• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wet poos and cecals

lucy24

Mama Doe
charlie has always had a sensitive tummy. the slightest bit too much veg or pellets and he has loads of excess ceacals . its really bad at the moment and even some of his normal poos are wet looking at times. any suggestions? he is literally only having hay at the moment because of it.

I will be interested in any replies as Prudhoe is having the same problem. .huge amount of uneaten cecals and sloppy half formed poops.
He only gets a few SS pellets and hay now.

How odd, my Toffee is the same ! He's eating loads of hay, small amount of pellets, no veg or grass- seems fine ! Strange thing is, he does lovely poos at night, seems to be wet during the day !

bisc has the same issues. he's ok at the moment but a while back he had awful ones. i think related to moulting athough his tummy sensitivity sometimes doesn't seem to have any pattern or reason that is obvious.

hope you can work out what is going on x

Does he have any seagrass toys? The only reason I ask is because I've been having a similar issue with Mini, no unusual food or stress (other than loosing Meg but to be honest I think they knew, they've been fine otherwise) and almost as soon as I took away a new seagrass mat I'd bought them she was fine. So i've realised that it must be the seagrass that upsets her tummy.

Does he have any seagrass toys? The only reason I ask is because I've been having a similar issue with Mini, no unusual food or stress (other than loosing Meg but to be honest I think they knew, they've been fine otherwise) and almost as soon as I took away a new seagrass mat I'd bought them she was fine. So i've realised that it must be the seagrass that upsets her tummy.

i just bought bisc a seagrass tunnel for the first time! so will watch out for him reacting.

hays that are too rich caused issues with both bisc and matt. oxbow hays, oat hays, even very rich timothy. and basically any veg aswell. bisc was having fresh herbs but now is only able to tolerate thyme.

i just bought bisc a seagrass tunnel for the first time! so will watch out for him reacting.

hays that are too rich caused issues with both bisc and matt. oxbow hays, oat hays, even very rich timothy. and basically any veg aswell. bisc was having fresh herbs but now is only able to tolerate thyme.

Mmm that's made me think, mine have had a little bit oat hay these last 2 weeks, for the first time. Treacle's fine, cast iron tum ! could be setting Toffee off maybe !

Actually the last bale of hay was Timothy not the usual meadow hay. Maybe thats caused it. Ive got meadow this time so i will keep an eye on him. He doesn't have a sea grass mat though. How strange we are all having similar issues! Lol he is fine in himself though haha

could well be the oat hay. especially those fluffy seed heads it has.

so many rabbits seem to have sensitive tummies don't they :( bisc's is under control the majority of the time, although we have had to adapt his diet over time. :wave:

I am beginning to feel like I may be becoming obsessed with Avipro Plus and it's amazing efficacy as a pre/probiotic, I seem to be going on about it all the time. But honestly, it has worked absolute miracles for one of my Rabbits who has a chronic gut problem and will only ever be able to have a hay/forage diet. Results dont appear overnight, it can take a good 6 weeks for the gut flora to re-establish. The Exotics Vets who have helped my Vet with advice re my Rabbit feel that Avipro Plus is the best pre/probiotic and I certainly agree as I have seen the results with my own eyes. You can buy it here

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark_Avip...04ZpDowa8cwnYuuECHZW0xHaz_zZ3yPygRhoCPsXw_wcB

Thanks Jane:thumb: - I have just ordered some and will give it ago. I am assuming it is Prudhoe - could be Bug but she's not had problems before they were bonded. Either way - they will both get some and we will see how we go.

Thanks Jane:thumb: - I have just ordered some and will give it ago. I am assuming it is Prudhoe - could be Bug but she's not had problems before they were bonded. Either way - they will both get some and we will see how we go.

Hope it helps :)

Thanks i will look at that too. Charlie is better this morning. But i will still look at that probiotic Jane, thank you

Ooh think I'll get some too, I've only just done a Viovet order, might be able to add it on !

I'm not sure how Jane gives it to her bunnies but the same vet who I think Jane is talking about told me to sprinkle it over Doughnut's food when she was on so much medicine. If it went in her water she wouldn't take in enough. He also changed Doughnut from pellets to russell rabbit muesli and this helped, much to my horror and she's been on it every since. Apparently he doesn't think it's bad if the rabbit is eating a lot of hay.

I'm not sure how Jane gives it to her bunnies but the same vet who I think Jane is talking about told me to sprinkle it over Doughnut's food when she was on so much medicine. If it went in her water she wouldn't take in enough. He also changed Doughnut from pellets to russell rabbit muesli and this helped, much to my horror and she's been on it every since. Apparently he doesn't think it's bad if the rabbit is eating a lot of hay.

Lord H has his in peppermint tea !! He has a mug of it with breakfast and another one in the evening !! He LOVES it :D

Back