• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am so sad. Why would parents get bunny for Easter??

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Today I stopped in a pet store in my area to get a Oxbow tunnel and a bunny safe toy for my special girl.

While I was there, I saw parents with two young boys, and a very cute lionhead dwarf mix.
When the owner told the parents that the bunnies would not be available until Monday (day after Easter), the one boy whined he wanted it for Easter.
The father said he had a bunny at Easter when he was younger.
Of course, the owner told them they could put a deposit on the bunny and pick it up Monday. The boy was set on having the bunny the owner let me pick up to see if it was a boy or girl, and the parents decided to get him the bunny.
I checked out my supplies and left.

I feel bad that I did not quickly put a deposit on the bunny the boy wanted. It pains me to think the little dwarf/lionhead bunny is going to a family with a young and even younger boy. Why was I so polite when I said how long rabbits live? What should I have said to the parents without getting into a confrontation?

Should I make sure the pet store gives owners care instructions?

I don't see anything wrong with it if the parents are prepared/researched. My parents when I was 2 or 3 wanted to get rabbits again (they'd had a flemish giant that died a year or so before) so a week or two before Easter they found a breeder and bought 3 rabbits but had the breeder keep them until Easter so that it'd be a really exciting present for me and my sisters on Easter morning.

Problem is, the majority of parents don't research first and aren't committed to taking care of them.

Hopefully those parents have researched :( I think it would be a good idea to make sure the pet store gives them instructions. Maybe there's a caresheet/pamphlet online you could print out and give to the pet store? It sounds like the pet store is at least not selling bunnies for Easter if they aren't available until Monday so maybe they want to do the right thing and would be more willing to educate new owners?

I hope you are right and their parents understand what it means to have a rabbit like yours did. You were so lucky they taught you at a young age how to be a good bunny owner.
I'll give the store a call to see if they provide a caresheet.

Last edited:
Back