• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Hutch for Sanctuary Rabbit - can it be too big!!

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I have ordered a hutch for a single bun at a rescue place. I had changed the dimensions several times. Originally it was a double hutch 4 x3x 2 and then i chafed it to 6 x 2 x 2 . The builder just rang they have made a mistake ). They made it 6 x 3 deep x 2 !! They said it's like a mini shed lol. Can't wait to see it but I hope it fits the sanctuary pen !! I am terrible with measurements! !

Do the rescue know it's coming? I can't imagine they'd be displeased with it, it sounds amazing! They might end up swapping it for a pair or trio though.

No they don't know it's coming ! It's mainly a bird sanctuary. This wee bun us on his own there in a 4 x 1.5 deep by 2 feet double hutch in a 5feet x 16ft pen. This will only fit side ways. Does that sound too big or wide ?? I don't know whether to give the single bun the double hutch as he is likely to be there permanently or to give him a single storey 6 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft hutch which I am getting for two other buns who have lived separartely but side by side in those 4 ft long toberlerone shaped hutches for 7 years with no run.These 2 buns will have access to a very large run. They will be neutered once settled and hopefully bonded. They are going to a different sanctuary. I only have a certain amount of money and want to get which hutches go where correct.

I think the hutch will be too wide for such a narrow pen, so probably swap who you are giving them to. Our hutches are all six foot long and 2 and a half feet deep which is perfect for cleaning out. 3ft wide makes reaching corners difficult without climbing inside, which is hard on the floor. Also our hutches are very heavy, wider will be heavier still, and hard to manoever. But great for the rabbits.

That is a lovely thing you are doing:)

Rabbit Residence has 6x2x2, 6x3x2, 6x3x3 and 6x4x3. The only challenge with a 6ft long, 3ft deep and 2ft high hutch is getting into the back corners to clean, it's easier with the 3ft high ones as you can climb in, harder with the 2ft high one. I get muddy knees kneeling on the floor for the 6x3x2 one hehe! BUT I'm sure the bunny will love it! Being 3ft deep offers much better weather protection too.

You can stand the hutch outside the pen and attach one to the other with a tunnel sold by the Runaround people (costs about £50)

Soo confused now !! If the double hutch is too big (am gonna ask if there is a bigger pen) if i gave them the 6 x 2 single hutch do u think that is an improvement on his current double hutch is 4 x 1.5 deep x 2 ft high levels double hutch? Hutch can't be linked to run from outside unfortunately.

Back