PDA

View Full Version : Surely this is wrong Pets@home?

Sarah1991
01-04-2015, 07:27 PM
I know a lot of people feel that nothing good ever gets said about pets at home, but I've just seen something that made me a bit livid, I only went in to pick up some food for our conure..

They have their larger hutches with the "three hop" display which I always see....

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk53/GENE5I5_/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150401_19_11_26_Pro.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GENE5I5_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150401_19_11_26_Pro.jpg.html)

They even had quite large hutches and runs advertised around which whilst don't meet the RWAF standards were much better than some hutches!

But displayed around where the rabbits were being sold were these cages that are barely just over two foot advertised as being suitable for one rabbit!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk53/GENE5I5_/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150401_19_11_40_Pro.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GENE5I5_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150401_19_11_40_Pro.jpg.html)

Surely this is wrong? Shouldn't this not be allowed? :cry:

MightyMax
01-04-2015, 07:31 PM
I know a lot of people feel that nothing good ever gets said about pets at home, but I've just seen something that made me a bit livid, I only went in to pick up some food for our conure..

They have their larger hutches with the "three hop" display which I always see....

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk53/GENE5I5_/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150401_19_11_26_Pro.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GENE5I5_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150401_19_11_26_Pro.jpg.html)

They even had quite large hutches and runs advertised around which whilst don't meet the RWAF standards were much better than some hutches!

But displayed around where the rabbits were being sold were these cages that are barely just over two foot advertised as being suitable for one rabbit!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk53/GENE5I5_/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150401_19_11_40_Pro.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GENE5I5_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20150401_19_11_40_Pro.jpg.html)

Surely this is wrong? Shouldn't this not be allowed? :cry:

It's certainly not best practice. It's advertised as for one young rabbit as far as I can see. Silly to encourage people to get something that their rabbit will have grown out of in a few months, even though it was never right for them in the first place!

Sarah1991
01-04-2015, 07:34 PM
It's certainly not best practice. It's advertised as for one young rabbit as far as I can see. Silly to encourage people to get something that their rabbit will have grown out of in a few months, even though it was never right for them in the first place!

Yes, I mean I understand it says it's for a "young rabbit" but obviously people are going to keep their rabbits in these....I think it's really bad practice...

MightyMax
01-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Yes, I mean I understand it says it's for a "young rabbit" but obviously people are going to keep their rabbits in these....I think it's really bad practice...

Do you feel a petition coming on ........? :)

Sarah1991
01-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Do you feel a petition coming on ........? :)

I don't know, I have complained on their facebook page but I really think this needs to be changed.

Imagine all of the rabbits that will be bought this weekend and probably forced to live their entire lives in one of these atrocities! :cry:

SarahP
01-04-2015, 07:46 PM
I think the disparity between hutch and cage size is normally justified (wrongly, in my view) that an indoor rabbit gets a lot more time out of the cage and therefore you can get away with a much smaller cage.

MightyMax
01-04-2015, 07:49 PM
I don't know, I have complained on their facebook page but I really think this needs to be changed.

Imagine all of the rabbits that will be bought this weekend and probably forced to live their entire lives in one of these atrocities! :cry:

Actually that's rather a good peg to hang a letter on, if all of us wrote to Pets at Home one way or another .. (Well all who wanted to :lol: ).
It being Easter, people are going to make impulse buys, and parents looking at a 'bargain' set up won't consider how very tiny that cage is.

Sarah1991
01-04-2015, 07:51 PM
I think the disparity between hutch and cage size is normally justified (wrongly, in my view) that an indoor rabbit gets a lot more time out of the cage and therefore you can get away with a much smaller cage.

But surely Pets at Home aren't that dim? They know rabbits will be left in these most of the day every day...it's just very sad isn't it? :cry:

Sarah1991
01-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Actually that's rather a good peg to hang a letter on, if all of us wrote to Pets at Home one way or another .. (Well all who wanted to :lol: ).
It being Easter, people are going to make impulse buys, and parents looking at a 'bargain' set up won't consider how very tiny that cage is.

