• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey is still getting wet underneath

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the questions but I need this to be right as Honey is due to her spay on Friday!

Honey is currently being treated for a urine infection as she keeps getting all her bum area soaked with wee. She has been on anti-biotics for 7 days now and we still haven’t seen any change.

Very oddly when it comes to her little wees, she is absolutely fine, and doesn’t get any on herself, but when she does the larger wees, she is doing these on my carpet the little tinker and getting completely soaked. Whenever I see her, she doesn’t seem to strain in anyway, and still runs around like a mad women. Also eating, drinking and pooping is fine.

The vet has suggested still going ahead with the spay on Friday as part of him believes this could partly be due to her being hormonal as she is also spraying up my lovely freshly decorated walls! (she and my other half aren’t seeing eye to eye at the moment!) Although they have suggested also taking a urine sample on Friday whilst she is under to test and see if anything comes of it but to also see how she is after her spay.

Her wee is yellowy orange and has never shown lots of calcium. She hasn’t had any kale or cauli for the last 5 days, and instead has been on just herbs and carrot tops. I do clean her off everytime, but she also does a brilliant job of keeping herself very clean! Does anyone have any advice? Could this purely be due to being hormonal or even lazy to why she is getting so wet?

She has previously been treated with Panacur as a precaution to Harvey’s eye ulcers. We discussed the possibilities of bladder splurge, stones and high calcium deposits but they don’t believe she is showing any signs.

Hope someone can help put my mind at rest as I just want her okay for her big op.

Thanks xx

Is it that she sits in any wee done on carpet etc or is she actually 'leaking' wee ?

You mention her doing 'little wees' and 'big wees'. Do you mean she sort of 'spots wees' here and there and then will sometimes do a 'proper' wee ?

Prior to her starting the abx did the Vet send off a wee sample ?

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the questions but I need this to be right as Honey is due to her spay on Friday!

Honey is currently being treated for a urine infection as she keeps getting all her bum area soaked with wee. She has been on anti-biotics for 7 days now and we still haven’t seen any change.

Very oddly when it comes to her little wees, she is absolutely fine, and doesn’t get any on herself, but when she does the larger wees, she is doing these on my carpet the little tinker and getting completely soaked. Whenever I see her, she doesn’t seem to strain in anyway, and still runs around like a mad women. Also eating, drinking and pooping is fine.

The vet has suggested still going ahead with the spay on Friday as part of him believes this could partly be due to her being hormonal as she is also spraying up my lovely freshly decorated walls! (she and my other half aren’t seeing eye to eye at the moment!) Although they have suggested also taking a urine sample on Friday whilst she is under to test and see if anything comes of it but to also see how she is after her spay.

Her wee is yellowy orange and has never shown lots of calcium. She hasn’t had any kale or cauli for the last 5 days, and instead has been on just herbs and carrot tops. I do clean her off everytime, but she also does a brilliant job of keeping herself very clean! Does anyone have any advice? Could this purely be due to being hormonal or even lazy to why she is getting so wet?

She has previously been treated with Panacur as a precaution to Harvey’s eye ulcers. We discussed the possibilities of bladder splurge, stones and high calcium deposits but they don’t believe she is showing any signs.

Hope someone can help put my mind at rest as I just want her okay for her big op.

Thanks xx

Sorry your buns are still stressing you out :shock:

It may be in part because of Harvey's change in health status. Marking her way, so to speak.

I don't disagree with your vet doing the spay and other tests at the same time, so long as she seems in the peak of health, which from what you say, she is.

Whilst she is under GA, could they do an abdominal X-ray and double check the bladder for anything mysterious? Sludge or stones or crystals?

I agree that after 7 days on antibiotics, I would be hopeful of seeing signs of improvement.

If her urine sample comes back fine, and there's nothing wrong with the bladder, then I would be tempted to put up with it and see how things settle down after her spay.

What do you think?

Hi both, thanks so Much!

Sorry I had a complete dopey moment writing this earlier, she has actually been on her meds for 5 days, got mixed up with the Easter weekend!

But anyways, when speaking to the vet today, we've decided to postpone honeys spay until she has had the full 10 day treatment. But if she is showing no improvement then yes we will do a urine sample, and something where they scrape the bladder incase their is a slight build up of calcium whilst she is under having her spay.

She is absolutely fine in herself, so fingers crossed things pick up over the next few days!

Hi Jane, yeah although it's hard as she's one hormonal little madam at the moment. So she's doing little wees where she is marking territory and suppose it's the normal wees that's causing the problems!!

Very odd at the moment, but secretly I know she's happy Friday has been postponed, as when I was on the phone to the vet & I said yeah I agree we should move it! she did a whopping binky! Lol! I burst out laughing on the phone & even the vet thought it was funny! :lol:

Thanks both & hopefully the next couple of days will give us an indication to what to do next. Must admit I am relieved she's not going in.. But have my fingers & toes crossed it is an infection & we start seeing improvements soon! :)

Xx

Hi both, thanks so Much!

