• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blood has been drawn...the guinea pigs.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
Rupert Bear pig who is about 7 months old and his little friend Algernon, adopted from Windwhistle is about 5 months old. Their meeting at Windwhistle went well and up until a few days ago they seemed happy enough. Sadly though this morning I found blood in their hutch and Rupert Bear had a bite mark on his lower lip, and was very withdrawn.

Rupert is a very docile and chilled out piggy, Algernon on the other hand is a full on boar. Obviously by introducing them at an early age, I had hoped that they would get along......sadly now that is not the case.

I cannot afford to have them both neutered and then adopt sows for each of them + I already have 2 bunnies and 2 other guinea pigs. 6 little ones is as many as I feel happy to have as my furry family.

So Rupert Bear will visit the plum fairy, and eventually have a sow as company, and Algernon will go back to Windwhistle, be neutered and found a new home.

This is a first for me, and I feel very sad about this happening, but I cannot risk anymore attacks happening.

:cry:

Last edited:
I'm sorry things haven't worked out as you'd hoped :(

I'm sure Rupert will be very happy with a ladyfriend in the future though.x

i'm sorry, Mrs B. i intended my two bunny pairs to be a four but cecile bunbun was gradually shredding tabby's ears so it had to stop. i'm sorry you'll have to part with algernon but i hope all will work out well for your piggies in the future.

Thanks Battlekat and happybun.

Rupert Bear and Algernon are in separate hutches and both look so lost, Algernon has been calling out for Rupert, but he hasn't replied. I wish I could afford to keep both of them, have them neutered and then find them lady friends, but it would be too much for me in so many ways...and they wouldn't get as much attention from me.:(

Thanks Battlekat and happybun.

Rupert Bear and Algernon are in separate hutches and both look so lost, Algernon has been calling out for Rupert, but he hasn't replied. I wish I could afford to keep both of them, have them neutered and then find them lady friends, but it would be too much for me in so many ways...and they wouldn't get as much attention from me.:(

You're being very sensible, and you need to be. They will be fine and I think you're doing the right thing :thumb:

I don't know a lot about piggies - I've been lucky with mine - Mr Banoffee Pie and Mr Chocolate Fudge Cake got on from the minute I introduced them, and after MBP went to the Bridge Mr Chocolate Fudge Cake eventually accepted Mr Rhubarb Crumble - but that was a more difficult bond. They were all adults though.

Could you get Algernon neutered so he is less hormonal and then he may get on with Rupert Bear again - or doesn't it work like that with piggies? If he is going to be neutered anyway it may be worth a try? I am slowly reducing my furry family because of finances and I wouldn't have been able to take on two additional piggies if my two males hadn't bonded so I would have tried to get one, or both, neutered although, like you, I have financial restraints so it would have taken a while.

I don't know anything about piggies, just wanted to say that I'm sorry things haven't worked out as you would have hoped. I know you will have made your decision based on their best interests :thumb:

Could you get Algernon neutered so he is less hormonal and then he may get on with Rupert Bear again - or doesn't it work like that with piggies?

Sadly it doesn't work like that with piggies. I love boars and always have boar couples from rescue as they are often overlooked as can sometimes be a bit difficult. In the wild one boar would live with a whole herd of sows so for them this is unnatural. As I said it can work and often does, I personally have never had a problem, but even some experienced owners have had problems with boar pairings.

One day though I'd love a little herd.

Sorry to hear this, sounds like you've made the right decision.
My little guineapig is neutered and was easily bonded with a sow (by Wood Green) as he didn't mix with other boars and he's very happy now rather then either being bullied or fighting.

Pigs behavior is not modified by neutering as they produce testosterone in their glands etc as well as testes. Full on boars need a laid back boat to live with, and once they've decided they don't like each other they don't forget! You might find rupert bear might go with a different boar, but you won't know until he's about a year as they're so hormonal from 6-12 months. So if you're waiting anyway you might be able to shop neutering.

Back