Exactly :(

MightyMax
01-04-2015, 07:52 PM
But surely Pets at Home aren't that dim? They know rabbits will be left in these most of the day every day...it's just very sad isn't it? :cry:

Its more than sad. It's a step back into the dark ages .....

Crunchie
01-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Pets at home are just wrong full stop.

Sarah1991
01-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Pets at home are just wrong full stop.

It's a big step back from that leaflet someone posted the other day with a picture of a shed and run setup saying how much space rabbits need...

Freakinfreak
01-04-2015, 08:00 PM
I've got two friends who work for P@H, I'm hoping that the information I can get from them will be good for writing a news clip or similar to bring them into bad light with the press.

Does anyone else want to help draft something? We can approach local newspapers etc.

Freakinfreak
01-04-2015, 08:05 PM
To add, the breeders my local P@H have been using have been investigated once already. They are undergoing another one.

Yesterday I got them to remove a rabbit with leaky eyes and another with one sore red eye from the pen. Another, balded guinea pig was removed room suspected ringworm.

The assistant manager said he's happy if I want to come in and point out sick rabbits(!)

I desperately want them to take out the sawdust, I think I'll approach their new manager and offer my help. At the end of the day, each store can ve changed by the manager to a point so I'm going to arrange a discussion time when I can speak with him. Armed with a RWAF leaflet.

Also, he pointed out that they work very closely with the RSPCA. I then pointed out that they are only there to say what is legal. What is legal is the bare minimum, what is RWAF guidlined is best practice.

Instead of moaning about P@H I'm going to try and change at least my local branch!!!

MightyMax
01-04-2015, 08:27 PM
To add, the breeders my local P@H have been using have been investigated once already. They are undergoing another one.

Yesterday I got them to remove a rabbit with leaky eyes and another with one sore red eye from the pen. Another, balded guinea pig was removed room suspected ringworm.

The assistant manager said he's happy if I want to come in and point out sick rabbits(!)

I desperately want them to take out the sawdust, I think I'll approach their new manager and offer my help. At the end of the day, each store can ve changed by the manager to a point so I'm going to arrange a discussion time when I can speak with him. Armed with a RWAF leaflet.

Also, he pointed out that they work very closely with the RSPCA. I then pointed out that they are only there to say what is legal. What is legal is the bare minimum, what is RWAF guidlined is best practice.

Instead of moaning about P@H I'm going to try and change at least my local branch!!!

Yes, the P@H near me works with the R.S.P.C.A. I did think of alerting them to put out some message to P@H about these minuscule cages, but I doubt they would respond fast enough for Easter. (I have R.S.P.C.A. connections, but even so ...)

ImoT
01-04-2015, 08:43 PM

Apparently P@H won't sell rabbits over the Easter weekend, I think someone posted that on your facebook post….not sure how trustworthy the source is but I guess it's a step forward if it's true! Apparently people will get a voucher if they want to buy a rabbit, so maybe it will help prevent the impulse buys to an extent? I don't think these cages should be the only apparatus sold with a rabbit though, they should have to buy some sort of attachable run/puppy pen panels or something. When I got my rabbit he came in this cage and now I just use the base for his litter tray, hay and food bowl, so it is quite useful to have.

Lucy-Lou
01-04-2015, 08:45 PM

I can't believe it's acceptable to advertise rabbits as an Easter deal :shock: That's like advertising puppies as a perfect Christmas present!

In my local p@h they usually advertise 'vouchers' for a pet around Easter and Christmas, and then if you want to buy an animal as a present you can come and collect them after the holidays when things have quietened down, so the animal is less stressed and there's less chance of impulse buys. I really don't understand how this can be standard practice in one store and not another!

Sarah1991
01-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Apparently P@H won't sell rabbits over the Easter weekend, I think someone posted that on your facebook post….not sure how trustworthy the source is but I guess it's a step forward if it's true! Apparently people will get a voucher if they want to buy a rabbit, so maybe it will help prevent the impulse buys to an extent? I don't think these cages should be the only apparatus sold with a rabbit though, they should have to buy some sort of attachable run/puppy pen panels or something. When I got my rabbit he came in this cage and now I just use the base for his litter tray, hay and food bowl, so it is quite useful to have.

