• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving meds!! Help please?!

SJH

Warren Veteran
Ok, so Hector had very subtle signs of being slightly off colour Thursday and one solitary sneeze later, off to the vet.

A URTI has been diagnosed. He is running a temperature and has slightly runny (runnier than normal with white not clear tears) eyes. Eye drops and 10 days of Baytrill 6 ml per day prescribed.

So, this morning, I thought I had it cracked. 1.5ml on broken up Shreddies and pellets wrapped in a plantain leaf with 1.5 ml on a stick of celery. The other 3 ml is presenting a problem.

There is zero chance of a syringe to the mouth.

He'll eat drugs mixed with banana and I will get one tomorrow but he simply can't have enough banana to disguise 6 ml.

The shreddie thing is not bad but, again, I can't stuff him full of too many.

Anything else drugs "mix" well with?

Hector's diet is fairly limited as it is to pellets and forage (mainly dry at the moment).

Any other inspiration would be gratefully received. He's even buried his head in his beanbag to avoid the latest bit of drug-laced celery..... :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Weetabix absorbs it - mashed banana on top disguises the taste. 6 ml is a lot though!

Ooh, weetabix is a good idea!

6 ml is a silly amount! I've just threatened him with 10 car journeys to the vet for injections over the next week. He didn't seem to take any notice.... :lol:

Aww poor hector... How about putting some into mushed up pellets, add abit of water first making it into a paste & adding the meds?!

Or I did use a small piece of wholemeal toast,

Hope he feels better soon xxx

Does he eat Fibafirst or crunchies? Haven't tried it myself, but maybe putting some on those might help? I know Alfrid goes mad for Fibafirst and he gets more than one stick a day, so if hector can/would eat them they might be worth a try?

Aww poor hector... How about putting some into mushed up pellets, add abit of water first making it into a paste & adding the meds?!

Or I did use a small piece of wholemeal toast,

Hope he feels better soon xxx

Thank you. I used to use toast with my old bun but Mr fussy-pants Hector is not keen on that idea :roll:

Does he eat Fibafirst or crunchies? Haven't tried it myself, but maybe putting some on those might help? I know Alfrid goes mad for Fibafirst and he gets more than one stick a day, so if hector can/would eat them they might be worth a try?

Thank you. He will eat fibafirst sometimes but it's not his favourite. I'll give one a try. I might wrap a drug-laced one in a leaf and see what happens!!

You could be a bit naughty and draw the meds up into the syringe, and then draw a bit of Ella's Kitchen lovely organic puree into the end of the syringe that bunny's going to get near his mouth. Then it seems like it's something nice going in until the meds follow .....

Am I clutching at straws here? :lol:

You could be a bit naughty and draw the meds up into the syringe, and then draw a bit of Ella's Kitchen lovely organic puree into the end of the syringe that bunny's going to get near his mouth. Then it seems like it's something nice going in until the meds follow .....

Am I clutching at straws here? :lol:

Thank you! I'll give it a go. I think he will suss it after, probably, 1ml but 1ml is better than 0ml!!

I think it is the only way forwards, each ml in a different way and one at a time.... Thankfully I'm not working today/tomorrow and the rest of the week is relatively quiet!

Back