• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help!

Valdularo

New Kit
Hello,

This is my family rabbit that I have returned home to today for Easter. He had a lump on his skin around 6-8 mon.t hrs ago and it has recently turned out to look like this.

5pJJqK8

My mother says she took him to the vet recently, but I don't believe her. He apparently cut himself in the last couple of days and it now looks like this. Apparently the vet said it was a tumour and that they could remove it but it would remove his leg, and that the procedure could kill him. He's a 9 year old rabbit and I really need some advice if this is hurting him or if I can do anything.

Thank you.

Hello,

This is my family rabbit that I have returned home to today for Easter. He had a lump on his skin around 6-8 mon.t hrs ago and it has recently turned out to look like this.

5pJJqK8

My mother says she took him to the vet recently, but I don't believe her. He apparently cut himself in the last couple of days and it now looks like this. Apparently the vet said it was a tumour and that they could remove it but it would remove his leg, and that the procedure could kill him. He's a 9 year old rabbit and I really need some advice if this is hurting him or if I can do anything.

Thank you.

I am afraid the photo is not showing ?

Thanks T, no idea how you did that !!

Hello,

5pJJqK8

Thank you.

There is too much fur covering the wound for me to see it clearly, but I suspect it is an abscess which may have burst. It certainly needs cleaning up at the very least. Can you take him to a Vet yourself ?

Here is the pic,
eb1ed7087563321e300551c9def8ed5f.jpg

Wow this is very clever of you to show the photo!

I can't really see enough with the fur covering. I expect the vet would need to carefully trim the fur down to the skin (or pull the fur aside in first instance) to have a look. It could well be an injury, but I am not sure why the vet feels he would have to remove the leg?

As Kavanne says, it's possible for you/us to put up a post asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area, which would get the ball rolling.

Does your bunny seem in pain now? Is he still eating?

Back