• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jezebel Weeping Eye

Dave81

Mama Doe
Been treating Jezebel for the past week for a weepy eye using some drops, its nearly cleared up but not quite. She went for a checkup today to see how the week has gone, the vet & myself are happy to continue the drops for another week as she is making great progress, although if its still not cleared up by next Wednesday she will be given a tear duct flush.

She is perfectly healthy & eating fine so not massively concerned about her.

I was dreading handling her too as she is Mrs Violent do not touch me or I will kill you bunny, but so far its not been too bad as I scoop her up into the per carrier then put that on the ironing board, I leave her in the box and give her the drops which she takes quite well to be fair, less stress for her and loads less for me :lol::lol::lol:

Been treating Jezebel for the past week for a weepy eye using some drops, its nearly cleared up but not quite. She went for a checkup today to see how the week has gone, the vet & myself are happy to continue the drops for another week as she is making great progress, although if its still not cleared up by next Wednesday she will be given a tear duct flush.

I was dreading handling her too as she is Mrs Violent do not touch me or I will kill you bunny, but so far its not been too bad as I scoop her up into the per carrier then put that on the ironing board, I leave her in the box and give her the drops which she takes quite well to be fair, less stress for her and loads less for me :lol::lol::lol:

Cant she do the ironing too, as she's up on the ironing board anyway !

Hope her weepy eye will have cleared up after another week of treatment x

Ha ha if only, if I gave her the ironing pile I'm sure she'd shred it! Although I suppose that's a result :lol:

Glad you found a system for giving her the drops without being kicked and scratched by ninja bunny. Sending her and you some good vibes that the medicine works.

I like Janes idea of teaching her to iron. LOL.

I want to know is why someone does not invent a bunny sized vacuum cleaner-perhaps one that could be pulled like a cart-to pick up any stray poop as it is dropped and any litter they track on their fuzzy feet. We could call it a Roombun.

Glad you found a system for giving her the drops without being kicked and scratched by ninja bunny. Sending her and you some good vibes that the medicine works.

I like Janes idea of teaching her to iron. LOL.

I want to know is why someone does not invent a bunny sized vacuum cleaner-perhaps one that could be pulled like a cart-to pick up any stray poop as it is dropped and any litter they track on their fuzzy feet. We could call it a Roombun.

Cordless of course :wave:

Oh Dave your description of her as Mrs Violent is so funny :lol:

How will she cope with the tear duct flush I wonder ..... Let's hope it doesn't happen :D

Oh Dave your description of her as Mrs Violent is so funny :lol:

How will she cope with the tear duct flush I wonder ..... Let's hope it doesn't happen :D

Luckily it would be under a GA, the only time I have ever been able to handle her and sneak in a cuddle is when she's still been coming around. Sometimes she will allow me to stroke her but only when she decides :roll:

The day I took her womb from her was the day she decided that it was no longer fine to touch her :lol:

Luckily it would be under a GA, the only time I have ever been able to handle her and sneak in a cuddle is when she's still been coming around. Sometimes she will allow me to stroke her but only when she decides :roll:

The day I took her womb from her was the day she decided that it was no longer fine to touch her :lol:

Oh dear .... A step too far then ...:shock:

Oh dear .... A step too far then ...:shock:

She was so cuddly pre-op, maybe they returned the wrong rabbit :lol:

She's sweet with Fluffy her sister so its only humans that she has "beef" with :roll: she's a character though :love:

She was so cuddly pre-op, maybe they returned the wrong rabbit :lol:

She's sweet with Fluffy her sister so its only humans that she has "beef" with :roll: she's a character though :love:

I have one of those 'on her own terms' bunnies ...... :lol:

Think I'll be ringing the vet tomorrow to get Jezebel booked in for the tear duct flush, it's started getting weepy again so must be a blockage, she's still having the eye drops to treat any infection so it's not gunky at least.

I'm assuming they have a GA for the tear duct flush, if they do is it wise asking for them to do an x-ray at the same time?

Just thinking could cut out having to put her under again for an x-ray if the flush doesn't work

Think I'll be ringing the vet tomorrow to get Jezebel booked in for the tear duct flush, it's started getting weepy again so must be a blockage, she's still having the eye drops to treat any infection so it's not gunky at least.

I'm assuming they have a GA for the tear duct flush, if they do is it wise asking for them to do an x-ray at the same time?

Just thinking could cut out having to put her under again for an x-ray if the flush doesn't work

My vet would never have put my rabbit under GA for a tear duct flush. In fact I was even shown how to do it myself and have all the gear - and I did do it many times for him.

However, I know some vets do prefer GA. Yes you could have an X-ray at the same time, but that would possibly only provide info and not affect the way it's treated?
Personal choice on vet's advice I guess ..

Pretty sure she will have a GA for this she's not a model patient, it wouldn't end well at all to be fair but will see what they say when she goes in.

So she hasn't been back to the vets as Jezebel appears to be fine now :D

I stopped giving the antibiotics as of last night so shes gone a full day now without ( been on them for around 12 days in total), i've bathed her eye tonight as it was still a tiny bit crispy I think just residual gunk.

I'm keeping a close eye on her to see if the weeping is still happening but it doesn't look like it but will give it a day or 2 before I decide she doesn't need a flushing out

So she hasn't been back to the vets as Jezebel appears to be fine now :D

I stopped giving the antibiotics as of last night so shes gone a full day now without ( been on them for around 12 days in total), i've bathed her eye tonight as it was still a tiny bit crispy I think just residual gunk.

I'm keeping a close eye on her to see if the weeping is still happening but it doesn't look like it but will give it a day or 2 before I decide she doesn't need a flushing out

I hope that the infection has now cleared. My Vet often prefers to sedate a Rabbit to flush out the nasolacrimal duct. The duct is extremely delicate and it can rupture should the Rabbit make any sudden movements during the procedure. A ruptured nasolacrimal duct leads to longterm problems.

You can see from the advice given here that sedation is usually preferable

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

You and your Vet know Jezebel's needs best and if you both feel sedation is necessary for the procedure to be carried out safely I would have no problem agreeing to that.

This is the actual procedure, if you are interested in taking a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzr4urTBNZ8

Thanks for the info there Jane :wave:

Jezebel has a small wet patch around that eye this morning so a trip the vets will be coming up, it doesn't look infected anymore so best to get her in and flushed before any infection starts again, i'm certain she would have sedation as she is the worst patient ever as it is :lol:

Jezebel has a small wet patch around that eye this morning so a trip the vets will be coming up, it doesn't look infected anymore so best to get her in and flushed before any infection starts again, i'm certain she would have sedation as she is the worst patient ever as it is :lol:

Well I must say I would not be best pleased with someone who was poking about in my eye !!

It sounds as though Jezebel lives up to her name ! :lol:

Well I must say I would not be best pleased with someone who was poking about in my eye !!

It sounds as though Jezebel lives up to her name ! :lol:

She will tolerate so much but once she's had enough she certainly lets you know :roll:

Will get her booked in later I'm going back to bed :lol:

Good luck with Jezebel's eye flush Dave :D

In my experience one flush is never enough ..... but that may not be yours.
That was why I was so glad my little man didn't have to be sedated every 6 weeks for his tear duct flush.

I fully respect some vets feel they would rather sedate than do it consciously, and also that some patients are less 'patient' than others! :lol:

Taking her in at 17:10, I can't actually decide if it is still weeping so will get a different opinion when she goes in.

I'm edging towards not a problem but will see in a bit, she'll only be out of the house for about 20 mins so won't stress too much.

I've attempted to look more closely today but she keeps head butting me out of the way and trying to bite me!

Back