• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So Mimzy seems to have ripped out his dewclaw :(

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Front right foot, went to do his nails the other night and I can't find the dewclaw nail. :( It feels like (because he won't let me really examine him, Mr. Stresshead) his fur has been well nibbled and messed up on that leg, and there's only a rough/hard spot where I should be finding a nail. I'm not even certain if there's any of the fleshy appendage left as well. I'd put some woven straw mats and tunnels in his run for entertainment and he may have gotten the nail caught in one of them and yanked it, but no idea when this happened. There's no sign of blood or infection, just the item I'm looking for has been taken clean away. :?
No hope of his vet coming in this month or next (she works at University) so not sure I should stress him further the 60 mile round trip to see whatever vet can look at him if it's nothing to be done. He puts weight on the leg so he hasn't broken anything, but the matted fur tweaks my concern that he may still be chewing at the spot. There is no matting on the left front leg, so not him blowing his nose. :roll:
He is otherwise fine in himself, eating, sleeping, eliminating all normal.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. :) Thank you. xx

matt lost a nail once. no idea where it went but the same thing, no blood or change in his behaviour. took him to the vet anyway (local one at that time) and they said to just leave him really as he seemed fine. it was strange because the taxi lady who drove me back said the same happened to her rabbit recently!

so i'd be inclined to keep a close eye for now but not to rush to the vets if it's such a long way and he seems ok. :wave:

Front right foot, went to do his nails the other night and I can't find the dewclaw nail. :( It feels like (because he won't let me really examine him, Mr. Stresshead) his fur has been well nibbled and messed up on that leg, and there's only a rough/hard spot where I should be finding a nail. I'm not even certain if there's any of the fleshy appendage left as well. I'd put some woven straw mats and tunnels in his run for entertainment and he may have gotten the nail caught in one of them and yanked it, but no idea when this happened. There's no sign of blood or infection, just the item I'm looking for has been taken clean away. :?
No hope of his vet coming in this month or next (she works at University) so not sure I should stress him further the 60 mile round trip to see whatever vet can look at him if it's nothing to be done. He puts weight on the leg so he hasn't broken anything, but the matted fur tweaks my concern that he may still be chewing at the spot. There is no matting on the left front leg, so not him blowing his nose. :roll:
He is otherwise fine in himself, eating, sleeping, eliminating all normal.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. :) Thank you. xx

If there is no sign of blood or infection I would not fret about the prior loss of the nail as long as he is not favoring that foot when he walks.
He may have (or have had) some discomfort which would explain his licking his foot and causing mats.
I have seen the same thing where I go to cut the nails and realize they are missing one. (sometimes the nails curve or have rough edges and they get caught even if they are not very long)

Truffle has ripped nails out a few times by tearing around on the carpet. Usually they bleed and she goes nuts locking them for about half an hour but then she's not bothered. They grow back eventually.

I agree with bunny momma, if there's no sign of infection, swelling or further bleeding around the toe then I'd just keep an eye on it. Big Libby once totally degloved a toe, yet another occasion when I was so glad that C is on hand for me !!

*WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTO, DONT SCROLL DOWN IF SQUEAMISH*

001-34.jpg

Jeez how on earth did she do that? Did the skin grow back?

Amazingly it did, although the nail died, fell off and never grew back. It didn't bother her in any way. She did it when she jumped up at the side of her enclosure in her excitement of smelling food. Her toe got caught, she was lucky not to have broken her leg really.

That picture is fascinating. I love stuff like that, obviously not for the poor rabbits sake but I love anatomy in general. So pleased to hear she recovered!

I would say Get Well Vibes for Mimzy but he doesn't seem to need them, little fighter!!

I had to take Cory to the vet recently because I noticed one of his nails was odd; sort of sticking up and a bit wobbly. The vet said there was nothing to be done as it wasn't causing him any pain or issue (as far as they could tell) and right enough it doesn't seem to bother him!

Jane - that photo - wow. I think I'd have needing resuscitating after that if I were you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi--dont feel as if is yr fault--Ive had that happen to a well cared for, lovd bunn and it's happened at well-run shelters where I volunteer. I agree, watch the paw and the body but the vet is probably
not called for. A bit of topical non-painkiller (toxic to bunnies) ointment might make you feel better, but probably bunny spit is just fine. The ointment here in the US is original formula Neosporin, but I dont know what is in UK first aid kits. maybe others could recommend?

Thank you everyone :) He still seems to be doing fine, so I'm doing my best not to worry. :oops:
Oh Jane, poor Libby! :( I think I would've needed a lie down and a pot of tea after something like that...perhaps something stronger than tea. :shock: Poor darling, I am glad she healed well afterward.
I did once take one of Pip's rear nails down too far (right to the sheath) because she moved at just the wrong moment when I clipped. It took forever for that to grow back and of course it's crooked like five miles of bad road now. But it doesn't bother her. However, we both get really nervous when I pull out the trimmers. :(

Back