• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I never realised it would be this hard

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
To watch them all die at the same time. Age was never on our side but Luck and timing have been extremely unfair :-(

These are my friends and family. It's like watching a slow motion car crash.

I haven't reached this point yet - mine are seven and a half (they were eight and a half last year but I found evidence of my miscalculation!), but with four born within a fortnight of each other, I am sure it will come.

Sending you gentle hugs. I would imagine Jane can identify fairly well, after all she's been through over the last couple of years.

It's not the same because they're with me for a lot less time, but that's how I felt with my mice when I had six from litters born around the same time. It was like I never had time to recover from one before another had gone. Daily care became a real strain. :(

I hope you're coping ok. Talk if you need to, it's what we're all here for x

Sending ((((((hugs)))))) I wish love could heal them, they'd live forever.
One is hard enough, but many at once...I empathize that it is soul rending. Thinking of you and sending you all the support I can muster. xxxx

I empathise, I lost 11 Rabbits in 3 months ,all unrelated losses, some expected due to age/chronic illness, but each one was part of my only family.

I just wish there were words to make the situation hurt less

There are no words

:cry:

Thanks guys. Jane, I knew you would be able to relate for sure. BattleKat, it's not about length of time really, it's more about feelings, so I can entirely see that was a similar situation.

Each day I'm coming down wondering who will be dead or dying. I have three pairs outside- one of each pair are at death's door, plus those inside who are too (which is probably 3 of them). It's just really hard, and I'm having to remind myself they are all individuals and deserve the best, rather than 'well, they're all dying anyway' (that is obviously a defence mechanism, but it makes me feel guilty for it).

Thanks guys. Jane, I knew you would be able to relate for sure. BattleKat, it's not about length of time really, it's more about feelings, so I can entirely see that was a similar situation.

Each day I'm coming down wondering who will be dead or dying. I have three pairs outside- one of each pair are at death's door, plus those inside who are too (which is probably 3 of them). It's just really hard, and I'm having to remind myself they are all individuals and deserve the best, rather than 'well, they're all dying anyway' (that is obviously a defence mechanism, but it makes me feel guilty for it).

Indeed it is a 'defence mechanism'. When I had that horrendous run of losses I actually blurted out to C 'they may aswell all die now, just to get it over with'. I felt utterly wretched for even thinking it, let alone saying it.

I think we all do what we have to do to try to 'cope'. I know I have closed down hugely since Morse died. I have had subsequent losses and I have 11 more to loose. But I dont seem to be able to grieve any more. I just feel numb. That makes me feel guilty too ! So I totally relate to how on one level you are trying to distance yourself from the individual Rabbits.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on about 'me'. Very selfish.

How horrible. I don't know what to say except the old clichés 'they were so lucky to have you' and 'they lived to a good age and couldn't have been more spoilt', which are true, but I don't know, it's impossible to make everything better again. Sending hugs anyway...

Indeed it is a 'defence mechanism'. When I had that horrendous run of losses I actually blurted out to C 'they may aswell all die now, just to get it over with'. I felt utterly wretched for even thinking it, let alone saying it.

I think we all do what we have to do to try to 'cope'. I know I have closed down hugely since Morse died. I have had subsequent losses and I have 11 more to loose. But I dont seem to be able to grieve any more. I just feel numb. That makes me feel guilty too ! So I totally relate to how on one level you are trying to distance yourself from the individual Rabbits.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on about 'me'. Very selfish.

Sometimes going on about yourself is really helpful to the other person, it helps them relate. :)

Sky-O, can't offer much help other than to repeat what everyone else has said. Know that you've brought great joy to their lives.

Sky o...you said it in one...friends and family..its hard...but try and take solace in the fact that you gave them a good life....god bless

It is hard:( We had an awful run last October and lost twelve in less than three weeks. It felt so horrible, I was numb, and usually I cope quite well as I know I have given them a good life which is the important thing. But knowing that doesn't stop you feeling helpless and overwelmed while it is happening. Making the final decision is horrible when you have to do it for one, but it more than doubles for each extra I feel. But death is part of life and time moves on. We have been able to take in twelve rabbits this spring that would have faced very different uncertain futures if we hadn't had those spaces to give them. As long as we take in rabbits we will also come to lose them. We still have more than 20 rabbits over eight. For the moment none of them look to be at deaths door. But that can and inevitably will change. The bad patches come, but so do the good ones, the opportunities to help new rabbits makes up for the hurt that losing the old ones causes. The happy new faces out there, as well as the happy lives we enabled the ones we lost to have make it worth it. For now, grit your teeth and do your best. We know they are worth it.

Thanks guys. It's so sad that so many people can empathise with this. Come home today after another bunny diagnosed with thymoma.

Jane, I value your words and your personal experience- so if you perceive as selfish, that's ok, but it certainly wasn't a negative selfish. x

:cry: we have had that with friends and family and it has been tough, very tough. My animals have been different ages so haven't had to face that, although I only had two bunnies when I joined RU and lost them both in the same year. I am getting to the point I can't face anything or anyone dying and how I would cope. I worry about Mr bennett because he is 6 now, not that old, but he is the one that has issues.

Jane I understand why you said that, get all the pain over with, rather than one here and one there, that torments us. No more animals, I cannot bear the pain.

Oh hun I think I have missed a lot, I don't come on here much anymore.
I am so sorry to hear you have been having a really rough time.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you're going through this Sky. I know I'll be in pieces when the time comes here. Came across this on Cottontails Rescue site earlier today. It had me in tears just reading it. Perhaps it can offer some solace for you. x

From Cottontails Rescue site:

WHEN THE END DRAWS NEAR …
Most rabbits live their life to the full and have many years of fun and enjoyment, but even for the healthiest bunny there comes a time when you will need to say goodbye. I read the following poem when I was waiting to see the vet to have one of my rabbits put to sleep, and the poem moved me very much. I would like to share it with you.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.

Don’t let your grief then stay your hand.

For this day, more than all the rest,

Your love for me must stand the test.

We’ve had so many happy years.

What is to come can hold no fears.

You’d not want me to suffer so;

The time has come — please let me go.

Take me where my need they’ll tend,

And please stay with me till the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see

The kindness that you did for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I’ve been saved.

Please do not grieve — it must be you

Who had this painful thing to do.

We’ve been so close, we two, these years;

Don’t let your heart hold back its tears.

— Anonymous —

Last edited:
Just came on to try and find information on how a thymoma progresses and found this post - I am so very sorry Sky-O and I cam empathise also :cry:

Back