Even if this is true I don't see how it will change that much in the end? Parents will simply put this voucher in a card or whatever and the kids will go and pick their rabbit after the Easter weekend...I know it might stop some being sold but I'll bet it hardly makes a difference

Lucy-Lou
01-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Even if this is true I don't see how it will change that much in the end? Parents will simply put this voucher in a card or whatever and the kids will go and pick their rabbit after the Easter weekend...I know it might stop some being sold but I'll bet it hardly makes a difference

I definitely don't think it's ideal, but at least it helps stop animals being seen as an impulse buy, in that people can't just walk in and take one home and they have to do some amount of planning.

Ideally I'd love pet shops not to sell any live animals, but p@h is a hell of a lot better than most local pet shops near me that sell animals in awful tiny cages :( It's disappointing to see them promoting 'Easter deals' for rabbits :(

Clare-uk
01-04-2015, 09:06 PM
I can't believe it's acceptable to advertise rabbits as an Easter deal :shock: That's like advertising puppies as a perfect Christmas present!

In my local p@h they usually advertise 'vouchers' for a pet around Easter and Christmas, and then if you want to buy an animal as a present you can come and collect them after the holidays when things have quietened down, so the animal is less stressed and there's less chance of impulse buys. I really don't understand how this can be standard practice in one store and not another!
That's what got me, the fact that it has cracking easter deal, suggesting get a bun for easter & stick it in this tiny prison :cry: the view by many is "if it's not suitable for rabbits, why would they sell it" I've heard this said many times. And welfare charities can do all they can, the fact is its only responsible owners who will read up on care & they're not the problem owners! Big companies need to take welfare more seriously & stop selling these litter trays as homes.

I do know my local pah doesn't sell rabbits over easter but you can reserve them & pick them up after which is basically the same thing?!

ImoT
01-04-2015, 09:34 PM

I agree it's far from ideal, but I suppose some is better than none. Hopefully with RSPCA and/or RWAF involvement the Easter deal can be stopped (as a start)!

moi
01-04-2015, 09:36 PM
They have condradicted themselves by saying remember the 3 hop rule then selling tiny cages x

MightyMax
01-04-2015, 09:57 PM
They have condradicted themselves by saying remember the 3 hop rule then selling tiny cages x

Yes ^^

This should be pointed out to them :thumb:

Sarah1991
01-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Yes ^^

This should be pointed out to them :thumb:

I was speaking to Jo Hinde and she said that apparently they justify having the small indoor cages as they ''assume'' that rabbits indoors will not be kept in these cages for long periods and will be allowed to roam the house, whereas rabbit outdoors a hutch would be their permanent residence....

MightyMax
01-04-2015, 10:46 PM
I was speaking to Jo Hinde and she said that apparently they justify having the small indoor cages as they ''assume'' that rabbits indoors will not be kept in these cages for long periods and will be allowed to roam the house, whereas rabbit outdoors a hutch would be their permanent residence....

<sigh> I can't really imagine they don't know how destructive rabbits can be. It must be a naive excuse to sell these tiny cages, reinforcing the myth that rabbits are very cheap pets to keep.

Jack's-Jane
02-04-2015, 06:43 AM

In other words 'we promote buying an Easter Rabbit that you can then incarcerate in solitary confinement in a cage that is even too small for a Guinea Pig'

Eeeeeeejits :evil:

Sarah1991
02-04-2015, 07:34 AM

In other words 'we promote buying an Easter Rabbit that you can then incarcerate in solitary confinement in a cage that is even too small for a Guinea Pig'

Eeeeeeejits :evil:

The worst thing is I posted this on my FB page and there are quite a few people arguing with me that this is ''fine'' for a night time cage/whilst you are at work etc...

I mean I know I'm hitting my head against a brick wall but I'm trying to explain that rabbits are generally most active when we are asleep, like really early hours and they just don't get that locking them up in one of these is a disgrace...I'll keep trying though.

tulsi
02-04-2015, 11:57 AM
The worst thing is I posted this on my FB page and there are quite a few people arguing with me that this is ''fine'' for a night time cage/whilst you are at work etc...

