• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny not fully neutered

My rabbit Lucca was adopted in February of last year at the age of 2. When I adopted him, I was informed that he was incorrectly/not fully neutered and that he could not bond with another rabbit. Yet, I'm not sure.. I feel as if he could bond with another male bunny and have very few problems. His past foster parent is extremely overprotective about Lucca, and would never let me try and bond him with another bunny but I REALLY want to give a second bunny a chance! I want him to have a companion because I'm always gone at school and I hate to have him be alone for 6 hours every week day, and even though I play with him I know it's not the same as another rabbit. I know he would be so much happier with another bunny friend but I don't know what to do. I have considered going to a vet to get his issues all figured out, and possibly having him go through surgery, even though I really don't want him to deal with that. Any advice would be very appreciated! Thank you!

At the end of the day, his past foster mum isn't his owner anymore, you are. You make the decisions, not her.
Whilst it's nice to respect her opinion and take it on board, ultimately everything is down to you.

I'd wait to hear some more experienced opinions but I'd call a rescue up and explain about his uncomplete neuter and see if they can help you out.
They'll hopefully help you bond which will save you the worry and the job. They should be experienced in this and will prevent any issues arising.

My rabbit Lucca was adopted in February of last year at the age of 2. When I adopted him, I was informed that he was incorrectly/not fully neutered and that he could not bond with another rabbit. Yet, I'm not sure.. I feel as if he could bond with another male bunny and have very few problems. His past foster parent is extremely overprotective about Lucca, and would never let me try and bond him with another bunny but I REALLY want to give a second bunny a chance! I want him to have a companion because I'm always gone at school and I hate to have him be alone for 6 hours every week day, and even though I play with him I know it's not the same as another rabbit. I know he would be so much happier with another bunny friend but I don't know what to do. I have considered going to a vet to get his issues all figured out, and possibly having him go through surgery, even though I really don't want him to deal with that. Any advice would be very appreciated! Thank you!

I assume you mean that he has Cryptorchidism (an undescended testicle) which the Vet who did the neuter did not retrieve (by doing an open castration) ?

I would take your Rabbit to a Vet and if it is not the Vet who performed the Neuter then the Vet you consult could try to obtain your Rabbit's clinical records from the previous Vet to try to establish exactly what did or did not occur. It is important to establish if he has an undescended testicle as these can cause problems in later life.

I would not take on another Rabbit until you have established exactly what is going on for your Buck. Hopefully you will eventually be able to adopt a companion for him as you clearly want to do your best to provide him with all he needs :)

If you have adopted Lucca, then it's you who makes the decisions as to his best welfare.

If this were my bunny I would want to find out all the facts about the neuter. Could the previous foster carer give you the name and address of the vet who did it?

Failing that I would take him to my own vet and find out what tests would be carried out, and what an operation to investigate and rectify what did or did not happen earlier in his life would entail.

It's clear you love Lucca very much. Putting him through a procedure, if this is the opinion of an experienced vet, would be doing him a kindness in the long term.

Good luck xx

Back