• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Xeno 450 for *suspected* mites

KMazzy

Alpha Buck
Poor wee Jaffa went to the vet today after I found a little bald patch with some flaky skin on the back of his neck and noticed he'd been scratching more than normal. (I thought it was his ears so had been checking them but not the actual neck skin.)

The vet checked him all over but couldn't see any evidence of Cheyletiella as he just has one tiny patch of bare skin and no moving flakes.

She gave me Xeno 450 for him, but only one dose as there's no clear evidence of mites. If it seems to clear up the bald patch should I give another dose or even two more as is normally recommended for mites? Is it pointless to just give the single dose?

Poor Jaffa has been a bit under the weather lately (he had stasis 2 weeks ago) so that might be why the (possible) mites are appearing now.

Any advice is very welcome thank you.

Hello there,
Two of my rabbits had suspected mites, me & the vet (I work there) did a sticky tape test and still didn't find any.
I used 3 doses of them both and that cleared up the dandruff :)
Noah compendium says; "For the treatment of an existing infestation, repeat doses are required two weeks and four weeks after the initial application." So if Jaffa does have mites, I would say that one dose won't work. I would contact your vet and question them, or you could just buy more off the internet.
Hope this helped!

EDIT: Here is the link for NOAH; http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Dechra_Veterinary_Products_Limited/Xeno_450_Spot-on_Solution_for_Topical_Administration/-40779.html

Last edited:
Poor wee Jaffa went to the vet today after I found a little bald patch with some flaky skin on the back of his neck and noticed he'd been scratching more than normal. (I thought it was his ears so had been checking them but not the actual neck skin.)

The vet checked him all over but couldn't see any evidence of Cheyletiella as he just has one tiny patch of bare skin and no moving flakes.

She gave me Xeno 450 for him, but only one dose as there's no clear evidence of mites. If it seems to clear up the bald patch should I give another dose or even two more as is normally recommended for mites? Is it pointless to just give the single dose?

Poor Jaffa has been a bit under the weather lately (he had stasis 2 weeks ago) so that might be why the (possible) mites are appearing now.

Has Jaffa been vaccinated within the last month?

If there is no evidence of mites, then prescribing a 'one off' dose of Xeno 450 seems a bit bonkers to me. It won't address the life cycle of the mites and will be the administration of a substance for what reason? Either treat as Flo has indicated (one or two further doses) or don't bother!

No he's not due vaccs until May.

Maybe I'll ring and ask the vet what they reckon. I don't want to have wasted my time and money on half a job so I'll probably finish the course. Poor buns looked so unimpressed with it though and little Ren still had clumpy fur this morning.

Any recommendations on where online to buy more?

Thank you both for your help.

Maybe I'll ring and ask the vet what they reckon. I don't want to have wasted my time and money on half a job so I'll probably finish the course. Poor buns looked so unimpressed with it though and little Ren still had clumpy fur this morning.

I don't go in for spot on treatments, unfortunately, so I can't tell you where to buy from.

I always get the vet to inject and go back for the follow up two treatments.

Good luck whatever you decide to do xx

There's the clue, I bet he had some injections during his bout of stasis ? If so the dry bald spot is probably just the tail end of a local reaction to an injection. Personally I would not apply any more Xeno in the absence of any evidence of mites. If you do still want to do so then you can buy it from here :

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/xeno-450-spot-on-6-pipettes.html

Ah, I asked about that as the bald patch you described could be a reaction to him having had an injection. If he hasn't had any recently then it's probably not the needle that's irritated his skin x

There's the clue, I bet he had some injections during his bout of stasis ? If so the dry bald spot is probably just the tail end of a local reaction to an injection. Personally I would not apply any more Xeno in the absence of any evidence of mites. If you do still want to do so then you can buy it from here :

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/xeno-450-spot-on-6-pipettes.html

Absolutely right Jane. He had emeprid and loxicom injected.
I'd rather not give any unnecessary medicine so will probably just chalk this up to experience and learn my lesson for the future.

I feel bad for Ren now who has possibly had completely unnecessary meds! She holds a grudge much longer than Jaffa too.

Thank you for the link anyway.

Absolutely right Jane. He had emeprid and loxicom injected.
I'd rather not give any unnecessary medicine so will probably just chalk this up to experience and learn my lesson for the future.

I feel bad for Ren now who has possibly had completely unnecessary meds! She holds a grudge much longer than Jaffa too.

Thank you for the link anyway.

I am sure Ren will forgive you in the end !! I do know what it is like to be on the reciving end of 'the look' from a disgruntled Rabbit though :shock:

At least she didn't have to go to the vet. Jaffa turned his nose up at a treat on the way home and then I got a hefty dose of the foot flicks when I let him out of the carrier. They make me feel so guilty. :?

At least she didn't have to go to the vet. Jaffa turned his nose up at a treat on the way home and then I got a hefty dose of the foot flicks when I let him out of the carrier. They make me feel so guilty. :?

Oh I know, they certainly have the knack of sending us on guilt trips !!

Haha, the guilt from a rabbit's disapproving look :lol: Or foot flick as in this case ;)

I doubt that it was a reaction to any injection - that is pretty rare!
I would personally contact your vet and hopefully get two more doses of xeno to give :)

I doubt that it was a reaction to any injection - that is pretty rare!
I would personally contact your vet and hopefully get two more doses of xeno to give :)

Approx half my rabbits have had a reaction to the vaccination, and occasionally to baytril.

The first time I noticed a reaction, it was a great weeping sore on my rabbit's back/neck. Looked horrific!

I'll keep an eye on it. It really is a tiny patch (smaller than a 5p). It's no hassle to pop down to the vet for 2 more doses if necessary. But I'd really rather only give them if necessary.

I'll keep an eye on it. It really is a tiny patch (smaller than a 5p). It's no hassle to pop down to the vet for 2 more doses if necessary. But I'd really rather only give them if necessary.

You were very hawk-eyed to spot such a tiny patch. Most people would probably have missed it :D

You were very hawk-eyed to spot such a tiny patch. Most people would probably have missed it :D

I only noticed as he was standing stretched right up trying to reach something (inside the hay box, cos hay in there clearly tastes superior to hay I have just got out for him...).

I only noticed as he was standing stretched right up trying to reach something (inside the hay box, cos hay in there clearly tastes superior to hay I have just got out for him...).

It seems they want anything that you don't give them ..... naughty rabbits :lol:

Back