• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cruelty case-warning upsetting pictures

Frankie28

Young Bun
It is a rather complicated, long story but I have ended up taking in another bun. She currently doesn't have a name (any suggestions welcome) and is a sweet little thing. We think she is about two but that's just at a guess. She has been taken out of a situation where she wasn't getting the care she needed-no food, water, tiny enclosure etc. The poor girl has a very bad case of mites and is alarmingly underweight. She also has sores on her feet from standing in urine. I'm afraid she had no bedding at all, just a plastic tray.
She has been to the vets and she is having a course of injections to treat the mites. Apart from her weight and mites, she seems in good health and is fairly bright in herself. Once she is stronger I will get her vaccinated, spayed etc.
She is nibbling at hay but I think she has mainly lived on a pellet diet, when she has been fed that is. I have been sprinkling pellets through it to encourage her. Are there any other hay tempting tips?
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for weight gain. Obviously I must be very careful not to shock her system, but I was just wondering on pellet amounts and whether I can give her anything else to help? She of course has ad-lib access to hay and she has a bowl of readigrass.
She is completely on vet bed as her feet are so sore. She sits in a very peculiar way and folds her front feet so she is sitting on the back of them if that makes sense? I think they are far too sore to put pressure on. The vet seemed to think these would heal in time and obviously now that she is on bedding. I wondered also if there was anything I could do to help this?
I may possibly end up bonding her with my two, although a local rescue has said they could take her. At the moment the most important thing is getting her back to full health as she is not out of the woods yet.
Here she is-

Oh God poor poor girl.Truely awful state for her to get into.Im so glad you have her in your care now.
Just trying to remember what I gave my thin rescue boy three years ago.I did give him rolled oats(in moderation as they can upset tummies).A good diet-copious amounts of hay(different sorts if you can), gradually introducing greens, and whatever pellets she is used to though is a good start.
Bless her,she has really landed on her paws with you and will start to appreciate that soon.

Last edited:
Just look at her backbone showing through :cry:

As Hoppetylop says, porridge oats are good. I feed them to my oldies every day - a small amount, but start with a pinch or two. Sunflower seeds are full of vitamin E and rich in good fats.

My rabbits are free fed Readigrass. Some people like to offer small amounts or sprinkle it through the hay.

I took on a very neglected rabbit a while ago, and his teeth were in a terrible state. Perhaps if the vet takes a look at hers when you visit, and you might also ask if it's a thought to give her a 28 day course of Panacur, given that the state of hygiene in her previous home was inadequate.

What did your vet suggest to treat her sore feet?

Bless you for taking her on :love:

Bless her, well done you. I can't advise about diet but when I looked at her the name Trudy popped into my head, which apparently has the meaning 'universal strength'. :love:

The vet looked at her teeth and was surprised to find that they looked fine. I thought about panacur too, though imagined she'd need to put weight on first? She's seperate from my two and I'm sorting my two first then her so I can wash afterwards. She really is ever so sweet considering the horrible start she has had.

Oh and on the feet front, she said that given time they should heal themselves. As long as she had adequate bedding.

I have just ordered her a hay selection from the hay experts and hay 4 pets to see which she prefers. Hopefully I will find something suitably tempting!

I have just ordered her a hay selection from the hay experts and hay 4 pets to see which she prefers. Hopefully I will find something suitably tempting!

That's a great idea.
Keep us posted, if you can,on her progress.Im sure she will do fine now with all your help.

Oh my goodness, poor little girl, she is so gorgeous too.

My Tilly piggie was kept on soaking wet sawdust and had urine scald on all of her feet. She walked on tip toe as her back pads were too sore to put weight on them.

I used Bepanthen on them + lovely clean Megazorb and they soon healed.

I would call her Annabelle which has the meaning of "Gracious, lovable beauty" :)

Would the Bepanthen be safe if she ingested it? As she does wash her feet a lot.
I've just ordered her a puppypen for the garden. Obviously she will only be in it when I am there with her. I'll put a fleece down on the ground and pick her a bit of grass so I can limit how much she is having.
Thank you all for your kind words. She seems brighter this morning and even had a little hop and a skip around the caravan (where her crate currently is). Once she is feeling better I think she will be quite a character :love:

I can't believe the state of this poor girl! What a horrible situation to be in! Relieved that you have her and she will be on the road to recovery soon!

All I can really think with regards to putting on weight is giving her a pellet that is high in protein like a dwarf and junior pellet? I hope she does better soon xx

Poor little girl. :cry: What a dreadful state she is in. Thank goodness she is now safe and in good hands.

Alfalfa hay is good for weight gain, someone recommended it to me when I was trying to maintain my pneumonia bunny Wallace's weight. Alfalfa is high in calcium so not something you would be wanting to feed freely on a long term basis.

Here's the little girl this morning

I have ordered her junior pellets as mine are on the mature pellet. The junior has 5% more protein.

Last edited:
Oh the poor little thing!

The most underweight rabbit I've seen at Rabbit Residence was Nelson, for a giant he was about 2.5kg when he came in. He's now just over 5kg. He had junior pellets, readigrass, a ton of hay of course, but also a handful of "morning mix" - Chudley's Rabbit Royale museli, just to get that extra stuff into him! The rescue often uses that "morning mix" for underweight or ill rabbits (they get pellets in the evening). Maybe some Fibrefirst sticks too? Her poor gut must be in such a mess.

This was Nelson when he arrived, bag of bones just like your girl! That's the Chudley's stuff on the left.
1457608_10152078875903114_2044843141_n.jpg

Last edited:
I will grab her some alfalfa and muesli on the way back from sorting the horses today. Can't seem to find the fiberfirst sticks?

Also, is this the right Panacur?

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Panacur_Rabbit_Paste/c75/

Obviously I will not treat her yet, but when I have looked on here people refer to a 28 day course, whereas this is 9 day?

A 28 day course will successfully eradicate the parasite E.Cunciculi. You can buy Panacur quite cheaply online and also from vets' surgeries. I don't think it's overly expensive there either.

It's the Panacur 10% liquid you need at a dose of 0.2ml per kg. The 9 day course is sold as a worming treatment but isn't really long enough to completely eradicate E.C.

You will also need to clean the litter trays with a 10% bleach solution on days 21 and 28 of treatment and steam clean the carpets and other areas.

Back