PDA

View Full Version : Trixie 'snack roll'ůsafe for unsupervised play?

ImoT
11-04-2015, 09:26 PM
I bought this for Winston today; http://www.trixie.de/en/mk/Search,23?showDetail=17269&search=rabbit+snack

I bought it with the intent to let him play with it whilst we are at work for extra enrichment. But having read the instructions it says for supervised use only :( So I just wondered what you all thought? I was going to put a few dried parsnip bits and carrotys as well as his daily allowance of pellets in it bulked up with hay and forage. I just tried him out with it and he absolutely loves it! He was rolling it and picking it up and throwing it and it was so lovely to see. I would love to let him have it whilst we were at work, i'm not sure what could go wrong with it? Do you think it would be safe?

ImoT
11-04-2015, 09:47 PM
I've just realised this should be in 'rabbit chat' not 'general chat'...can mods move it?

J&R
11-04-2015, 10:17 PM
I wonder if the supervision is in case of choking if people put pellets in it, perhaps when you're out you could just use it for hay and forage?

ImoT
12-04-2015, 08:17 AM
I wonder if the supervision is in case of choking if people put pellets in it, perhaps when you're out you could just use it for hay and forage?

Hmm okay, I usually put his pellets in his hay and there's no guarantee he will have eaten every single one before I go to work. I hadn't really thought of the choking risk :oops: The holes aren't really big enough to o get good amounts of hay and forage out, but I guess I could try!

Glingle
12-04-2015, 11:56 AM
They're probably just being cautious to prevent any complaints/litigation. Ultimately it's down to the individual to decide if their particular animals are safe using it alone.

ImoT
12-04-2015, 04:18 PM
They're probably just being cautious to prevent any complaints/litigation. Ultimately it's down to the individual to decide if their particular animals are safe using it alone.

Would you let your rabbits use it alone?

Glingle
12-04-2015, 05:16 PM
I think it depends on the size of the openings ie could they get a tooth caught in them and is there anything that is soft chewable plastic. Don't like the idea of putting buttons inside it to reduce the speed go food release.
I have to be honest and say that I had a jingle bell throw ball toy that was supposed to be supervised use only and I had it left in their run for about 2 years.

mini lop1
12-04-2015, 05:19 PM
I've just realised this should be in 'rabbit chat' not 'general chat'...can mods move it?

I've requested to mods for you to move to rabbit chat :wave:

ImoT
12-04-2015, 08:05 PM
I think it depends on the size of the openings ie could they get a tooth caught in them and is there anything that is soft chewable plastic. Don't like the idea of putting buttons inside it to reduce the speed go food release.
I have to be honest and say that I had a jingle bell throw ball toy that was supposed to be supervised use only and I had it left in their run for about 2 years.

I have a plastic jingle ball in the kitchen where he lives that came with him and it's in there permanently, I didn't know that was meant to be supervised! I'm certainly not putting buttons in the toy, but I think I will only let him have it supervised for now, or when i'm out for an hour or so rather than 7 hours!

I've requested to mods for you to move to rabbit chat :wave:

Thank you, for future reference how would I request for a thread to be moved? And how do I know who the mods are?

J&R
12-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Having seen one of mine choking on a pellet and rushing her to emergency vet, I never let them have pellets unsupervised again. I can't imagine the plastic would be any danger though

ImoT
12-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Having seen one of mine choking on a pellet and rushing her to emergency vet, I never let them have pellets unsupervised again. I can't imagine the plastic would be any danger though

Oh wow okay. Hmm I might have to save his pellets for the evening then when I am around. And just give him some extra herbs in his bowl in the morning. Winston isn't going to be my friend in the morning, he loves his pellets :(