• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits and Sunburn?

Purin77

Young Bun
Hi, wondering if anyone knows are light coloured rabbits at risk of sunburn? I know heat stroke can be fatal and is something to be very aware of but just wondered about the above also, I have a Magpie Dwarf Lop who loves being outside whenever he can be on a sunny day :)

Most rabbits can tolerate quite a bit of sunshine, it's white bunnies that are most at risk. Sorry, not being very helpful.

Hi, wondering if anyone knows are light coloured rabbits at risk of sunburn? I know heat stroke can be fatal and is something to be very aware of but just wondered about the above also, I have a Magpie Dwarf Lop who loves being outside whenever he can be on a sunny day :)

Some 'uppy eared' white Rabbits may be at risk of sunburn on the tips of their ears and the bridge of their nose where there is little fur cover. Lops ears are, well, 'lopped' so very little fur free skin has lengthy exposure to the sun. However, it is always important to provide plenty of adequate shade and to actively prevent a 'sun worshipping' Rabbit from basking in direct summer sunshine during the middle of the day. Over heating happens rapidly and as you have noted Heat Stroke is frequently fatal.

White rabbits are definitely at risk of sunburn - the ones with up ears. It's not practical to put sun protection on their ears and nose (the most susceptible bits of them) so you have to provide them with shade.

If they are sun worshippers, you'll have to bring them into the shade for the sake of their poor little ears :D

I had a little nethie with white ears that loved laying in the sun like a cat. Her ears got pink and eventually a little flaking because it was peeling. So I had to move her whole cage away from the sun, felt bad because she loved laying in the sun.

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone - will keep a close eye on him during his first spring and summer in his new home with us ☺

Back