I mean I know I'm hitting my head against a brick wall but I'm trying to explain that rabbits are generally most active when we are asleep, like really early hours and they just don't get that locking them up in one of these is a disgrace...I'll keep trying though.

Its an uphill struggle. Even on here I read people saying that they shut their rabbits in hutches for the night ...

Jack's-Jane
02-04-2015, 12:44 PM

Then they will be moaning about the fact that they are being kept awake all night by their Rabbit chewing the bars of their prison....I mean cage :roll:

I cant understand how P@H can appear to promote more appropriate Housing in a leaflet, then undo it all by trying to make a quick buck (Sorry!!) on an Easter Deal selling a cage not anywhere near recommended size standards.

Sarah
02-04-2015, 01:01 PM
I fell out with my local PAH and - they were selling their smallest size hutch, an adoption centre rabbit and a harness (!!) to two people who hadn't a clue.

I am normally calm but lost it a bit and have not been in since.

tlcwrites
02-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Ugh yikes. We got one of these years back for a single(!) guinea pig, but we STILL upgraded it as he grew older. I think the base is now being used as a tray for seedlings in the back garden now. I also swear Athena is currently using the tray of a hamster cage as a litter tray. That's bigger than these. We don't keep hamsters anymore; the last hamster cage we had was massive. Bigger than many cages (prisons) sold for rabbits/guinea pigs these days. We sold it to a friend who now uses it as a home base for her rats.

My local P@H is very hit and miss. Their sales of fish are usually pretty good (asking if the tank is cycled or not and so on) but not so impressed on other aspects. At least they didn't try to force one of these ridiculous indoor cages on us when we picked up Athena. :roll: Her base is the largest dog kennel we can find, but she's allowed free range of the whole house during the day and dining room/kitchen at night. But she's a lucky one I guess.

Mandmcc
03-04-2015, 09:28 AM
I was in p@h last night and they had cards everywhere (and about a million baby rabbits being sold two for £52) that said their cages exceeded guidelines so rabbits would have even more room to hop! I couldn't believe my eyes, I was like really? Went and looked at the cages.... Not really!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roxyroller88
03-04-2015, 03:05 PM
We fell for this! We did a little bit of research before getting our buns but nowhere near enough! We only went in to P@H for Hamster food and came out with our two boys, bad idea really considering that we were already considering getting some Rabbits! They were in the adoption center and they looked so miserable that we couldn't leave them behind! We got a 2 tier cage that was recommended to us by the assistant and it's pretty obvious now that it was a complete rip off and totally unsuitable! Flimsy too! As soon as we got home we did lots of research and decided that we would split the cage into two halves, leave it open at all times and give them the spare bedroom for when we are out of the house and when we are home they have the whole house (well... they have upstairs because they won't do the stairs! Haha!). I guess our two were lucky that we decided to look into it but I imagine that there are plenty of families out there that will happily take the advice from P@H and just won't bother... :(

Before

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/Holly_Stockton/Facebook/Hiro%20and%20Sylar/10442467_1570268906585406_633425144383357914_n_zps mdnj73cv.jpg (http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/Holly_Stockton/media/Facebook/Hiro%20and%20Sylar/10442467_1570268906585406_633425144383357914_n_zps mdnj73cv.jpg.html)

After :) (It's actually a lot better now but haven't got any recent photos!)

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/Holly_Stockton/Facebook/Hiro%20and%20Sylar/1911800_1570269549918675_5452039672498787927_n_zps rvifrqxe.jpg (http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/Holly_Stockton/media/Facebook/Hiro%20and%20Sylar/1911800_1570269549918675_5452039672498787927_n_zps rvifrqxe.jpg.html)

