• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some tips on rabbit bonding. Old rabbit (2 years) with new rabbit.

FredW

Alpha Buck
:wave:Hi, We had our 2 yeah and 4 month old female dutch rabbit spayed (had to she kept rubbing herself on my arm and leg like a male dog, and kept buildings nests) a few weeks back, and she's now fully back to her normal self, which is great.

We are thinking of getting her another rabbit companion, as she's very affectionate and enjoys cuddles, so we think it would be good for her having someone with her to groom and cuddle up to. However I am aware not every bonding goes well, so I am just trying to make sure I do all I can to ensure it will go smooth (by the way, there is unfortunately no neutral space we can introduce them, since our little girl has the run of the house really).

So my main questions are, Is there a certain breed that goes best with dutch rabbits, and would it be best to go for a male companion? Also would we be able to have the new rabbit with her in her hutch over night, once they are bonded, or would we need a new hutch for the two together, her current one is large enough it could fit another one in.

Thanks, Fred

You certainly did the right thing by having her spayed as most unspayed does develop uterine cancer by the age of 5.

I suggest approaching a Rescue who may well have a neutered male they would bond with your doe, making life a lot easier for you. Yes, most rabbits are much happier as part of a bonded pair and opposite sexes very often work best.

Just wondered where abouts you are in case anyone knows of a nearby Rescue.

:wave:Hi, We had our 2 yeah and 4 month old female dutch rabbit spayed (had to she kept rubbing herself on my arm and leg like a male dog, and kept buildings nests) a few weeks back, and she's now fully back to her normal self, which is great.

We are thinking of getting her another rabbit companion, as she's very affectionate and enjoys cuddles, so we think it would be good for her having someone with her to groom and cuddle up to. However I am aware not every bonding goes well, so I am just trying to make sure I do all I can to ensure it will go smooth (by the way, there is unfortunately no neutral space we can introduce them, since our little girl has the run of the house really).

So my main questions are, Is there a certain breed that goes best with dutch rabbits, and would it be best to go for a male companion? Also would we be able to have the new rabbit with her in her hutch over night, once they are bonded, or would we need a new hutch for the two together, her current one is large enough it could fit another one in.

Thanks, Fred

Hello Fred and welcome to RU :wave:

There are no breeds of rabbits that go with particular rabbits, but the best breed I find for bonding is a RESCUE rabbit :thumb:

As Babsie says, a rescue will be able to give you a neutered male and if by any chance the bond doesn't work, they will of course take him back. Some rescues will even offer to do the bonding for you.

Once they are bonded, they can live together 24/7. Whether your hutch is big enough for two rabbits is another question .. A hutch that's too small would certainly mean they could get on each others' nerves, a bit like humans really :D

As for a neutral space - can you disinfect your kitchen floor perhaps?

Oh ..... and two years isn't old for a rabbit (says my senior bun who turns 13 this year :lol: )

Thanks for those replies. I just want to do the best for her, and while I do think she seems happy on her own, there are times when I wonder. she is such a loving and affectionate little bun, that I just stress over her not getting what she really needs. so will try and find out what rescue places are around and contact them. by the way, Babsie, I am just outside Hastings in East Sussex, in between of St Leonards and Battle, if that helps.
PS. MightyMax, was thinking about the kitchen before, only thing is, that's the only room, that and the bathrooms she never been in, as they are tiled and she cant walk on those tiles. maybe a rug may help... don't know, worth exploring those rooms more I guess.

Good luck finding a lovely husbun for your little sweetie. She sounds like a delight. There was a time we had a single rabbit for quite a few months when we lost her sibling. She was also a little Dutch girl. We got a rescue rabbit to bond with her and never regretted it. That time we bonded them in an outdoor run. Just this month we have been busy bonding again, this time we used a room with a tiled floor with a cheap rug on the floor (and a good deal of advice and support from RU :) ). Keep in mind you only need a small space initially, my floor space was narrow, so I used a large sturdy piece of cardboard to partition off about 2 square feet.

Good luck finding a lovely husbun for your little sweetie. She sounds like a delight. There was a time we had a single rabbit for quite a few months when we lost her sibling. She was also a little Dutch girl. We got a rescue rabbit to bond with her and never regretted it. That time we bonded them in an outdoor run. Just this month we have been busy bonding again, this time we used a room with a tiled floor with a cheap rug on the floor (and a good deal of advice and support from RU :) ). Keep in mind you only need a small space initially, my floor space was narrow, so I used a large sturdy piece of cardboard to partition off about 2 square feet.

Thanks for the cardboard tip as well, will bear that in mind.
already contacted two rescue places, so fingers crossed she'll be getting a new friend soon. :)

Looks like no one in my area wants to let go of any rabbits.... :(
one rescue centre closed last year, one doesn't reply... and the only other one I can find is too far away, without a car.... so if anyone knows of a rescue place in or around the Hastings area please let me know. :)

OK.... well all day on the phone to different places, emails out etc... and I simply cannot find a rescue place here, the closest one is an hour drive away, but they don't want to rehome so far out their area, so really don't know. will keep looking through local papers, all I could find so far are babies.... don't know if you can bond a 2 year old one with one that's only young still, and unneutered.... can that be done?

Back