the case of the hares) a couple extra for digging.

Back