• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit insurance question

lilsouris

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get my two buns insured. Looking around I think Petplan seems to be the best option. Just had a question hope one of you guys could help me with before I go ahead.

When I'm filling in the online form it asks me to put in any instances of illnesses and vet treatments.

Buffy has had a couple of instances of gut stasis in March and November of last year so I've put in everything about that. and then reading the small print it says existing medical conditions will not be covered. Just wondered whether gut stasis would be classed as an existing condition?
Also I'm unsure as to what to put on the breed. My vet has them down as a domestic but that isn't an option not sure they have a specific breed so was going to put crossbreed.

ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

It's very tricky as you need to declare it otherwise any policy would be voided when if you ever made an initial claim as they normally request a full medical history.

One thing to remember is that Gut stasis is a symptom and not the illness, so you need to be very careful what you put on the online form.
Although the problem with gut stasis is that sometimes you never find out what caused it as the rabbit gets better with the standard treatment.
I know I never got to the bottom of George and Harry's episode of gut stasis although I did suspect stress as it happened a month after they had been bonded.

When I insured Harry at about 16 weeks old, I had to declare that she had an abscess on her eye that had been treated with eye drops. It was believed to have been caused either by the nest box, a bit of litter getting into the eye or a litter mate. It had healed up nicely but she is not insured for anything related to facial abscesses, tooth abscesses, eyes, etc. I need to get them to review this as she was 2 in february as she's never had any recurring issues since.

You might find that Buffy isn't covered for a lot of illnesses where gut stasis could develop, once you get your policy back. That was one of the annoying things I found with Pet Plan was that they didn't phone me to discuss the illness and it was only when I got the policy back did I find out Harry has exemptions. Although I still felt that it was worth insuring her. Therefore I would suggest that once you submit your online form that you also ring them about it and talk to them.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll do that and have a good chat with them because you're right that gut stasis is caused by something and like you we never found out what caused Buffy's. I'm just gutted that I never got them insured before because now I won't be able to claim again if she has another episode :/ ah well at least she'll be covered by other things.

it might be worth asking your vets for advice on what to write, as they will have experience when they have had other clients claims

it might be worth asking your vets for advice on what to write, as they will have experience when they have had other clients claims

I agree with this, the OP should definitely get their vets help with the wording before applying for the policy.

Whilst I agree that Pet Plan offer the best policy for rabbits as they include dentals if teeth are checked yearly, I know from experience that they will use the previous episodes of stasis to place as many exemptions as possible on the policy. So it may not be beneficial for the OP to continue with the policy once they know what exemptions have been placed (if any are placed) and whether to self-insure instead. Obviously this is for the OP to decide.

If you send them a complete medical history they might remove certain exclusions from your policy if it looks like they were random incidents rather than symptomatic of an underlying problem.

Very interesting.

I've been 'meaning to insure my two since end of January when a finance agreement ended. A few unexpected bills later and I still haven't done it.:evil:

Absolutely kicking myself now after Will being poorly yesterday.

I am at least going to get Nancy insured and have a follow up vets appointment Monday morning so will ask their opinion on how to word the form for Will.

I will report back in due course.

I said I'd report back on this Monday after Will's check up. Sorry for delay but nothing to report really. Vet said discuss with insurance company.

I hope that they will cover you for gut stasis episodes because it can get very expensive. Last September both of mine had stasis within a week of each other and both needed to stay overnight at the vet, with Thumper having to see the vet at 10pm so an emergency out of hours visit. The total bill was just shy of £700. Luckily the insurance covered it, other than the excess of course. Thumper gets regular bouts of stasis, the last one being only a few weeks ago and again she had to stay overnight at the vet. I haven't had confirmation from Pet Plan yet but it will be around £250 again.

Don't know if this is any help, as I haven't had a claim with them or anything (fairly new rabbit owner) but ive been using helpucover premium (lifetime cover) since ive got my two buns. They seem to cover everything that petplan do, and are a bit cheaper, im paying 6 pound a month per bun. The only problem with them is they wont pay out on dentals unless you've been with them for two years. xxx

My rabbit (no longer with us) had Gut Stasis frequently and it's classed as a re-occurring illness thus is not covered. (so say petplan!)

They wouldn't insure her for anything gut or stomach related so I never bothered insuring her.

My rabbit (no longer with us) had Gut Stasis frequently and it's classed as a re-occurring illness thus is not covered. (so say petplan!)

They wouldn't insure her for anything gut or stomach related so I never bothered insuring her.

I don't understand that as they've always paid out with Thumper and she has a couple of bouts a year that require vet intervention and if it's inside the 12 calendar months I don't even have to pay the excess as it's classed as the same episode.

Back