• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to de-green waterbottles

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
I change the water twice daily but still my big 1.5ltr waterbottle has gone really green

what is the best way to clean it?

Try a bottle brush - homebrew sections are often more useful than baby bottle ones (wide plastic handles won't go through bunny bottle necks) and scrub out the bottle when you change the water. You could also try covering the bottle - algae (the green stuff) grows in the light. Something like an old sock would do - but the bottle will still need cleaning at times - it just won't go green as fast.

Not a specific recommendation - just something to give you an idea of what to look for:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Cra...0436&sr=8-14&keywords=bottle+cleaning+brushes

Another vote for rice and water here. I don't shake it with the lid on though, in case it goes down the spout and gets stuck. I also find that it works best with a very small amount of water, to allow maximum movement for the rice!

I never had any luck with rice, must have been doing it wrong!
I highly recommend a cover though, the water bottle in my shed never gets any direct sunlight and I've never had any issues with algae.

Magic balls!!

Perhaps don't google it but I have a small pot of tiny ball bearings called "magic balls". Pop them in the bottle with a bit of water, swish round and empty. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magic balls!!

Perhaps don't google it but I have a small pot of tiny ball bearings called "magic balls". Pop them in the bottle with a bit of water, swish round and empty. :)

I used those for a while. Then I got a bit paranoid, because I thought the metal was coming off, and switched to the rice instead.

I used those for a while. Then I got a bit paranoid, because I thought the metal was coming off, and switched to the rice instead.

The balls do, indeed, go a greenish colour after a while. I assume the balls themselves are copper so this will just be oxidation. Looks a bit of putting but though, I agree. :thumb:

The balls do, indeed, go a greenish colour after a while. I assume the balls themselves are copper so this will just be oxidation. Looks a bit of putting but though, I agree. :thumb:

Yes, I'm sure it's fine really. I just felt a bit paranoid about it!

Back