• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which Fly Strike protector

Mini-lop

Young Bun
Hi,

What protectors are people using, although our bun is clean and a house bun we still want to protect him.
His major issue is he hates going on his back and does not go into a trance!

So need something that can be done quickly, was looking at the johnson one but seems to need repeating weekly during the summer.
What does everyone use?

Hi,

What protectors are people using, although our bun is clean and a house bun we still want to protect him.

So need something that can be done quickly, was looking at the johnson one but seems to need repeating weekly during the summer.
What does everyone use?

I don't use any protection at all, but I do inspect the buns twice daily in all relevant areas!

Trancing has been shown to be very stressful for a bunny so he knows what's good for him :)

Hi,

What does everyone use?

IMO it is un-neccessary to use nasty chemicals such as Fly Strike protectors on a Rabbit unless it is absolutely essential. If the Rabbit is housed in a clean environment is checked all over at least twice a day and Fly repellents are used in the environment-eg Fly Netting, Fly Strips, Citronella- then I would not use any protector. Rabbits considered to be at higher risk are those who are obese and therefore less able to keep their rear end clean, those with urinary incontinence or an open wound. And of course those Rabbits who are kept in less than clean accommodation.

I have cared for over 120 Rabbits in the last 18 years, many with health problems, injuries or disabilities. I have never yet used a Fly Strike protector, neither have I had a case of Fly Strike. I am not saying I would never use a protector, but as previously mentioned they all contain really nasty chemicals that I would only want to apply to a Rabbit if there were no alternative.

I think the brand of protector many people use is Rearguard

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Novartis_Rearguard_for_Rabbits/c18339/

Here is some info' as to why 'trancing' is not a good idea

http://rabbitwelfare.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/tonic-immobility.html

Last edited:
If you really need to use a treatment to prevent against fly strike, Rearguard is the obvious one - but is expensive, quite difficult to apply and needs to be re-applied if the animal gets wet.

F10 is another option. Cheaper, and easier to apply, but also needs re-applying if the animal gets wet. Also toxic to cats.
http://www.mah-shop.co.uk/germicidal-wound-spray-with-insecticide---100ml-169-p.asp

I have used F10 on an outdoor rabbit with a chronic jaw abscess and associated open wounds following treatment. She became a fly magnet and I had no other choice with her situation. Rearguard is only used around the tail area - my vet would not allow me to use it around her face. F10 was more appropriate and kept her safe.

Normally, it should not be necessary (or advisable) to use this type of insecticide. Good hygiene and daily inspection are better ways of protecting your rabbits.

If you really need to use a treatment to prevent against fly strike, Rearguard is the obvious one - but is expensive, quite difficult to apply and needs to be re-applied if the animal gets wet.

F10 is another option. Cheaper, and easier to apply, but also needs re-applying if the animal gets wet. Also toxic to cats.
http://www.mah-shop.co.uk/germicidal-wound-spray-with-insecticide---100ml-169-p.asp

I have used F10 on an outdoor rabbit with a chronic jaw abscess and associated open wounds following treatment. She became a fly magnet and I had no other choice with her situation. Rearguard is only used around the tail area - my vet would not allow me to use it around her face. F10 was more appropriate and kept her safe.

Normally, it should not be necessary (or advisable) to use this type of insecticide. Good hygiene and daily inspection are better ways of protecting your rabbits.

Thank you Shimmer, that's really good to know :thumb:

Thanks for that. Will try some of the recommendations.
We check as much as possible but he is a strong little fella who does not being picked up much.

