• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

11 year old with possible e.c

isla

Mama Doe
Hi, been a long time since I've been on here!
My 11 year old female has possibly come down with e.c and I have concerns about our tip to the vet this afternoon due to her age and the stress it will cause. I'm going to have a chat with the vet about if they could just give me the drugs to treat it without actually seeing her ( as they have done many times for my male and his GI stasis bouts he gets whenever he moults), but I wouldn't mind a bit of advice on if it sounds like ec?
She was fine yesterday morning at 5am, I got home from work and let them out of the run at 3pm, after half hour I noticed that neither bun had come out of the run so I went to wake the up (that's quite normal for them tho). At about 7 ish I noticed abbey was a bit quite, so I went to offer her some broccoli, which she snatched out of my hand. 8 pm, I noticed she hasn't moved at all for a while, I gave her some warm water, which she had ( so I know she's eating and drinking) then got on the phone to the emergency vet. They said to give her some of my males painkiller (not metacam, the new one but I've forgotten what its called - been a long night!) And see how she is in the morning. This morning she seems a bit reluctant to eat, is still drinking and going to the toilet. Basically she is a little bit quite and a little bit wobbly when she first starts to hop, she has no issues with her eyes, ears or mouth and isn't tilting her head at all. She's using all four paws normally too, and is cleaning herself as normal.
So... Ec? Or something different?

Hi, been a long time since I've been on here!
My 11 year old female has possibly come down with e.c and I have concerns about our tip to the vet this afternoon due to her age and the stress it will cause. I'm going to have a chat with the vet about if they could just give me the drugs to treat it without actually seeing her ( as they have done many times for my male and his GI stasis bouts he gets whenever he moults), but I wouldn't mind a bit of advice on if it sounds like ec?
She was fine yesterday morning at 5am, I got home from work and let them out of the run at 3pm, after half hour I noticed that neither bun had come out of the run so I went to wake the up (that's quite normal for them tho). At about 7 ish I noticed abbey was a bit quite, so I went to offer her some broccoli, which she snatched out of my hand. 8 pm, I noticed she hasn't moved at all for a while, I gave her some warm water, which she had ( so I know she's eating and drinking) then got on the phone to the emergency vet. They said to give her some of my males painkiller (not metacam, the new one but I've forgotten what its called - been a long night!) And see how she is in the morning. This morning she seems a bit reluctant to eat, is still drinking and going to the toilet. Basically she is a little bit quite and a little bit wobbly when she first starts to hop, she has no issues with her eyes, ears or mouth and isn't tilting her head at all. She's using all four paws normally too, and is cleaning herself as normal.
So... Ec? Or something different?

I think she does need to be fully examined by a Vet. It's the only way to do a full neurological assessment. Her reluctance to move may be musculoskelatal related as opposed to a neurological issue. Getting her on the correct treatment is obviously important hence a correct diagnosis is essential.

Nice to 'see' you again, but I'm sorry it's because you have a poorly Rabbit X

Nice to see you again too :D
I've made an appointment for 4pm, its the earliest me and the vet can do. I'm so worried about the journey to the vets stressing both rabbits out, they are otherwise very healthy rabbits, but at their ages surely the stress could kill them?
I'm a lot more worried about the trip to the vets, rather that what's actually up with abbey.

Nice to see you again too :D
I've made an appointment for 4pm, its the earliest me and the vet can do. I'm so worried about the journey to the vets stressing both rabbits out, they are otherwise very healthy rabbits, but at their ages surely the stress could kill them?
I'm a lot more worried about the trip to the vets, rather that what's actually up with abbey.

I totally understand. I guess the Vet is unable to do home visits ? I realise this may mean an even bigger Vet Bill. Not many of us have a bottomless pit of spare funds. I know I dont.

Hopefully the two Rabbits will take comfort from each other during the journey. As Abbey is a bit unsteady on her feet I would try to use the smallest pet carrier possible. Even if it means both Rabbits have to remain in exactly the same position during the journey. If there is too much room Abbey may get in a bit more of a panic if she starts to wobble. I'd cover the front of the carrier over too, so it is as dark as possible inside but that there will still be sufficient ventilation. Lack of visual stimuli can have a calming effect.

Good luck xx

I think the poor vet is having a bit of a busy day, I wanted to get there for 3 but he's busy until 4 and is going to phone me if he's any more delayed - so I didn't even ask about a home visit. Which I would have preferred. I had to put abbey in the pet carrier lasdt night to get her back in the run, as she was a little unsure of where she was going and I didn't want to make her go in using my normal methods ( nothing mean, but me and abbey have a nightly battle over when it is bed time), and she didn't seem too concerned by it.
I'll make sure to use my smaller pet carrier, and I suppose its just a case of hoping for the best. They have been to the vets before, but not for many years. Im not worried about the cost, as in the 10 years I've had abbey she's cost be nothing apart from her food, my male on the other hand needs treatment pretty much every time he moults. I'm just hoping she'll be ok

I think the poor vet is having a bit of a busy day, I wanted to get there for 3 but he's busy until 4 and is going to phone me if he's any more delayed - so I didn't even ask about a home visit. Which I would have preferred. I had to put abbey in the pet carrier lasdt night to get her back in the run, as she was a little unsure of where she was going and I didn't want to make her go in using my normal methods ( nothing mean, but me and abbey have a nightly battle over when it is bed time), and she didn't seem too concerned by it.
I'll make sure to use my smaller pet carrier, and I suppose its just a case of hoping for the best. They have been to the vets before, but not for many years. Im not worried about the cost, as in the 10 years I've had abbey she's cost be nothing apart from her food, my male on the other hand needs treatment pretty much every time he moults. I'm just hoping she'll be ok

Sending loads of calming vibes for all of you. Abbey sounds to have been a very robust Rabbit, so I am sure that will go in her favour.

