• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Belgian hares

Panjanda

Alpha Buck
Hi does anyone have a Belgian Hare on here ?
I'm thinking about getting one but trying to research the breed first x

no, sorry, but as in every case, I'd say, think long and hard and then get a Syrian hamster instead. if you get a Belgian hare, do get two. and plenty of space. that's what I've learned here. they're very beautiful.

I looked at your previous posts. you have loads of bunnies. why do you want more?:shock:

no, sorry, but as in every case, I'd say, think long and hard and then get a Syrian hamster instead. if you get a Belgian hare, do get two. and plenty of space. that's what I've learned here. they're very beautiful.

I looked at your previous posts. you have loads of bunnies. why do you want more?:shock:

Thank you for your advise x
All of my rabbits are well cared for and happy, I have a large garden and sheds plus time to spend with them , so I have room for more !

I love Belgians :love: they're so beautiful. I'd love to get one if I can find a breeder. They're supposed to be high strung, fast, one of the most intelligent, and eat a lot from what I've heard.

Because she loves bunnies? :p I only have 3 but if I could I'd have lots more! In fact I'm planning to get more this year, just need to put enough money in my vet fund and get a credit card. I never have sickly buns *knocks on wood* but this forum has traumatized me! :lol:

i'm sure i remember someone on here having a pair but i can't remember who! not very helpful i know :lol:

all i know about them is they are more energetic and require even more space than other bunnies

I had a Belgian cross, the lovely Boris. Couldn't have asked for a bunny with more character and love but I think its just individual character over breed but they are lovely. Lots of space to stretch their long legs and if keeping in a pen or anything like that it needs to be tall, Boris could jump anything it seemed haha! Also he had small issues with sore hocks which I *think* I read might be an issue with the breed...

Tulsi has a pair of hares

:D

I do. They are mother and son from cottontails rescue in wiltshire. They have a doe (belle) bonded with a red eyed white atm. http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/belle-belgian-hare/

My two, Autumn and Sunshine eat as much between them as my quad of lionhead crosses. They are big rabbits and do massive poos!!!

They do seem a bit quicker to startle than my other rabbits but omg they are soooo beautiful and inquisitive. They currently live in a 10 x shed and I have just ordered them an 8 x 6 run from the welfare hutch company.

I have wanted a pair for ages and couldnt belive my luck when I saw these two at the rescue.

Last edited:
I had a Belgian cross, the lovely Boris. Couldn't have asked for a bunny with more character and love but I think its just individual character over breed but they are lovely. Lots of space to stretch their long legs and if keeping in a pen or anything like that it needs to be tall, Boris could jump anything it seemed haha! Also he had small issues with sore hocks which I *think* I read might be an issue with the breed...

I would love to see some pictures. Interesting re; sore hocks. Mine have loads of straw and add their lovely rabbit fluff to it. I am getting a run soon so will keep an eye on their hocks.

I would love to see some pictures. Interesting re; sore hocks. Mine have loads of straw and add their lovely rabbit fluff to it. I am getting a run soon so will keep an eye on their hocks.

I'm sure I read it in a book and then looked it up... Only after I notices Boris' sore hocks so researched to see if it was a breed thing. I'll have a look for some pics of him, your pair are beautiful :love:

I'm sure I read somewhere that spinal problems are also a thing for hares (which I'm guessing will link to the sore hocks!) - as they've been bred and bred to be more and more elongated and hare like. So, unless you find rescue ones, research breeders carefully!

I have one who is off being bonded at a rescue at the moment (crosses fingers).

Hetty is beautiful and a real character! She needs lots of space and attention tho x

Thought I'd add a few pics of Boris, hare X. My sister rang me to say she kept seeing him in her garden for a few days but couldn't catch him, I went with a box and food and he came straight up to us. He was lovely from the beginning, this is him once I took him to my house a day after we caught him.

rabbits39.jpg

9c211a5f-5839-49e2-b328-dbbe1a1a4304.jpg

temporary-87.jpg

temporary-120.jpg

As you can see he loved his home comforts! :lol: I miss him every day :love:

Check out the circus stud's website - the lady has a true love of the breed and I found the website really informative.

Thought I'd add a few pics of Boris, hare X. My sister rang me to say she kept seeing him in her garden for a few days but couldn't catch him, I went with a box and food and he came straight up to us. He was lovely from the beginning, this is him once I took him to my house a day after we caught him.

rabbits39.jpg

temporary-87.jpg

temporary-120.jpg

OMG what an absolutely stunning rabbit x rip Boris x

rabbits39.jpg

Such a lovely bunny xxx

temporary-87.jpg

temporary-120.jpg

Such a lovely rabbit xx

Back