Sorry I had a complete dopey moment writing this earlier, she has actually been on her meds for 5 days, got mixed up with the Easter weekend!

But anyways, when speaking to the vet today, we've decided to postpone honeys spay until she has had the full 10 day treatment. But if she is showing no improvement then yes we will do a urine sample, and something where they scrape the bladder incase their is a slight build up of calcium whilst she is under having her spay.

She is absolutely fine in herself, so fingers crossed things pick up over the next few days!

Hi Jane, yeah although it's hard as she's one hormonal little madam at the moment. So she's doing little wees where she is marking territory and suppose it's the normal wees that's causing the problems!!

Very odd at the moment, but secretly I know she's happy Friday has been postponed, as when I was on the phone to the vet & I said yeah I agree we should move it! she did a whopping binky! Lol! I burst out laughing on the phone & even the vet thought it was funny! :lol:

Thanks both & hopefully the next couple of days will give us an indication to what to do next. Must admit I am relieved she's not going in.. But have my fingers & toes crossed it is an infection & we start seeing improvements soon! :)

Xx

I think it's very sensible to postpone the spay. I would not want a Rabbit of mine to have open abdominal surgery whilst dealing with a possible active bacterial infection. I hope that the full course of Baytril will sort out the problem. Honey is very young to have bladder sludge problems so I would be surprised if it were that. But then again Rabbits are really good at 'surprises' !!

My bun recently had this. Wet underneath, leaving massive puddles outside the litter box. She had a week course of baytril and cleared up but 2 days after the course finished she is wet again. I still had baytril so I started her back on it on Sat and cleared up again. We are visiting vet tomorrow to discuss a longer course or changing anti bs.

Hi both, thanks so Much!

Xx

Yes if she's only had 5 days of treatment then it's fair to continue and see what happens. Good idea also to postpone the spay, as if the problem continues then the vet will be able to have a better look at her bladder whilst she is under.

It was really funny you saying how she reacted to the news of 'No Spay Friday'. She has obviously got a good connection with you, and you both seem to read each other's thoughts. A good relationship with your Bun, what more can you want :lol:

My bun recently had this. Wet underneath, leaving massive puddles outside the litter box. She had a week course of baytril and cleared up but 2 days after the course finished she is wet again. I still had baytril so I started her back on it on Sat and cleared up again. We are visiting vet tomorrow to discuss a longer course or changing anti bs.

aww bless her.. sending lots of vibes for your girly and hope she improves soon, hopefully it's nothing serious and the change of antibiotics will help her out! :)

well I am hoping Honey's will clear up over the next few days, she has a 10 day course. Otherwise she'll be going in for her spay and more tests whilst she's out to see if its maybe something to do with a build up of calcium crystals etc or something., as she's only 6 months we are hoping its nothing too serious!!

Thanks Jane and Mighty Max

Jane - thank you, yes I am relieved they have decided to postpone it and give her a chance to see if these anti-biotics do help clear it up. Haha... well the way my bunnies have been in the last few weeks, I'm hoping we don't have any surprises, but I wouldn't put it past her!

And thanks Mighty Max, yes I am lucky as I am close to both my bunnies, naughty me fell asleep last night, so Honey jumped up on the sofa and nudged me! scared the life out of me, but suppose she was just checking and being loving, until I realised I was late giving them their bedtime herbs! :lol:

Jane - thank you, yes I am relieved they have decided to postpone it and give her a chance to see if these anti-biotics do help clear it up. Haha... well the way my bunnies have been in the last few weeks, I'm hoping we don't have any surprises, but I wouldn't put it past her!

And thanks Mighty Max, yes I am lucky as I am close to both my bunnies, naughty me fell asleep last night, so Honey jumped up on the sofa and nudged me! scared the life out of me, but suppose she was just checking and being loving, until I realised I was late giving them their bedtime herbs! :lol:

Honestly Honey and Harvey, you just cant get the staff these days can you.................... :roll:

:lol:

Dreadful, you can see how stressed out they are.............................NOT !!

I think I may move in with them myself, I'll be no trouble, I promise :D

Jane you are more than welcome to.. think I need your brain with my two! :)

I only have one condition you must be good at taking your meds as I may have 10 weeks of practice but my two tinkers still keep me on my toes and I need someone to set an example for them! haha!

oh and no hiding under my bed for more than 2 hours at a time..

Jane you are more than welcome to.. think I need your brain with my two! :)

I only have one condition you must be good at taking your meds as I may have 10 weeks of practice but my two tinkers still keep me on my toes and I need someone to set an example for them! haha!

oh and no hiding under my bed for more than 2 hours at a time.

I will do my best !! :lol:

Ah yes, I understand the feeling of thinking they are thinking about you when ...... all the time they are thinking about themselves!

I sometimes have to keep putting myself in the position of 'rabbit' and realise ..... hmmmm, it's not about me. It's about them. AGAIN :shock:

(Lovely, lovely photos :love::love::love::love::love: )

Back