• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way to clean eyes?

SJH

Warren Veteran
As the title really.

Hector has a URTI at the moment. He has antibiotic eye drops together with baytril.

The eye drops seem to be encouraging white stuff to come out of his eyes and into his lovely eye lashes. I don't want to hurt him but it doesn't come off in the normal way by just stroking his head.

Any best ways to help him?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just gently bathe the eyes using a cosmetic cotton wool pad moistened in cooled boiled water. If you massage around the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) you may find plugs of pus come out. Better out than in !!

Thanks for that. Poor thing looks quite forlorn. Anything which helps get any gunk out must be good!!

His poor eyes are quite bloodshot. Is this normal with an infection or could he be reacting to the tiacil?

His poor eyes are quite bloodshot. Is this normal with an infection or could he be reacting to the tiacil?

I haven't known a reaction to Tiacil to go that way. Bloodshot is normal with an infection ..... poor boy.
Hope he feels better tomorrow xx

The eyes can become bloodshot when there is an infection. But occasionally a Rabbit can have an adverse reaction to Tiacil. A couple of my Rabbits did and therefore they cannot have it. I have found Fucithalmic to be more 'gentle'. If you think your Rabbit may be reacting to Tiacil you need to let the Vet know and he/she will probably prescribe an alternative :)

Thank you. I'll keep a close watch on it and see. :)

I've found that Scrappy tends to be more cooperative when I've needed to bathe her eye if I gently give her a nose rub with one hand and gently bathe her eye with the other at the same time. Might help if Hector's not too keen :)

I've found that Scrappy tends to be more cooperative when I've needed to bathe her eye if I gently give her a nose rub with one hand and gently bathe her eye with the other at the same time. Might help if Hector's not too keen :)

Thank you. He wasn't too keen but a little nose rub and tickle behind the ears did give me a small window of opportunity. Honestly, he is usually such a cuddle-bun but I suspect he just doesn't feel very well. My poor boy. :cry:

Back