• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lethargic bunny

KatieMarie

New Kit
Hello, yesterday morning I noticed one of my rabbits was off his food and a bit lethargic. I took him to the vets who checked all his vitals and he was fine so we got some recovery mix which did get him eating again. Later on yesterday evening he still wasn't himself and was just stretched out (he was eating, drinking, pooping and urinating), so I took him back to the vets and they kept him in overnight for observation and give him some fluids. He's been discharged this morning as he was again eating, drinking, pooping and urinating and the vet said he was hopping around. As soon as I've got him home, he still doesn't seem himself and went straight into the dark bit of his hutch and stretched out. The vets (not my usual vet as it was bank holiday) have given him the all clear twice now, am I over-thinking things or has anybody had anything like this before?
Thanks, Katie

Hello, yesterday morning I noticed one of my rabbits was off his food and a bit lethargic. I took him to the vets who checked all his vitals and he was fine so we got some recovery mix which did get him eating again. Later on yesterday evening he still wasn't himself and was just stretched out (he was eating, drinking, pooping and urinating), so I took him back to the vets and they kept him in overnight for observation and give him some fluids. He's been discharged this morning as he was again eating, drinking, pooping and urinating and the vet said he was hopping around. As soon as I've got him home, he still doesn't seem himself and went straight into the dark bit of his hutch and stretched out. The vets (not my usual vet as it was bank holiday) have given him the all clear twice now, am I over-thinking things or has anybody had anything like this before?
Thanks, Katie

From what you say you have more than one rabbit. Are you having any similar problems with any of the others? Have your rabbits been vaccinated?

Welcome to the Forum by the way :wave:

Hello, I've got 2 who do live outdoors but within a shed. They're both vaccinated and the other one has been fine. He's started to perk up a bit, they're my first pets as adults so I might just be over-thinking everything! ��

Hello, I've got 2 who do live outdoors but within a shed. They're both vaccinated and the other one has been fine. He's started to perk up a bit, they're my first pets as adults so I might just be over-thinking everything! ��

So the two are bonded ? Is it a stable relationship, or is one Rabbit very 'bossy' ? I ask as I am wondering if the problem is behavioural/stress related rather that a physical problem/illness.

It's good to hear that he appears to be brighter now. Has he eaten and poo'd since returning home ?

It does take a bit of time to get used to rabbits and their habits :D

Keep an eye on them both and I'm sure you'll do fine :thumb:

Yes they are a bonded pair, both neutered/spayed and been incredibly loved up for about 5/6 months now. Neither are really bossy and whilst he has been unwell she was 'mothering' him as well as me lol! He now seems to be back to about 95% so I'm over the moon with that! I'm completely used to their habits which is why I'm glad I ignored the vets first all clear and took him back, he was upright and active with the vet but as soon as he got home he looked half dead, the fluids obviously did him the world of good as he's a different boy today! ��

Yes they are a bonded pair, both neutered/spayed and been incredibly loved up for about 5/6 months now. Neither are really bossy and whilst he has been unwell she was 'mothering' him as well as me lol! He now seems to be back to about 95% so I'm over the moon with that! I'm completely used to their habits which is why I'm glad I ignored the vets first all clear and took him back, he was upright and active with the vet but as soon as he got home he looked half dead, the fluids obviously did him the world of good as he's a different boy today! ��

A good vet is one who appreciates that what they see is only a snapshot of the whole picture. They obviously have loads of expertise, but if they don't listen to the client they won't be able to apply it to it's best advantage.

A good client is one that doesn't wholly rely on his/her vet's judgement but adds what they also know into the mix ! ;)

The stress induced adrenalin surge that occurs in a Rabbit when at the Vets can mask quite a lot. So the fact that you know your Rabbit well meant you were able to realise that and know that he definitely was not 'right'. I'm glad he seems to be almost back to normal now.

Back