• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question for boarders or people who use them.

Family_Moose

Warren Scout
As have posted previously we're looking at boarding the girls when we move house in July!

One of the places we have found has a hutch available which is 6ftx2ft no run attached. I know the hutch size is the minimum size but I'm worried this isn't going to be enough for our girls as I can't be sure how much time they will get in the run that is available during the day.

Am waiting for someone else to get back to us on their hutch/run set up (a 7 hour round trip isn't an option to view places).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/views.

H
x

Speaking as someone who boards their bunnies, and as a boarding establishment, I would go no less than an 8ft hutch, unless it was going to be a very short stay or an emergency.

Saying that, I have before chosen a boarding establishment with 8ft hutches, rather than another with huge kennels and runs, because I felt the care was better. So if your only options were a 8ft hutch with a brilliant bunny savvy person that has a great vet, great hygiene procedures and good quality hay, or someone with a bigger space that didn't come upto scratch in the other areas, I would go for the smaller space (but never realistically less than 8ft for a longer stay).

I've actually just realised, I used to ask to see the hay when I was checking out places - I don't think anyone has ever done that here (to make sure the hay is good quality, not mouldy etc).

Speaking as someone who boards their bunnies, and as a boarding establishment, I would go no less than an 8ft hutch, unless it was going to be a very short stay or an emergency.

Saying that, I have before chosen a boarding establishment with 8ft hutches, rather than another with huge kennels and runs, because I felt the care was better. So if your only options were a 8ft hutch with a brilliant bunny savvy person that has a great vet, great hygiene procedures and good quality hay, or someone with a bigger space that didn't come upto scratch in the other areas, I would go for the smaller space (but never realistically less than 8ft for a longer stay).

I've actually just realised, I used to ask to see the hay when I was checking out places - I don't think anyone has ever done that here (to make sure the hay is good quality, not mouldy etc).

I so wish you were just that bit closer to our new house as I would be booking my girls in now lol Hopefully once we've moved I can persuade hubby that a 45 minute drive will be worth it when we go away!

Am really hoping the 2nd place gets back to me with more favourable accomodation options or our whole house move plans are going to have to be rethought! (It's a miltary move so lots of things added to the mix).

Obviously bigger is better. But the boarding place I use only has 6ft cages and no attached runs and as my guys are indoor buns I ask for them not to be put out in runs on grass.

I'm sure they don't like being stuck in a hutch when we are are away, but we go away very rarely and only ever for a couple of nights at a time. the lady who runs the boarding had had rabbits for donkeys years, feeds good diet (obviously I provide their normal food but I mean the range of hays she provides and her feeding routine) she is also up on bunny health and has a good vet she knows well.

I know that when my buns are there they are safe and well cared for. Yes they lose out on space for a couple of days, but that just makes them happier to get home! I don't think that living in restricted space for a couple of days is a welfare issue. If I were going for 2 weeks or had a giant breed bun then I'd go further afield and find somewhere with more space!

If we board them near our new house then it will be a 2 week stay!

Another question if a boarding place charges £x per night isnthat for all stays or do they in general have setbprices for 7/14 days/nights?

Hubby is concerned about costs and generally being a grumpy pants when it comes to this side of the move! He agrees with me on size of hutches etc and then gets disgruntled at the costs per night at some of the options!!

I would go for Cottontail Cottages (in my neck of the woods) because Jackaroonie, who lives in Wiltshire, recommended them on your other thread. I would imagine he'd have researched the boarding places in your new area and wouldn't do the journey if he didn't think it was worth it.

I'm afraid I wouldn't put my rabbits in a 6 x 2 hutch for two weeks.

Must be a problem for you if your husband is being difficult about the cost - boarding any pets is never cheap.

Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone could suggest a good boarding place. Personally I like large accommodation for my 2 lads as they are used to 96sqft of permanently accessible space at home so I wouldn't feel comfortable squishing them into 12sqft (6ft x 2ft hutch) for anymore than a night or 2 to be honest. I would be concerned it might cause them to squabble particularly if they can smell other rabbits.

Once we have moved I know we'll have more options as our nights away will be less in number than the 2 we ideally need for our plan a, plus my choices will have more sway by that point too as I can do the travel to take them etc. I have a plan b for the move but throws up other problems!

Gahhhhhh, why is nothing ever simple! At least we now have a rebonded pair rather than singles!

Family Moose if you are still looking, I am an hour away from Amesbury and can do a reasonable price. I have 6.5ft x 3ft apartments, with extra exercise space inside and excellent hay along with bunny knowledge.
Here is my website www.ashorthopaway.co.uk.

Contact me if its not too late or too far :)

Back