I hope you have a smooth journey to and from the vets. It sounds like your vet knows what he's doing, which is an enormous blessing and relief. It's odd how some rabbits are genetically 'well' for most of their lives, and others have a plethora of problems.

Sending loads of vibes for this afternoon Isla xxx

Thank you both. I've just checked on her, and she's still asleep in the sunshine - so at least she's having a good day so far

We are back now, she's got a good cocktail of drugs and doesn't like me very much for trying to give them to her. She's being treated for e.c and an infection - though these are just in case as the vet cannot find strong evidence of either, so is treating for both, and has given more painkillers and xantac, as a just in case. He also found a cataract in her eye, but said that at her age its to be expected, and as its not bothering her is best ignored, which I agree with. Otherwise she's healthy, just going to be wobbly for a few more days until hopefully one of the drugs will kick in.

We are back now, she's got a good cocktail of drugs and doesn't like me very much for trying to give them to her. She's being treated for e.c and an infection - though these are just in case as the vet cannot find strong evidence of either, so is treating for both, and has given more painkillers and xantac, as a just in case. He also found a cataract in her eye, but said that at her age its to be expected, and as its not bothering her is best ignored, which I agree with. Otherwise she's healthy, just going to be wobbly for a few more days until hopefully one of the drugs will kick in.

Great that the Vet covered all bases. I hope that Abbey will respond to treatment and soon become less wobbly. She is clearly a very sturdy Rabbit !

I'm so glad you were able to keep the appointment. It's always so difficult to diagnose between E.C./ a stroke/ ear infection ... so at least for the foreseeable Abbey is well covered. I really hope she gets shot of her wobbles soon though - that would be good

Thank you both again, hopefully she'll be feeling better soon. I'm so used to frank being the poorly one that it really did worry me to see abbey unwell. I've had her nearly 10 years, and never had any problems with her, except a little grumpyness. I'm not sure how long it takes for all these medicines to kick in, but hopefully there'll be some improvement by tomorrow. I've still got 1ml of one medicine to get down her tonight, but im letting her calm down a bit now, I think she has had enough for now and wants to be left alone, poor girly!

Thanks, I've managed to get the last bit of today's medicine down her by putting it in a bit of banana - not a brilliant idea, but its all she's eating at the moment, so needs must I suppose. She's turning her nose up at all food now, apart from banana and grapes. She usually has a good diet, with lots of veg, hay and grass so I don't think this sudden fruit binge is going to be much good for her, but at least she's eating something and getting the meds she needs. Does anyone have any other tips for getting medicine into her? She'll reluctantly take the nicer tasting ones from the syringe, but I don't think she's getting the full dose.

Thanks, I've managed to get the last bit of today's medicine down her by putting it in a bit of banana - not a brilliant idea, but its all she's eating at the moment, so needs must I suppose. She's turning her nose up at all food now, apart from banana and grapes. She usually has a good diet, with lots of veg, hay and grass so I don't think this sudden fruit binge is going to be much good for her, but at least she's eating something and getting the meds she needs. Does anyone have any other tips for getting medicine into her? She'll reluctantly take the nicer tasting ones from the syringe, but I don't think she's getting the full dose.

I tend to go with giving all oral meds by syringing them directly into the Rabbit's mouth. I am firm but not rough with handling. You could try wrapping her in a towel with just her nose poking out so she cannot struggle.

If it really is impossible to syringe the meds into her you could try putting it on a bit of shredded wheat or weetabix.

She's not struggling too much, its just that when the syringe gets near her whiskers she flinches away - totally understandable reaction, but impossible to get to her mouth. I'll try weetabix in the morning, would mixing them with mashed pellets be a good idea? Not that I can say if she'll eat it, but if she does she'll be getting a meal, some fluids and her meds.

She's not struggling too much, its just that when the syringe gets near her whiskers she flinches away - totally understandable reaction, but impossible to get to her mouth. I'll try weetabix in the morning, would mixing them with mashed pellets be a good idea? Not that I can say if she'll eat it, but if she does she'll be getting a meal, some fluids and her meds.

I think I'd want to give the meds on just a small amount of food otherwise it is unlikely she will get a full dose. I would try the syringe into mouth method if at all possible. It's obviously not much fun for the Rabbit, but it's over quickly and you can offer her a treat afterwards.

That is the drawback with giving meds on food!

I give the syringe-full directly into their mouths, and have a treat on stand-by so they have something to take the taste away straight after.

Can you get someone to help you? Wrapping her in a towel is all very well in theory, but most people don't wrap buns tightly enough and they wriggle out of it. I learned a brilliant technique from my vet which makes a bunny look like baby Jesus :lol: You always have to be patient with making sure they swallow the meds though :thumb:

Back