• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just found a baby wildie in middle of road

Tracy

Warren Veteran
I drove by, saw him and thought he was dead, but turned around and drove back to check. He was alive, so I scooped him up, wrapped him in a blanket and brought him home. He is sodden (pouring with rain here) and terrified. :( He is in a cardboard box stuffed with hay, I daren't check on him as he is so frightened. I don't know what is wrong with him, he may just have been clipped by a car and be dazed or it may be worse. I guess he is 5 to 6 weeks old.

I am expecting that he might pass away within the next few hours due to injury or fright, but if he survives and needs treatment then I need a plan of what to do with him and where to take him.

It's the last thing I need at the moment. I was on my way home from the vets after leaving Scooby for investigative procedures into why he is still not eating following his incisor removal.

I feel so stressed. :(

I drove by, saw him and thought he was dead, but turned around and drove back to check. He was alive, so I scooped him up, wrapped him in a blanket and brought him home. He is sodden (pouring with rain here) and terrified. :( He is in a cardboard box stuffed with hay, I daren't check on him as he is so frightened. I don't know what is wrong with him, he may just have been clipped by a car and be dazed or it may be worse. I guess he is 5 to 6 weeks old.

I am expecting that he might pass away within the next few hours due to injury or fright, but if he survives and needs treatment then I need a plan of what to do with him and where to take him.

It's the last thing I need at the moment. I was on my way home from the vets after leaving Scooby for investigative procedures into why he is still not eating following his incisor removal.

I feel so stressed. :(

Poor little mite :cry: I'd try and locate a Wildlife Rehabilitation place to take him to if he survives.

Sending vibes for both him and for Scooby.

Tracy are you near any Wildlife rescue centres as they will take him as usually they have wildie babies of the same age and put them all together. xxxx

Oh Tracy, I'm sorry. I know the feeling, you are compelled to help but it can be a huge upheaval. At least hopefully at that age they will be weaned so much easier to care for. I hope s/he is okay and you can find a safe place for them soon.

Sorry also to read about Scooby, I hope his problems are resolved soon.

Yes I think wildlife rescue is what I need to contact.

I have just peeped at him and he buried himself into the hay. He is old enough to have the fear of humans. I've spoken to my vets, if he is still alive I'm going to take him there to be checked over when I fetch Scooby home and the nurse on duty is going to check out where we could take him for rehabilitation.

Last edited:
Try and contact brinsley rescue they take in wild animals and rehabilitate them then release them

Yes I think wildlife rescue is what I need to contact.

I have just peeped at him and he buried himself into the hay. He is old enough to have the fear of humans. I've spoken to my vets, if he is still alive I'm going to take him there to be checked over when I fetch Scooby home and the nurse on duty is going to check out where we could take him for rehabilitation.

I'm sorry Tracy .... another thing piled on top of you, and you must be tired from yesterday.

I'm also sorry to hear that Scooby isn't picking up to the point of you not worrying....
Good luck with the vets - many vibes xxx

Oh no!! Hope you find a suitable place for the poor wildie.

Sorry to hear Scooby still isn't picking up. Gentle nose rubs to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done for picking him up - lots wouldn't have bothered. I had a similar experience with a baby wildie who sadly had myxi. Vibes for the bunny - and much deserved hugs for you.

He's now with Beth at Brinsley animal rescue. She checked him over and all his limbs seem to be working OK and he could hop. He had dried off by the time we got him to Beth and looked a bit bigger than when I had first scooped the sodden mite up, we think he is a bit older than 5 weeks.

Off to collect Scooby now. He's had his mouth rechecked under GA and had more xrays, everything looks perfectly fine, so why he won't eat properly is still a mystery.

He's now with Beth at Brinsley animal rescue. She checked him over and all his limbs seem to be working OK and he could hop. He had dried off by the time we got him to Beth and looked a bit bigger than when I had first scooped the sodden mite up, we think he is a bit older than 5 weeks.

Off to collect Scooby now. He's had his mouth rechecked under GA and had more xrays, everything looks perfectly fine, so why he won't eat properly is still a mystery.

Well done with the Wildie Tracy :D

Sorry about Scooby .... did the vet have any additional ideas on his eating?

well done you for stopping despite having a million other things on your mind. Hoping Scooby will miraculously start eating again soon. As he was eating immediately after his op could they try and strong pain killer (tramadol, ketamine etc NOT bupronorphine in case it just sends him to sleep) and see if he starts eating whilst on strong pain killer?

Back