• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit won't be Anaethetised

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I've got 3 bunnies in for neutering, 2 boys and a girl. One of the boys has turned into a girl :D but the other female just won't be anaethetised so after trying for an hour they have had to give up. I didn't go to my usual Vet today as I am having these 3 done through a Charity so had to go to another Vet. So has anyone had this happen to them and does it mean she will never be able to be spayed?

The Vet rang me up and said they had been giving her the anaesthetic for an hour and daren't give any more as it would kill her, she just wouldn't go to sleep. I am really sorry I went to this other Vets now as I never have any problems with my usual ones :cry: It just adds to the stress doesn't it. She seems to be immune to whatever they are giving her. My other 2 are ok.

Oh, this bunny sounds like me, takes tonnes of whatever gas it is to get me to sleep. I would go back to the usual vet, it might be a different combination of drugs is required.

The Vet rang me up and said they had been giving her the anaesthetic for an hour and daren't give any more as it would kill her, she just wouldn't go to sleep. I am really sorry I went to this other Vets now as I never have any problems with my usual ones :cry: It just adds to the stress doesn't it. She seems to be immune to whatever they are giving her. My other 2 are ok.

Oh, so sorry to hear this Tonibun. Yes it adds to the stress, but up to now there's no harm done, is there?
Can you back to your usual vets .....They will be very interested to know what's happened.

Time has gone on and I didn't realise it is nearly 2 years since I put Cindy in for spaying. I have been very cautious about doing this but she is a very messy rabbit, she's messed their playhouse up to such an extent I shall have to get rid of it as even though they have 4 litter trays they still go in corners etc and the wee has soaked into the floor. She has also dug underneath the playhouse and the earth that she has dug out has all turned to mud and it looks so terrible. So I am seriously thinking she will have to be spayed and hopefully this time it will be ok. I don't think it was the Vet's fault as they are the ones which neutered Harley the haemophiliac so they are knowledgeable. Just scared of something going wrong.

Sometimes the stress causes an adrenaline release which prevents the system from processing the anaesthetic.

I'd suggest you go with her, and ideally stay with her while she has a premedication as this is what they'll use to "prep" her for the anaesthetic. If the premedication has a good effect, usually the GA induction goes a lot smoother. If you think having you there would help reduce her stress levels I'd discuss it with your vet prior to booking her in.

We used to have to do this with certain dogs, where the dog and owner would sit in the consult room, and we'd sedate with the owner there, and do the minor op we needed with the owner in the room.
Big ops, owners stayed for premedication, and induction but left once taken through to theatre.
Never had to do it with rabbits, but I know of other practices that used to have to do this.

Also having her booked in for a day when they have no dogs booked in for ops is a good idea, as they're often loud and stressy which makes prey species even more stressed out.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I hope you can get this sorted. It seems to be causing an awful lot of problems ...

Good luck for you and Cindy x

Sometimes the stress causes an adrenaline release which prevents the system from processing the anaesthetic.

I'd suggest you go with her, and ideally stay with her while she has a premedication as this is what they'll use to "prep" her for the anaesthetic. If the premedication has a good effect, usually the GA induction goes a lot smoother. If you think having you there would help reduce her stress levels I'd discuss it with your vet prior to booking her in.

We used to have to do this with certain dogs, where the dog and owner would sit in the consult room, and we'd sedate with the owner there, and do the minor op we needed with the owner in the room.
Big ops, owners stayed for premedication, and induction but left once taken through to theatre.
Never had to do it with rabbits, but I know of other practices that used to have to do this.

Also having her booked in for a day when they have no dogs booked in for ops is a good idea, as they're often loud and stressy which makes prey species even more stressed out.

That's very interesting about the Adrenalin preventing the anaesthetic to work! Maybe this is why they couldn't GA her. Thanks for that.

That's very interesting about the Adrenalin preventing the anaesthetic to work! Maybe this is why they couldn't GA her. Thanks for that.
Think of it this way....

If you were in a strange place with people you didn't know and sounds you didn't know, you wouldn't want to go to sleep no matter how tired you feel. It's the same for her, she'd be fighting falling asleep as she's scared of what might happen to her x

Think of it this way....

If you were in a strange place with people you didn't know and sounds you didn't know, you wouldn't want to go to sleep no matter how tired you feel. It's the same for her, she'd be fighting falling asleep as she's scared of what might happen to her x

Yes I can understand that! Would she be better if she went with Sammy her husbun?

Back