Crunchie
03-04-2015, 03:09 PM
We fell for this! We did a little bit of research before getting our buns but nowhere near enough! We only went in to P@H for Hamster food and came out with our two boys, bad idea really considering that we were already considering getting some Rabbits! They were in the adoption center and they looked so miserable that we couldn't leave them behind! We got a 2 tier cage that was recommended to us by the assistant and it's pretty obvious now that it was a complete rip off and totally unsuitable! Flimsy too! As soon as we got home we did lots of research and decided that we would split the cage into two halves, leave it open at all times and give them the spare bedroom for when we are out of the house and when we are home they have the whole house (well... they have upstairs because they won't do the stairs! Haha!). I guess our two were lucky that we decided to look into it but I imagine that there are plenty of families out there that will happily take the advice from P@H and just won't bother... :(

Before

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/Holly_Stockton/Facebook/Hiro%20and%20Sylar/10442467_1570268906585406_633425144383357914_n_zps mdnj73cv.jpg (http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/Holly_Stockton/media/Facebook/Hiro%20and%20Sylar/10442467_1570268906585406_633425144383357914_n_zps mdnj73cv.jpg.html)

After :) (It's actually a lot better now but haven't got any recent photos!)

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/Holly_Stockton/Facebook/Hiro%20and%20Sylar/1911800_1570269549918675_5452039672498787927_n_zps rvifrqxe.jpg (http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/Holly_Stockton/media/Facebook/Hiro%20and%20Sylar/1911800_1570269549918675_5452039672498787927_n_zps rvifrqxe.jpg.html)

That looks like a really good set up they have now. :)

Sarah1991
03-04-2015, 03:27 PM
That new setup is gorgeous! :thumb:

I was in contact with a girl called Sally who is in contact with Pets at Home and she said that they do not sell rabbits over the Easter period but instead offer vouchers (as said before) But Lisa (Mabel and Sox's Mum) has just told me that she was in there and saw a little girl getting a rabbit so that's obviously a complete lie...

roxyroller88
03-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Thank you :D They've settled in really well so I assume they like it too!
Also, they were 3 and a half months old when I got them and they were both unneutered and I wasn't told anything about boys fighting :/ As the buyer I have to take some responsibility for not doing enough research but I think that they probably should have warned us what COULD happen if they were left unneutered. We took them the vets the next day and both their testicles had dropped and sure enough, as soon as they got comfortable in their space, the territorial behaviour began. Luckily it never escalated into a full on fight but I do think that a warning should be given when getting a same sex pair from P@H! They are happy, neutered snuggle bunnies now though!

liz.lewis15
04-04-2015, 10:23 AM
We also bought the tiny cage, which is just used as a litter tray for our two as they have a whole room in the house and free range downstairs at night! I feel guilty when I have to put them in a carry case to take them somewhere as they look too closed in! I'd also prefer pet shops to stop selling live animals, and get so upset when I see tiny outdoor or indoor hutches being advertised for bunnies...our hamster has more space than some of these. And also people need to realise that 'minimum space' means just that, it is the absolute minimum space the bunny needs, but more is better! And it's space for the bunny to live, not the minimum space you are prepared to sacrifice in your house or garden. If you can't provide what they need, then don't get one...

Ok, rant over...

mini lop1
04-04-2015, 10:02 PM
That new setup is gorgeous! :thumb:

I was in contact with a girl called Sally who is in contact with Pets at Home and she said that they do not sell rabbits over the Easter period but instead offer vouchers (as said before) But Lisa (Mabel and Sox's Mum) has just told me that she was in there and saw a little girl getting a rabbit so that's obviously a complete lie...

:cry: I know so much for easter amnesty, total lies, only went in as nephew wanted to look at fish and we went b&m :cry:

MightyMax
04-04-2015, 10:17 PM
We also bought the tiny cage, which is just used as a litter tray for our two as they have a whole room in the house and free range downstairs at night! I feel guilty when I have to put them in a carry case to take them somewhere as they look too closed in! I'd also prefer pet shops to stop selling live animals, and get so upset when I see tiny outdoor or indoor hutches being advertised for bunnies...our hamster has more space than some of these. And also people need to realise that 'minimum space' means just that, it is the absolute minimum space the bunny needs, but more is better! And it's space for the bunny to live, not the minimum space you are prepared to sacrifice in your house or garden. If you can't provide what they need, then don't get one...

Ok, rant over...

I think this is the best use for a P@H cage :shock: