• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding progress! UD/ I give up.

Little Albie is just adorable! Really interesting way that you're approaching this.

It's very different to my normal approach! Normally I put all the bunnies in a small, neutral pen and just supervise 24/7, gradually increasing their space. This time, I'm bonding these three as a trio and then I'll add each extra bunny in one at a time (when my nerves can handle it) :lol: I think it's the only way that this may work.

How adorable. Are they in a dog basket?

They're in a puppy pen in my room, but yeah there's a massive dog basket taking up most of the pen and it's filled with newspaper and hay. These three don't use a litter tray (obviously they think they're too cool to be litter trained) and if I didn't use the dog bed there'd be pee and poop all over my floor, which just isn't okay :lol: Underneath the dog bed there's a thick blanket, and underneath that there's a folded up tarp to stop any sneaky pees from getting on the carpet.

It's very different to my normal approach! Normally I put all the bunnies in a small, neutral pen and just supervise 24/7, gradually increasing their space. This time, I'm bonding these three as a trio and then I'll add each extra bunny in one at a time (when my nerves can handle it) :lol: I think it's the only way that this may work.

I've just had a bond like that, not the normal approach! Every attempt in the small space I'd usually use [neutral, i mean size wise] went less than desirable. Could tell they were both stressed at the lack of space. Tried them in a 6x4 run, absolutely no issues and we have grooming. 48 hours later and they were rock solid and lying together. Definitely wouldn't be the approach I'd usually take!

I think it's a great thing, there's a lot of rules with bonding and sometimes I feel like they should be bypassed if you know that won't work for your rabbit. You know them best afterall!

Awwwww lovely photos :D good luck with the next addition! When are you planning to add to the trio?

I honestly have no idea when I'll add to the trio/who I'll add first etc. Having the bunnies in my room really upsets my routines and I haven't slept in three days because of it :lol: So I think I (and they!) need a break for at least a few days. I think adding in more bunnies will only succeed once these three have a solid, established bond, so I'm definitely not adding anyone in straight away :)

Pud turned on Pickle and Albie when I let them out into the run. It's my fault, was too much too soon. It was definitely Pud causing the drama so I separated him off for an hour and left Pickle and Albie together while I nipped into town (my little brother watched the buns for me). Just got back, and moved the three boys back into the bonding pen in my room. All are eating hay/flopped out. So bizarre that two hours ago they were fighting! :lol:

So disappointed by the setback though as I'm at my boyfriend's tomorrow night... if I can't trust them to be alone together I'm not sure what I'll do. I was hoping to move them into the shed tonight as they had been together for three days with no incidents, but obviously that can't happen now.

Last edited:
What a shame! Great to hear they're getting along now, too much too soon like you said. Hope you figure something out for this weekend!

Had to separate at 5am this morning. Pud just wouldn't leave the others alone and kept humping them, something he never does and hasn't done for the last four days... Pickle got aggressive and attacked Albie as he was running away from Pud.

I haven't slept in 3 days, I'm exhausted in every sense of the word and I couldn't risk the bond between Pickle and Pud breaking down even more. I took Albie out and I'm absolutely heartbroken about it, he was so happy to have friends but I can't risk his safety. I had a full on breakdown in the early hours as I've wasted 3/4 days and ended up achieving nothing... When they had been doing SO well.

Spring fever is probably just at play, it's not a good time to bond anyway. I'm not sure where to go from here, but there's one thing for certain; rabbits are not my friends right now :lol: :cry:

Aw man, what a shame! Well done for trying: hopefully once all the hormones have calmed down a bit it'll go OK, as they seem to be doing OK generally, right? Fingers crossed for next time!

Aw man, what a shame! Well done for trying: hopefully once all the hormones have calmed down a bit it'll go OK, as they seem to be doing OK generally, right? Fingers crossed for next time!

Yes I genuinely think it's all hormones and spring fever, as they were so loved up. Will try again when I next have time off hopefully!

Back