• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Never going on holiday again!

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Totally my own fault I admit that straight away.
I have just returned from a week abroad which was fraught with worry over my two rabbits. They are house rabbits and were looked after by my mam and OH's mam who came up twice a day taking it in turns to look after the bunny needs.
I wrote a manual of 11 pages of their routine and what to do if... and what good and bad poop looks like and what it means etc.
I got the impression that neither really took me seriously but then I do have ocd linked with the rabbits so allowed myself to be convinced that actually it was just me being over protective.

Anyway off I went and 2 days in I got a message off my OH's mam saying Springfield won't eat. My advice was get him to the vets now please even though it's OOH I'm happy to pay etc. Long story short I believe it to be because she had turned up much later to feed them than usual thinking it wouldn't matter (could be wrong ) and she didn't take him to the vets!! Was so annoyed I know it's out of the way a bit of a drive but she had agreed to this if necessary before the holiday. .. anyway.. no harm came because he ate a piece of apple that night and has eaten normally and pooed/weed etc normally since.

On the other hand, my mam has taken me telling her about the importance of hay VERY seriously which whilst good means that she filled their toilets so full of hay they couldn't actually sit in them lol so have weed all over the carpet tiles in their run which unless they dry outside will need replacing! I can laugh about that though because at least they had plenty hay!!

ah sorry no reason to this post more of a rant I realise now. Got back last night and such relief to be with the buns again and see them so excited we're back home and be able to look after them properly. Thankfully they're both absolutely fine but I've been proved right that I shouldn't have gone on holiday since I only trust myself and my OH to give them proper care.

ETA I am actually really grateful for their help. Just read this and it sounds so ungrateful! They did the best they could but I'm pleased to be looking after them again

Last edited:
But, imo you were fine to go on holiday as you have come back and they were both fine. It is more that you need to not worry so much :)

You're probably both right my worry was getting home and them being ill or worse... had to keep checking up on them after that which I'm betting was annoying the mams...

Going by how seriously your mum took the hay then you know you have at least one person who will care for them properly, if not overly! Sounds exactly like what my own mum would do :lol:

Aye, when I came back from a weekend away there was hay all over my room as my mum had given my two in 2 days what I would usually use in 2 weeks! :)

Well they normally have about 2 bags per week so I left 4 thinking waaay too much. They bought another 2 on top of that lol so 6 bags instead of the usual 2!! They haven't eaten it all mind probably ate their normal amount but at least it was there!

Think it stems from last year my mam looked after them for 2 days while we were in Belfast one weekend and hardly gave them any hay saying "I was worried I'd feed them too much " I was like nooo! I told you, you can't overfeed hay!! So she had a stern telling off then lol

I can completely understand I'm desperate to go away to La Rochelle but can't. My Mum is great with Ludo but he misses me and I'm worried he'll get ill.

I can completely understand I'm desperate to go away to La Rochelle but can't. My Mum is great with Ludo but he misses me and I'm worried he'll get ill.
Well that was what my vet said that Springfield was basically huffing because he missed me. ... not sure how much I believe that but I'm not a vet!

well done all of you - bunnies for surviving, mams for sorting it somehow and no-one died, and you for getting a break. well done indeed.

I feel for you hun. We go away at the end of may and Im starting to worry myself now. Go my brother house/bunny sitting which makes me feel a bit better that they're not going to be on their own as he'll be staying here, but I think I'll be writing a novel of instructions lol. The thing that's really worrying me is my brother doesn't drive so I worry what will happen if they need the vet :s

I feel for you hun. We go away at the end of may and Im starting to worry myself now. Go my brother house/bunny sitting which makes me feel a bit better that they're not going to be on their own as he'll be staying here, but I think I'll be writing a novel of instructions lol. The thing that's really worrying me is my brother doesn't drive so I worry what will happen if they need the vet :s
If you send me your email address I can send you the one I wrote so you could just change it? I'm thinking maybe weekend breaks abroad to cities or just British weekend away I could manage but I'll have to think very carefully about it now x

If you send me your email address I can send you the one I wrote so you could just change it? I'm thinking maybe weekend breaks abroad to cities or just British weekend away I could manage but I'll have to think very carefully about it now x
Awww really hun? That'd be amazing thanks I'll PM you
:)

11 pages... what did you write?
Umm see if I can remember the chapters lol
1. Routine inc food/hay/water/play
2. Emergency contacts
3. Possible illness signs and what to do if spotted
4. 2 pages about good and bad poop lol
5. Normal behaviour such as binkies
6. How to clean out

Quite a bit of other stuff too. Just wanted to cover all potential bases!

Back