On things like citronella are they safe in the atmosphere for rabbits or are any of the following as I am interested in this tin method of keeping the away?
Lavender oil - lavender is considered to be particularly effective against flies. It has many other household uses as well. [1]
Citronella oil - this ingredient is commonly used in candles meant to keep flies and other bugs away.
Eucalyptus oil - another great essential oil you can use around the house for all types of purposes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Natural-Outdoor-Fly-Repellent-with-Essential-Oils

It sounds as if you are over worrying. I have 80 rabbits here and hardkly any flies in the summer as everything is kept clean. If you clean your rabbit's hutch, litter tray etc out once a day you should get no flies to worry you and if your rabbit gets messy at the rear end then it is his diet which needs modifying. :thumb:

Can I ask a (stupid?) question, when we talk about fly strike in rabbits is it a particular fly? I ask because every now and then we have really tiny flies that appear (I think they're fruit flies). Do these pose a threat as well as the more traditional blue bottle fly? Thanks

Can I ask a (stupid?) question, when we talk about fly strike in rabbits is it a particular fly? I ask because every now and then we have really tiny flies that appear (I think they're fruit flies). Do these pose a threat as well as the more traditional blue bottle fly? Thanks

Nope. I frequently get infestations of fruit flies (comes with the climate) and they're no concern. They like organic matter, particularly fruit, while bottle flies are flesh eaters.

Nope. I frequently get infestations of fruit flies (comes with the climate) and they're no concern. They like organic matter, particularly fruit, while bottle flies are flesh eaters.
Thank you, that's what I hoped but thought I'd better check :thumb:

I have a fly strike protector but only because I have had a rabbit in the past who had it (he was elderly and arthritic).
I don't use it regularly on my young bunnies though. I use F10 - personally I think it's the best one. It can be used on wounds so it's the one of choice at the vets I work at.

There is no stupid question :thumb:

As William has said, it's the bluebottles or greenbottles who lay their eggs and the maggots eat the flesh when they hatch out.
Replusive, yuk :shock:

It sounds as if you are over worrying. I have 80 rabbits here and hardkly any flies in the summer as everything is kept clean. If you clean your rabbit's hutch, litter tray etc out once a day you should get no flies to worry you and if your rabbit gets messy at the rear end then it is his diet which needs modifying. :thumb:

I think you are right.

I do need one bit of help though, we check is bum by looking but he is a pain to hold.
If he did become dirty can anyone suggest a good way of holding a rabbit who just dose not like being held?
We have tried towel over the head to calm him down, wrapping him in a towel, he just struggles free. He is the Houdini of rabbits.

I think you are right.

I do need one bit of help though, we check is bum by looking but he is a pain to hold.
If he did become dirty can anyone suggest a good way of holding a rabbit who just dose not like being held?
We have tried towel over the head to calm him down, wrapping him in a towel, he just struggles free. He is the Houdini of rabbits.

I think you are going to have to examine him whilst both of you are on the floor. Having him in a small top opening Pet Carrier may work, so he cannot run away or back away.

How old is he and is he neutered yet ? If I am right in thinking he is still just a baby you do really need to try to persevere with getting him used to being handled as it will make life a lot less stressful for both of you in the future. Most Rabbits dont 'like' being picked up, but will tolerate it if they learn to trust their regular handler. It is important that the handler is confident in their approach. If you show hesitance and nervousness yourself then your Rabbit will pick up on this and become more anxious too :)

I think you are right.

Sometimes people don't use a towel big enough or wrap it tightly enough. To be honest I think the only way to examine a rabbit for maggots is to pick them up. You need to look very carefully among the folds of skin and fur, and you won't see that unless you look closely.

It's an art - one person restraining a rabbit with firmness and the other examining - but it can be achieved. Hold firmly but not too tightly. Your rabbit will gain confidence in you and over time I find they struggle less and less because they know you aren't going to hurt them. And anyway they get a treat afterwards :D

I think you are going to have to examine him whilst both of you are on the floor. Having him in a small top opening Pet Carrier may work, so he cannot run away or back away.

How old is he and is he neutered yet ? If I am right in thinking he is still just a baby you do really need to try to persevere with getting him used to being handled as it will make life a lot less stressful for both of you in the future. Most Rabbits dont 'like' being picked up, but will tolerate it if they learn to trust their regular handler. It is important that the handler is confident in their approach. If you show hesitance and nervousness yourself then your Rabbit will pick up on this and become more anxious too :)

He is about 6 months.
He is OK being picked up, but for fuss no fiddling near his rear end. :)

Back