• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Precautions to take after volunteering with other animals

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
I am hoping to start some volunteering with an animal rescue, involving with dogs, cats and other rabbits. Since I have my own rabbit, is there any precaution I should take? My rabbit is vaccinated and soon to be panacured.

I used to work in a cat and rabbit rescue and just used to wash my hands and change my clothes when I got in, more often then not I'd hop straight in the bath/shower. But that was only because spending a whole day with cat litter trays makes you kinda want to wash and have clean clothes!

I didn't stress over it though, if I didn't change the instant I got in I didn't worry, my work shoes were in the hall and got sniffed regularly by three bunnies with no issues. I did start being over cautious when a bun at work ended up with myxi (he was vaccinated) then my shoes stayed in the car and all clothes went into washing machine and me into shower when I got home.

I did not bring anything home with me though... well except Poppy the bun, and Sugarplum the guinea pig, and the 4 little 2 day old kittens, and then the other set of kittens that had lost their Mum... all but Poppy went back though :lol:

I take my boots and waterproof coat off outside and put them in the garage. Take my clothes off as soon as I get through the door and put them straight into the washing machine. Wash my hands and then go straight in the shower.

I had a pair of boots and waterproof coat that I only ever used for going to the rescue. The rescue I volunteered at was all rabbits, with just a couple of cats.

Back