• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cannot believe its been a year this week ....

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Since Mr Bennett had a dental.

For those that don't know Mr B became a frequent bunny and between 2013 to 2014 had 7 dentals. On recommendation I bought Orchard grass hay and it has worked. Orchard grass hay is £71.98 a bale and even more expensive if you buy it in smaller quantities rather than in bulk, but I swear it is a miracle with bunnies that need dentals and can last up to 4 months, so really that is only £5.00 a week.

Last edited:
I bought my boy Orchard Grass Hay and all he does is pick it up and throw it around! I want him to eat it, as he is only 2 years old and already has had some small spurs. You're quite right, it's very, very expensive! The trouble is, my boy so much prefers grass to hay. I will keep trying him with it... :roll:

I bought my boy Orchard Grass Hay and all he does is pick it up and throw it around! I want him to eat it, as he is only 2 years old and already has had some small spurs. You're quite right, it's very, very expensive! The trouble is, my boy so much prefers grass to hay. I will keep trying him with it... :roll:

I got rid of the normal hay but I didn't have any problems with Mr B eating any sort of hay, however my foster bunny has terrible teeth and she isn't interested, not even keen on normal hay either.

Oh I'll have to give that a go. Max is now a frequent dental bunny, he varies between needing dentals every 6-8 weeks to going 3 or 4 months.

Oh I'll have to give that a go. Max is now a frequent dental bunny, he varies between needing dentals every 6-8 weeks to going 3 or 4 months.

That is what Mr B was like, the spurs always grew back quickly but you never knew when, I was getting desperate. There are other people on here and fb that swear by orchard grass hay, it has a high silica content which helps grind down teeth.

May have to try this, Ted has already had one dental and his new wife-bun may be prone to them. The problem is he will only eat B&M hay. :roll:

Is this oxbow orchard grass? Aurora has tiny spurs on her teeth :cry: both bunnies love their hay and eat alfalfa king timothy hay, which is very coarse but green and fresh smelling. They have oat wheat and barely hay, which is very straw like. I recently got a bale from hay for pets, I think that was timothy and Rye but it wasn't that great :(
really scared of aurora going under for her dental. Vet said it wasn't urgent and would probably need doing in a few months

That is what Mr B was like, the spurs always grew back quickly but you never knew when, I was getting desperate. There are other people on here and fb that swear by orchard grass hay, it has a high silica content which helps grind down teeth.

I didn't know this. :shock: It is the only hay that Pip can eat now. Timothy exacerbates her bladder problems for some reason and she tends to go into stasis once that happens. Our Oxbow brand has been full of brown leaf though lately and isn't as coarse as it has been earlier this year. :(

Wonderful to hear about Mr. B though! :thumb:

Great news about Mr B[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] .

I've tried Orchard Grass on my buns...Shelly and Holly go bonkers for it and will leave their food to eat it...the other buns like it but aren't as mad over it. It is a treat for them though..we have Orchard Grass Saturdays as it is expensive. ..especially with 9 buns and they all chomp happily on Timothy Grass hay.
Really good to read it had the high silica content...Bobo has had some spurs removed recently so might give him more of it.

Not bonkers Jane, this is almost six months ago and unfortunately Mr B has needed a dental since I put this thread up but he lasted more than a year, much better than seven in the previous year.

Rainbow it is indeed oxbow orchard hay. :DD

Minilop, not sure of postage, I think it goes by weight.

Mimzmum, the quality I have bought has been great. Glad Pip likes it.

Fellie, it maybe worth giving it to Bobo full-time. I buy a bale for £70.00 and it lasts six months and Mr B has a dog crate full of it which I change every second day so I use loads of it. If you didn't fill a dog crate every two days it could last more than a year.

Back