• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maybe weepy eye?

Holhol

Alpha Buck
I am so sorry for all the questions over the last month! But I have another one...

I can't decide if Ferg now has a weepy eye (and given that he is now a dental bun I am slightly concerned). When he came home yesterday he just looked generally scruffy and was not in the mood for grooming so I didn't really notice but I've had a proper check of him this afternoon and I just think his right eye looks a little bit weepy.

There's no discharge and it doesn't look particularly red but there is a little bit of fur that looks like it's been wet and then dried a bit crusty. Can't find/feel/see any gunky crust.

I've given it a clean with some water water to see how it looks after cleaning in a bit/tomorrow am. I don't know if I'm just being a bit paranoid - he did have a GA for his dental on Monday so I don't know if it could be some artificial tear stuff/eye drops.

Think I'm just panicking a bit in case it's tooth roots - we didn't do x-rays as his WBC count was up so vet though that teeny spurs combined with an infection was the cause of stasis.

Am I being silly? Vet trip tomorrow maybe? (Again!!)

Can you post a photo of the 'weepy eye' ?

It could just be that he had a slight reaction to the lubricant used during his GA or he did not have enough applied and consequently his cornea became irritated. Tooth root elongation is possible, but not inevitable. As he had/has some sort of infection it may be that it has also caused slight conjunctivitis.

Sorry not to be able to suggest an exact cause, there are many possibilities !! If the problem continues then it would be necessary for the Vet to take a look

Can you post a photo of the 'weepy eye' ?

It could just be that he had a slight reaction to the lubricant used during his GA or he did not have enough applied and consequently his cornea became irritated. Tooth root elongation is possible, but not inevitable. As he had/has some sort of infection it may be that it has also caused slight conjunctivitis.

Sorry not to be able to suggest an exact cause, there are many possibilities !! If the problem continues then it would be necessary for the Vet to take a look

It's just been cleaned so doesn't look like there's much wrong with it but if it looks weepy again tonight I'll stick a picture on.

I'm really hoping that it's just down to tear solution, he's on antibiotics til Monday so if it's anything related to infection it should clear up anyway. Think I'm just worrying about tooth roots.

I'm gonna see how he is in the morning I think. hope it's nothing! X

It's just been cleaned so doesn't look like there's much wrong with it but if it looks weepy again tonight I'll stick a picture on.

I'm really hoping that it's just down to tear solution, he's on antibiotics til Monday so if it's anything related to infection it should clear up anyway. Think I'm just worrying about tooth roots.

I'm gonna see how he is in the morning I think. hope it's nothing! X

I hope it clears up of it's own accord, but please post a photo if you think there's anyone here who can help you.

Please try not to worry about tooth roots! I suppose because I've had so many buns with dental problems - mild and very serious - that I really don't concern myself over the possibility any more. There's only so much you can do and if he has a weepy eye from time to time then so be it.

I can't remember - does he have a partner to clean it up for him?:)

Hope to hear a good report soon, and more relaxation for yourself ..... xx

Hope it clears up soon and is just an irritation. I have two buns with tooth root problems and I find that feeding timmy hay really really helps. The gritty texture seems to keep the molars down and therefore the roots. Worth a try?

I hope it clears up of it's own accord, but please post a photo if you think there's anyone here who can help you.

Please try not to worry about tooth roots! I suppose because I've had so many buns with dental problems - mild and very serious - that I really don't concern myself over the possibility any more. There's only so much you can do and if he has a weepy eye from time to time then so be it.

I can't remember - does he have a partner to clean it up for him?:)

Hope to hear a good report soon, and more relaxation for yourself ..... xx

Panic over! Eye is fine this morning so must have just been from the GA yay! We're just on mission eat more hay instead so I'll be off to all the pet shops/garden centres/farm shops again :)

I'm trying to not worry too much about dental stuff - glad I know about him needing them now. Actually quite glad it's me that has him and he's not just stuck in a hutch somewhere not being looked after!

The plan was to get him a friend in May when I'm off for 2 weeks properly to bond them but since he's cost £750 ish this month and my mums paid for it all (and he lives in her house) I'm holding off til I graduate next June on mums orders haha :) not ideal but get where she's coming from, and I'd probably end up with the rescue with all the problems anyway! Xx

Panic over! Eye is fine this morning so must have just been from the GA yay! We're just on mission eat more hay instead so I'll be off to all the pet shops/garden centres/farm shops again :)

I'm trying to not worry too much about dental stuff - glad I know about him needing them now. Actually quite glad it's me that has him and he's not just stuck in a hutch somewhere not being looked after!

The plan was to get him a friend in May when I'm off for 2 weeks properly to bond them but since he's cost £750 ish this month and my mums paid for it all (and he lives in her house) I'm holding off til I graduate next June on mums orders haha :) not ideal but get where she's coming from, and I'd probably end up with the rescue with all the problems anyway! Xx

Noooooo :shock: I'm sure it wouldn't happen that way - it would be most unfair if it did!

So glad his eye is clean this morning and that you have an understanding (but firm!) Mum

Back