• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Me Please!

Sparky9

New Kit
Hi everyone,
can someone help me please, my giant continental rabbit who is 3 months old he has got a runny eye and its a bit pinky/red. He hasn't changed, still eating and binky-ing! He has been treated for snuffles with antibiotics but now I'm starting to think that he's allergy to something. Right now he has a runny eye, I just wondered if anyone has a rabbit that allergy to something. What was the first sign, and how did you know that that was the problem?
Big help is anyone can answer, thankyou !:)

It is often the case that eye problems and 'Snuffles' are related, the two often occurring simultaneously. As it is just one eye that is causing problems an allergy to something in the atmosphere is unlikely. That would usually cause bilateral 'runny eyes'. I suspect your Rabbit has an eye infection which would require Veterinary treatment. The discharge can appear clear at first, but it often turns a milky white colour and/or a lot of pus starts to develop. Usually treatment involves the Vet checking for a blocked nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) and any signs of a corneal abrasion.A course of antibiotic eye drops is usually prescribed to be applied to the eye 2-3 times a day. This usually clears the problem up very quickly.

It is a good idea to try to minimise irritants in his environment. So dust free litter/dust free hay etc.

Hi everyone,
can someone help me please, my giant continental rabbit who is 3 months old he has got a runny eye and its a bit pinky/red. He hasn't changed, still eating and binky-ing! He has been treated for snuffles with antibiotics but now I'm starting to think that he's allergy to something. Right now he has a runny eye, I just wondered if anyone has a rabbit that allergy to something. What was the first sign, and how did you know that that was the problem?
Big help is anyone can answer, thankyou !:)

It may be that something has irritated his eye, and made it sensitive. What litter do you use for your bunny?

Another reason for eye discharge is elongated tooth roots. Where the tooth roots are too long they can push on the nasolacrimal duct and the obstruction then precipitates a weepy eye.

Your vet can flush the tear duct, which will show if there is a blockage there causing the problem, and also prescribe eye drops if necessary.

Can you bathe it with cooled boiled water and see how it responds whilst thinking about revisiting the vet?

Back