• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gammy Eye

Vicki

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I am after some advice really, Harvey was fine yesterday and then this morning I noticed one of his eyes was quite watery and he was keeping it closed? I have bathed it but it is still the same tonight, he will open it now and again but generally he has kept it closed all day, does anyone have any ideas?

He is upto date on his injections, and is normal in himself in terms of eating, drinking, going to the toilet etc and has been in his run today like normal. He is nearly 10 though, not that im saying its his age but he is getting older now but still generally acts his usual self! His other eye is fine, no problem at all! I have attached some pictures.....

Aww bless him! I have a little Harvey man too :wave:

Does he seem to have any marks in his eyes at all?

Really hope he's okay xx

He may have a corneal abrasion/ulcer. This can be caused by either a traumatic injury such as a scratch from a strand of hay, or it can be due to bacterial infection. He needs to be seen by a Vet ASAP. The Vet will probably use a special dye in the eye which picks up any sign of ulceration. Corneal ulcers are very painful and if left untreated they can become a serious problem. I would avoid rubbing over the closed eyelid as if the cornea is ulcerated doing so may make it worse.

Thanks for your quick replies! I will try and get him to the vet tomorrow, i did see a little tiny redish pimple looking type spot on the top of his eyelid? Very tiny? What could have caused this?! Is so out the blue?!

Thanks for your quick replies! I will try and get him to the vet tomorrow, i did see a little tiny redish pimple looking type spot on the top of his eyelid? Very tiny? What could have caused this?! Is so out the blue?!

What did the vet say?

Back