• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is 12 weeks to young

Rita

Warren Scout
just been on another forum and the lady said her bunny was going in tomorrow to be neutered. is 12 weeks to young.
my vets said they have to be 4 months before he would neuter him.
has anyone else had their bunny done at a young age and was the outcome good.

just been on another forum and the lady said her bunny was going in tomorrow to be neutered. is 12 weeks to young.

Some Bucks can be fully mature at 12 weeks. If he is healthy, a good weight (more than 1kg) and in the care of a Rabbit Savvy Vet he should be fine. A Castrate is a relatively minor procedure. It is really down to the discretion of the Vet as to the minimum age to carry out a castration. I would probably want to wait til about 14-16 weeks, but that is just my opinion and I am not a Vet !

My little man went in at 4 months, as I was told that sometimes 12 weeks is a little young to be having anaesthetic, but I am guessing if they are healthy and the vet is happy too.. this is fine! :)

i had elmo and his first partner both done at about 13/14 weeks (i can't remember exactly!) and i realise thats a little controversial but it meant they didn't have to be separated and they both coped just fine. the recovery was actually really short and i know that studies have shown that kittens recover from castration much quicker when they are younger so i wouldnt say it was a problem - so long as the vet is confident and capable

Technically if his testicles have descended and he's a good weight, then 12 weeks isn't too young. However, unless there's a pressing need to neuter early, I go by the Rabbit Welfare Association guidelines which say most vets wait until 4/5 months. This is because they are better able to deal with the anaesthetic by this age.

Also remember that he will be fertile up to four weeks after castration :D

My vet who neuters rabbits every day at his rabbit clinic, doesn't neuter under 5 months. The reason being that the younger you neuter the more risk is involved. You could have them done and they will be absolutely fine, but how would you feel if one was fine and one wasn't?

Personally, I don't like to take any unnecessary risks with my buns, because if something did go wrong, I would find it very hard to deal with.

Back