• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FORAGE IDENTIFICATION:SEE POST 133 FOR UPDATE re 31st May!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
I have been thinking for a while of having some kind of forage identification hands on event based at my house (and surrounding landscape) and people I mentioned it to at the Frances Harcourt Brown day were enthusiastic . .

so here is the idea:

One Day of Practical Hands On Forage Identification

Arrive c10.30 for coffee, home made biscuits etc

11- 11.45 Introductory talk on forage identification

11.45ish - 1pm 1st outing to a forage area

1-2 buffet lunch - based around home made bread, our own free range eggs, home made pizza slices etc, cheeses, etc and home made apple crumble (from own apples) or some such . . . (vegan alternatives where necessary).

Also time to visit the bunnies here and chat about housing etc

2-3 - Independent forage collection - with participants being sent out to try and collect various forage types on a handout - and also identify and collect some non-forage types and some they don't recognise

3-4 Round table chat and identification of what has been collected.

4-4.30 tea and more chat

4.30ish end of day

Added points:

Cost c£35 incl lunch etc is that fair?

Numbers: LIMITED - to 12 because want to have enough time and space for everyone - and parking is limited here. - so would probably run it twice if there was demand!! (hopefully!)

Location: PE7 3SD small village (VERY small) about 10km southwest of the centre of Peterborough just off A1. Nearest railway station Peterborough but no buses from there - so would need to arrange a lift and I think we would be too busy preparing the day to collect people - may think about this.

Disabled access: would be tricky with the bridlepaths - they are very very rutted and steep - but some verges might be possible in the afternoon. We have a downstairs loo and no steps at ground level.

Weather - well I cant guarantee good weather so would just have to carry on regardless!!!

Dates:

UPDATE Dates confirmed as now being May 17th and May 31st BOTH SUNDAYS

I will also get Parsley Piert Parcels to put it on Facebook and get comments there.

Can people share or nudge other people not on RU please?

BOOKING NOW OPEN via twigsway@me.com Please email direct

Last edited:
I would love to do this as currently I'm limited to dandelions and brambles! I could do either of the later dates, but not the earlier ones.

I would love to come but can only do Sunday's. Is there any possibility at all in offering varying days of the week?

Count me in!!!! This is a fantastic idea! Just like the £40 we paid to see FHB I think £35 is too low, it's a full day, with wonderful program and food, I would pay significantly more for the invaluable knowledge you will be imparting!

That sounds reasonable to me, I'd certainly be interested would just have to check transport etc 1st to get there

Oooh, it's quite a way from me but I might be able to work it in with something :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seriously NOT 30 mins walk from peterborough station to here!!! and we are brisk walkers!! (ask Kavanna on here :lol::lol:)

Its a brisk 20 mins walk from here to next village along towards A1 (Stilton)

It takes us c25mins to drive from here to Peterborough station.

Last edited:
First post for me but this is enough to get a lurker out in the open! I can do any of the days mentioned and live fairly close as well. Brilliant idea 8)

seriously NOT 30 mins walk from peterborough station to here!!! and we are brisk walkers!! (ask Kavanna on here :lol::lol:)

Its a brisk 20 mins walk from here to next village along towards A1 (Stilton)

It takes us c25mins to drive from here to Peterborough station.

Ha ha Google Maps maybe thinks I will be sprinting or something then :roll::lol:

Edit: I looked at the map more closely after the train its a bus to some random location and then a 30 min walk after that

Last edited:
Ha ha Google Maps maybe thinks I will be sprinting or something then :roll::lol:

Edit: I looked at the map more closely after the train its a bus to some random location and then a 30 min walk after that

yes thats the bus to stilton from peterborough (weekdays only every 1-2 hours approx!) and then its the 20 min walk I mentioned (told you we were brisk walkers - they say 30 mins!!). We would try and get a pick up at the train station if anyone needed.

Back