• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit- Old rabbit problem

Percybunny

New Kit
Hi, We got Sweetcorn on Thursday afternoon so she is still very new too us. She's a neutered female from a rescue centre. We got her to be a friend to our neutered buck.
Currently as advised by the rescue place they are separate but next too each other, Ive done this by splitting the room Percy (old bunny) lives in into two with a wire divider.
Percy lives with his cage door permanently open and rarely go's in it, just too drink and use his litter tray. He sleeps, eats etc in the room. Since Sweetcorns arrival he's totally stopped using his litter tray and wee's and poo's all over the place. Why? Im guessing some kind of territory marking but will it stop?! Realistically its not going to work having him loose 24/7 if he cant use a litter tray!

Yes he's just marking his territory, once they're bonded he will go back to using his litter tray.

He will go back to his litter tray it might take a few weeks tho :shock: baby wipes are good for carpet pee :thumb: removes stains and smell too

Rosie was 24/7 free in the house and perfectly clean other than the odd poop when she was feeling lazy :oops: since I got and bonded her with Pie (neutered female) I have pee in a couple of spots from Pie mainly where Rosie used to sit :roll: they are no longer 24/7 as Pie is trouble :evil: :lol: but when out I have few poops now only from Pie but Rosie is once again perfectly clean and tidy:thumb:

I'm sure Pie will get there but for now the baby wipes are close to hand in case of pee accidents ;)

It's been 4 weeks since I bonded them

Hi, We got Sweetcorn on Thursday afternoon so she is still very new too us. She's a neutered female from a rescue centre. We got her to be a friend to our neutered buck.
Currently as advised by the rescue place they are separate but next too each other, Ive done this by splitting the room Percy (old bunny) lives in into two with a wire divider.
Percy lives with his cage door permanently open and rarely go's in it, just too drink and use his litter tray. He sleeps, eats etc in the room. Since Sweetcorns arrival he's totally stopped using his litter tray and wee's and poo's all over the place. Why? Im guessing some kind of territory marking but will it stop?! Realistically its not going to work having him loose 24/7 if he cant use a litter tray!

Yes, the "hundreds of poos" time <sigh>. When do you intend to bond them? Once they are together the problem should ease up. May not clear up totally or immediately, but be a thousand times better than now ......

Good luck :thumb:

Well that's a relief! I've never seen so much poo!!
I may try introducing them this evening as I am home early and should have 5 minutes to myself!
We are taking things slowly as she was very stressed and upset and had also been quite ill at the shelter and I wanted her to calm and settle first, I've not even spent much time with them as the centre staff said she'd been upset with people coming in and out all the time so I have literally let her chill out.
I think I'll bring them both into the sitting room where Percy doesn't usually go so it's completely neutral?
Wish me luck&#55357;&#56883;

Well that's a relief! I've never seen so much poo!!
I may try introducing them this evening as I am home early and should have 5 minutes to myself!
We are taking things slowly as she was very stressed and upset and had also been quite ill at the shelter and I wanted her to calm and settle first, I've not even spent much time with them as the centre staff said she'd been upset with people coming in and out all the time so I have literally let her chill out.
I think I'll bring them both into the sitting room where Percy doesn't usually go so it's completely neutral?
Wish me luck��

To be fair, if you're gong to introduce them with a view to them forming a permanent bond, it needs to be a smallish area on completely neutral territory. Preferably also where you can watch them around the clock (give up a weekend to doing it in one go - I don't find the '5 mins' here and there beneficial long term)

Lastly, please make sure both bunnies are totally healthy and recovered from anything that was previously bothering them. Bonding is stressful. For you and them. You don't want to make matters worse!

Having said all that, good luck however you choose to pursue it :thumb:

Back