• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

softer sleeping areas for arthritis buns *pics p18*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
do arthritis buns need softer places to sleep? like extra padded fleece blankets etc? :wave:

eta: and would vetbed be suitable to use, even in summer when it's hot? :wave:

Last edited:
I use organic cotton towels for Mimzy's flooring, but underneath is lino. I'd really like to pad him up but he'd eat it. :( It's hard enough keeping him from making holes in what he's got.
Would Bisc cozy up to snugglesafes? I have one but it's such a hard thing. Can't wrap it up (see above) but Mimzy is right next to the heat register so he stays pretty warm. So where we lack in softness we make up for with heat. I know for me, my old bones like the warmth and Mimzy seems to like it too.

And Fiver has soft bedding but he can sometimes have the worst sore hocks...maybe because he's a minirex but I think someone on here once said the bedding can be too soft and cause foot issues? Not sure where I saw that. :?

Hope Bisc is doing better. It's no fun when your back hurts. :( (((((Vibes)))))) :love: xxxx

do arthritis buns need softer places to sleep? like extra padded fleece blankets etc? :wave:

eta: and would vetbed be suitable to use, even in summer when it's hot? :wave:

Some extra warmth may help his arthritis too. If he was my bunny, I would just make sure that the bunny can move to another area that is cooler if he desires.

I don't have arthritic bunnies but they have vetbed all year round because of previous issues with sore hocks. If it's hot they will sometimes choose to sit/lie on a slab.

thanks :wave: he has padded fleece blankets now and he sleeps on those. might get a piece of vetbed just incase and see what he thinks. i have a feeling they may have nibbled it in the past, but i always have the option to put it under one of his normal blankets if he's offended by it :roll::lol:

i remember reading about surfaces being too soft aswell in some cases, for things like hocks, so i wasn't sure if it would make things better or worse.

the other thing i could do is get some fleece blankets that are even more padded. or knowing me, i'll end up getting both! :lol:

The one thing I found my old arthritic lady loved was her plug-in heat pad. I used to make sure there were grippy surfaces all over her enclosure so that a leg wouldn't slide out from under her and cause pain. I used a varity of things from vetbed, deep substrate such as Aubiose, fake plastic grass etc. She did have a slabbed area where she could go if she got hot but almost 90% of the time she'd be sat on the heat pad.

In his last few weeks Albert had a deep straw bed on top of the foam playmats and he seemed to like that

i've noticed bisc has been falling asleep in his litter trays sometimes and wondered if he likes it because it's warmer on all the hay. usually means he's not feeling well though when he does it. one of his little signs to us.

forgot to answer your question mimzmum - yes, bisc will use snugglesafes. he really likes his and always has. he also likes to sleep next to the radiator in the colder weather.

think i'll pad up some extra places for him then and he can have a choice of where he wants to go. he has two main sleeping area's though so not sure whether to change one to vetbed or not? but i'm sure he will let me know if he doesn't appreciate it! :lol:

vetbed arrived, has been washed and dried, and is now in place in his freshly cleaned area. so he'll either not be bothered by it... or he'll be disgusted! :shock: we shall see...!

Oh I hope he does like it. I'd love to see a photo of him snoozing on him comfy bed. Bought my 2 a bed last week, they lie next to it!!

Oh I hope he does like it. I'd love to see a photo of him snoozing on him comfy bed. Bought my 2 a bed last week, they lie next to it!!

:lol: typical they lie next to it!

he's not even been over to it yet, but he doesn't tend to sleep in that spot until night time, so hopefully later he'll notice it. unless he already knows something is amiss and he's keeping away :shock::lol:

i'll get ready to take a pic if he does lie on it. i think he'd look so cute on it. :love: it's the 'mink' colour :love:

he won't lie on the vetbed! so it's now got one of his usual fleeces on top and that is acceptable to him :lol: so he's still getting the nice cushion effect :love:

Mottle and Peaches have a piece of vet bed next to the radiator in their room. They love it. They also like a little door mat that I bought for our old house. We dont need it here (no back door as the house is built up against a bank).

The rad. is just the other side of the filing cabinet. (This pic was taken before the vet bed was close to the radiator).

thanks both for the pics :love:

the lounge is carpet so he has carpet, then his main floor fleece blankets (primark ones), then the vetbed with a padded fleece blanket on top. he also has another padded fleece blanket infront of his wooden hut, and another infront on the tv! i've also ordered some profleece to go on top of his hut aswell for when he jumps up there.

i think in the colder weather aswell, i can always double up on the padded fleece ones.. so hopefully he will be warm and comfortable :love:

i've noticed bisc has been falling asleep in his litter trays sometimes and wondered if he likes it because it's warmer on all the hay. usually means he's not feeling well though when he does it. one of his little signs to us.

Ahhh...Fiver does this and I sometimes catch Pip in hers. I know they're both aging and getting a little creaky, but I always thought it was odd to sleep in one's toilet, however I can see how it might give them the support they need to feel more comfy instead of on hard flooring. :(

Terrible mental image, but they always look like they're in a roasting pan when they do that and all they need is an apple in their mouths. :oops: :roll: I find myself forever changing the litterboxes as they leave a blessing in it from the moment I drop it next to them. :? Of course, Mimzy hasn't been able to use a litterbox for years now (even before he got headtilt he had a hard time climbing in and out) so I think the fact that Bisc is still able to use his is a good sign. :thumb:.

Glad he accepted the vetbed at last, even if it's with the fleece on! :D They know what they want and how to get us to do it, don't they? :lol:

here he is, fast asleep all comfy and relaxed on his vetbed complete with essential fleece blanket over! :roll::lol:

20150419_150359_zpsky1cfytt.jpg

20150419_150415_zpsu575jgsu.jpg

it's so soft and squishy for him :love: just realised you can't even see the vetbed but oh well :lol: you can admire his cuteness and adorable woodland print fleece instead :love:

Ahhh...Fiver does this and I sometimes catch Pip in hers. I know they're both aging and getting a little creaky, but I always thought it was odd to sleep in one's toilet, however I can see how it might give them the support they need to feel more comfy instead of on hard flooring. :(

Terrible mental image, but they always look like they're in a roasting pan when they do that and all they need is an apple in their mouths. :oops: :roll: I find myself forever changing the litterboxes as they leave a blessing in it from the moment I drop it next to them. :? Of course, Mimzy hasn't been able to use a litterbox for years now (even before he got headtilt he had a hard time climbing in and out) so I think the fact that Bisc is still able to use his is a good sign. :thumb:.

Glad he accepted the vetbed at last, even if it's with the fleece on! :D They know what they want and how to get us to do it, don't they? :lol:

it seems even more odd when it's bisc sleeping in his toilet because he's so particular about being clean! but he does look all cosy, like a little nesting hen :love:

he uses his low sided garden potting tray alot more than his underbed storage box tray, but he is still able to hop in and out of it. i daren't move it though for fear of upsetting him! but i may switch to two low sided ones at some stage instead. x

Back